A quick XBOX 360 vs. PS3 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcforest

Newcomer
This is based on early E3 impressions and information disclosed to date. I'm sure much more information about both platforms will be released in the future and the debate will continue for years to come. All opinions expressed below (including your own) are subjective.

CPU
-----

XBOX 360 FACT: A Power/PowerPC derivative with 3 cores running at 3.2GHz, SMT support, 1 VMX unit per core, 1MB L2 cache

PS3 FACT: CELL with 1 PPE (Power/PowerPC derivative running at 3.2GHz, SMT support, 1 VMX unit, 512KB cache) and 7 SPE's (running at 3.2GHz, 256KB local store each)

COMMENTARY: Microsoft claims that the XBOX 360 CPU does 115Gflops. Sony claims that CELL does 218 Gflops. On paper, advantage Sony. The real test is how easy it is to extract those gigaflops in a real game and avoid potential bottlenecks. Based on the data to date, I believe CELL has less bottlenecks to extracting maximum performance out of the CPU. I'll try and explain it in more detail in a separate post. But, the Microsoft CPU is no slouch either and should do quite well, it just won't hit the same levels of efficiency as CELL.

Advantage: Sony

GPU
-----

XBOX 360 FACT: Uses a custom ATI GPU with a unified shader model, 48 ALU's, and 10MB of embedded DRAM

PS3 FACT: Uses a custom NVIDIA GPU running at 550MHz

COMMENTARY: I already made my predictions about GPU features & performance in this thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22909

The first prediction has come true and I believe the 2nd part will as well. A lot of folks will have the opinion that the ATI GPU is somehow "better" because it has a little bit of embedded DRAM. If entire graphics scenes could fit in the 10MB of embedded DRAM, that might be the case, but today's graphics scenes require signficantly more than that. The NVIDIA GPU has 256MB of high-speed GDDR3 DRAM connected to it (22GB/s) and has a 20GB/s (read) connection to the 256MB of XDR memory. The GPU can read/write both memories simultaneously. It will not be the bandwidth "slouch" that some might think. When all is said and done, I believe the NVIDIA part will be the faster of the two designs by a small amount.

Advantage: close, but to Sony

Main Memory
---------------
XBOX 360 FACT: Uses 512MB of 700MHz GDDR3 DRAM (22GB/s bandwidth)

PS3 FACT: Uses 256MB of 3.2GHz XDR memory (25GB/s bandwidth) + 256MB of 700MHz GDDR3 (22GB/s bandwidth)

COMMENTARY: The XBOX 360 uses a UMA shared memory design. The CPU and GPU will be competing for the 22GB/s of bandwidth. The PS3 has separate pools and bandwidth so there will not be memory contention between CPU & GPU (unless the GPU is accessing XDR memory, which is can do for additional performance). XDR + the on-die memory controller will give CELL better latencies than the XBOX CPU.

Optical Storage
------------------
XBOX 360 FACT: Uses a 12X DVD-ROM drive with backwards compatibility CD-ROM

PS3 FACT: Uses a Blu-ray disc BD-ROM drive with backwards compatibility with DVD-ROM and CD-ROM

COMMENTARY: Clear cut advantage for Sony. Blu-ray disc will allow Sony to publish future games with lots of storage needs (up to 54GB), as well as support high-definition movies. Sony's Blu-ray drive is a clear superset of the XBOX 360 offering.

Magnetic Storage
--------------------
XBOX 360 FACT: supports a 2.5" optional, removable hard drive

PS3 FACT: supports a 2.5" optional, removable hard drive

COMMENTARY: Both seem to have the same level of support.

Advantage: Tie

Sound
-------
XBOX 360 FACT: Sound processing done on the CPU

PS3 FACT: Sound processing done on the CPU (CELL)

COMMENTARY: Both systems do sound processing in software and will support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS (as well has normal LPCM). Sony will also support the newer sound formats, Dolby Digital+ and DTS HD, on Blu-ray discs for even more advanced Home Theather. It is unclear if games might use the advanced sound codecs.

Networking
-------------
XBOX 360 FACT: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port, optional Wi-Fi, no Bluetooth

PS3 FACT: 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 input + 2 output), Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0

COMMENTARY: XBOX 360 has only the Ethernet port built-in. You have to pay extra for the optional Wi-Fi unit. Sony, on the other hand, has really "set the bar" for network connectivity with Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support built-in. You should be able to network all kinds of devices to your PS3 (e.g, PC's, PSP's, PDA's, cell phones, etc.)

I/O Connectivity
------------------
XBOX 360 FACT: 3 USB 2.0 ports

PS3 FACT: 6 USB 2.0 ports (4 front, 2 rear), Memory Stick slot (standard and DUO), SD slot, Compact Flash slot (Type I & II).

COMMENTARY: No real contest, as Sony has made it very easy to plug in devices and FLASH memory cards into the PS3 and transfer data/files.

AV Outputs
-------------
XBOX 360 FACT: Microsoft has not disclosed details

PS3 FACT: 2 HDMI ports and 1 Analog Multi Out

COMMENTARY: Hard to do the comparision here, but it's unlikely Microsoft can improve on Sony's offerings here.

Advantage: Sony (pending more details on XBOX 360)

Controllers
-------------

XBOX 360 FACT: Up to 4 wireless controllers (proprietary 2.4GHz RF)

PS3 FACT: Up to 7 wireless controllers (Bluetooth 2.0)

COMMENTARY: I'll ignore the design of the new controllers, as that is a purely subjective like/dislike. I do like that PS3 uses Bluetooth controllers. The proprietary 2.4GHz RF stuff that XBOX 360 uses can sometimes interfere (i.e., cause lower throughput) with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth networks.

Software Compatibility
--------------------------

XBOX 360 FACT: limited backwards compatibility with selected titles

PS3 FACT: Full compatibility with PS1 and PS2 titles.

COMMENTARY: It's nice to see Microsoft try and do backwards compatibility with XBOX1, but it seems to be a half-hearted effort. PS3 will have full backwards compatibility.

That was very one sided. I'd give MS the win in Memory.

Just seems you are trying to convince yourself that Sony is better.

Speng.

Qroach said:
why don't you just say "sony is better" instead of typing all that?

And also how in the end it doesn't even really matter, since technical specifications mean absolutley nothing - it's all about the games.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to imply that the PS3 was the better console. XBOX 360 may be the better console due to better game support, XBOX live and earlier release date.

I was simply doing a feature comparision.

dcforest said:
AV Outputs
-------------
[snip]

Yeah, sounds logical.. :rolleyes:
ok let's do a PS1 VS revolution comparision.

PS1: 1 Analog Out.
Revolution: Nintendo has not disclosed details
Advantage: Sony (pending more details on Revolution)

With respect to features that are actually comparable:

MS has