New Stuff about PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
scooby said:
Anyways, It my opinion that Sony can not afford a PS2 style launch, lets be real, it was weak as hell. They have a real competitor here, with real momentum, they will need software to counter that momentum.

Ummm... they had a real competitor with the PS2 too. So what's the problem?

scooby_dooby said:
It is and always has been a CONSOLE game first, PC game second.
I disagree. Was it not in development long before console development kits were available? From the Morrowind website...
Well, we started the project soon after Morrowind, and our team was split into two groups -- one working on technology for Oblivion, and one working on expansion packs.

Which is middle of 2002, before anyone knew anything about XB360, and if anything was known it was that the platform would have 256 mb RAM. If they'd been developing for console and porting to PC, they'd be targetting 256 mb RAM? :???:
The entire control scheme has been redesigned for a console.
Well duh! Every PC port has a control scheme redesigned for console :D . I had a brief peruse of the Morrowind website today and stumbled on this that has relevance... http://www.morrowind.com/codex/team_teamprof_stevem.htm
He's upon you pretty quickly though, and you barely have time to raise your shield (hold right mouse button) before his first blow thunders down upon you.
But you block well, and as he recoils from the collision, you quickly perform left & right slashes with your sword (two clicks of the left mouse button, about a second apart). The bully realizes this isn't going to be easy.

If that's talking about a console game why are they using a mouse?
Bethesda has stated, EXPLICITLY that the x360 will run the best possible version, with all setting maxed out, and that the best a PC wil be able to do is MATCH it.
Though I'm not saying this isn't true, I've never heard this/seen it written down from anywhere before you've mentioned it. Can you link to the source?
This isn't a PC game, this is a console game ported to PC.
I disagree. I'd say it was developed concurrently. The same assets are used and a different engine was developed for each platform. Bethseda know the PC market is going to be an order of magnitude larger than the XB360 market, and there'll write for that audience. It's quite possible XB360 will have the best graphics - it has a very powerful GPU in a closed system so it can be maxxed out. But as for best game, it doesn't have a keyboard, mouse, or HDD as standard, components that contribute to the PC experience. I think like any well developed cross-platform game it'll make the most of all platforms, being WRITTEN for all platforms instead of being just a port of a recompiled source.

scooby_dooby said:
It is and always has been a CONSOLE game first, PC game second.

Having been used for several PC RPGs, I tend to associate the Gamebryo engine with that platform most of all.

Shifty Geezer said:
Though I'm not saying this isn't true, I've never heard this/seen it written down from anywhere before you've mentioned it. Can you link to the source?

I think he was talking about this interview:

"TCW: "Will the 360 version of Oblivion be equal or superior to the PC version?"

Pete Hines: "That’s a tough question because “PCâ€￾ can mean an almost infinite number of things. What video card? Sound card? How much RAM? Are the right drivers installed? The list goes on and on. All these things determine performance on a PC. The advantage of the Xbox 360 is that it’s designed to run our game, period. You know if you have a 360 it will look as good as it can possibly look. If you have the latest, greatest PC with the best video card, etc., it will probably look the same as the Xbox 360 version. Anything else will probably lag behind."

http://theconsolewars.blogspot.com/2005/08/exclusive-interview-with-pete-hines-of.html

Lysander said:
price, perhaps; based on OPS2, ps3 will cost just over 700$ in UK

HAHAHAHA!!!:LOL: OMG!! You *burst out in tears* You, OMG, you actually believe that? HAHAHA!!!

Ok I'm good now. Lysander tell me why would you even post that? You should know that in no way is that even close to being possible. And you know what gets me? All of these people want to yell about how expensive the PS3 will be, yet even though it's coming out about 6 months later and suppose to be hundreds of dollars more those same people will say that the PS3 will basically be on the same level as the xbox360.

How can one be $700 and the other be $300-$400 and still compete, with both getting CPUs from IBM and also getting GPUs from respectable companies? Thanks for the laugh Lysander. I needed it.

$700 dollars in UK is about £380, which is what I'd expect to pay for a cutting edge video-media player (in this case HD BluRay player). As a console that's an outrageous price, but as an all-in-one media centre it's a fair price. So though I doubt it's likely, and it would limit uptake of the hardware, it's not outside the realm of possibility. After all didn't the 3DO launch at those sorts of prices?

mckmas8808 said:
HAHAHAHA!!!:LOL: OMG!! You *burst out in tears* You, OMG, you actually believe that? HAHAHA!!!

Ok I'm good now. Lysander tell me why would you even post that? You should know that in no way is that even close to being possible.

Well actually I don't see that as being so far off. The PS2 cost outrageous amounts when it launched here in Finland, and when I bought mine like a YEAR later, the price had gone down to something like 400 euros.

How can one be $700 and the other be $300-$400 and still compete, with both getting CPUs from IBM and also getting GPUs from respectable companies? Thanks for the laugh Lysander. I needed it.

You will pay for your blu ray.

"TCW: "Will the 360 version of Oblivion be equal or superior to the PC version?"

Pete Hines: "That’s a tough question because “PCâ€￾ can mean an almost infinite number of things. What video card? Sound card? How much RAM? Are the right drivers installed? The list goes on and on. All these things determine performance on a PC. The advantage of the Xbox 360 is that it’s designed to run our game, period. You know if you have a 360 it will look as good as it can possibly look. If you have the latest, greatest PC with the best video card, etc., it will probably look the same as the Xbox 360 version. Anything else will probably lag behind.

When people ask us whether or not to do a major PC upgrade or get the console version of one of our games, we always recommend the console version. Our games tend to push the limits of technology pretty hard, so it’s much easier to predict performance on a closed box than one with thousands of possible configurations."

Mckmass - Dremacast wasn't a real competitor in that it lacked 3rd party support, and ultimately didn't have the game line-up. I never once considered a dreamcast for purchase because it's game line-up was paltry. Heck PS2 didn't even begin to pick up steam until years 2 and 3 when it started getting a decent line-up.

MS is pretty much the polar opposite. They will have no shortage of 3rd party support, no shortage of advertising dollars, they will have a low price-point, this is a much more threatening opponent than dreamcast ever was IMO.

Shifty - They are saying that the controls in Morrowind were pretty bad seeign as it was a PC game then ported to XBOX. This time around, the controls are supposed to me much more intuitive and more fluid since the game was intended for consoles from Day 1.

I was never a big morrowind fan so I can't really comment on it's control mechanisms. But regardless, the argument that it's a PC game first console second is bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
I never once considered a dreamcast for purchase because it's game line-up was paltry.

If you're not going to edit that to 'launch line-up' I'm going to laugh until somewhere next month.

scooby_dooby said:
Mckmass - Dremacast wasn't a real competitor in that it lacked 3rd party support, and ultimately didn't have the game line-up. I never once considered a dreamcast for purchase because it's game line-up was paltry. Heck PS2 didn't even begin to pick up steam until years 2 and 3 when it started getting a decent line-up.

MS is pretty much the polar opposite. They will have no shortage of 3rd party support, no shortage of advertising dollars, they will have a low price-point, this is a much more threatening opponent than dreamcast ever was IMO.

Scooby people aren't going to respect you if you say things like this. The Dreamcast was always a real competitor. There are people to this day that agrue that the Dreamcast could do this and that better than the PS2. Till this day people say that Dreamcast games in 2000 were better than PS2 games in that same year. What are you talking about. And 2 to 3 years for the PS2? What? The PS2 might not have had 100 launch games, but it did have great games in 2001 for sure. Not sure about this 2 to 3 years thing.

I agree with you that the x360 is a bigger opponent to the PS3 than the Dreamcast was to the PS2, but what does that hold? Nothing! All that means is that the x360 will not be thrown off to the wilderness after a couple years. Not anything that I want to be compared to. You know what I mean?

Even though I'm an Xbox fan, I really think that the PS3 has teh most legs. I mean downstream in 4 years the x360 will reach its upper limit maxing out its FP and Xenos' efficiency and begin to fall behind PS3.

If I was good at drawing curves it would have a "y" axis = power which includes efficiency, effects, etc., and an "x" axis that = time. x360 should start out a lil higher on the "y" scale than PS3 and scale up smoothly to the right for three and a half years until it peaks at time 4 years (2009/10).

The PS3 will start a little lower on the "y" scale and scale much more dramtically peaking probably in year 5 of its life 2011 or so. I think the power curve will be similar in both right up until christmas 2009 or so when the PS3 will start pulling away gradually... then dramatically

Can somebody draw that? LOL

scooby_dooby said:

Pete Hines: "That’s a tough question because “PCâ€￾ can mean an almost infinite number of things. What video card? Sound card? How much RAM? Are the right drivers installed? The list goes on and on. All these things determine performance on a PC. The advantage of the Xbox 360 is that it’s designed to run our game, period. You know if you have a 360 it will look as good as it can possibly look. If you have the latest, greatest PC with the best video card, etc., it will probably look the same as the Xbox 360 version. Anything else will probably lag behind.

When people ask us whether or not to do a major PC upgrade or get the console version of one of our games, we always recommend the console version. Our games tend to push the limits of technology pretty hard, so it’s much easier to predict performance on a closed box than one with thousands of possible configurations."

You're taking quotes from a PR guy.. Having the "latest and greatest PC" could mean just about anything.

sklaar said:
The PS3 Game Lineup So Far

Namco
Tekken 6
Ridge Racer 6

source http://forums.e-mpire.com/showthread.php?t=39199

I'll take all of those "anonymous source" quotes with a truckload of salt. But I'm not even sure how confident I should be with the game lineup. I'm quite positive that Ridge Racer 6 is an Xbox 360 exclusive (at least for the moment). I don't see "PS3" together with "Ridge Racer 6" anywhere on Gamespot, IGN or Gamespy. Plus, Namco's website only has Xbox 360 listed as a platform. (http://namco-ch.net/ridgeracer6/index.php)

Although, I could be wrong.

Either way, I think there are better sources for PS3 info out there. Now, I'm not trying to show bias for any console here. To be reasonable, I'll reserve my opinion for which console is more "powerful" until both consoles are out. I'm just saying that asking PSM for a PS3 to X360 comparison is like asking a Greenpeace activist for their opinion on environmental issues.

blakjedi said:
Even though I'm an Xbox fan, I really think that the PS3 has teh most legs. I mean downstream in 4 years the x360 will reach its upper limit maxing out its FP and Xenos' efficiency and begin to fall behind PS3.

If I was good at drawing curves it would have a "y" axis = power which includes efficiency, effects, etc., and an "x" axis that = time. x360 should start out a lil higher on the "y" scale than PS3 and scale up smoothly to the right for three and a half years until it peaks at time 4 years (2009/10).

The PS3 will start a little lower on the "y" scale and scale much more dramtically peaking probably in year 5 of its life 2011 or so. I think the power curve will be similar in both right up until christmas 2009 or so when the PS3 will start pulling away gradually... then dramatically

Can somebody draw that? LOL

Good description. I can visualize that being somewhat true. I like where you live too. Nice place.:smile:

Lysander said:
"christmas 2009,2010, 2011"!! You are talking serious or joking. Who cares for 2011?

That's like asking who cares about PS2 2005. Lots of people. Probably many more than will be interested in next-gen consoles this year.

Of course, unless you're used to 4 year console cycles :p

seismologist said:
You're taking quotes from a PR guy..
And you're completely disproved by them. PR guy or not, the quote came from Bethesda and it reflects their position better than anything else we have. That they generally suggest the console version over the PC version is not a point in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back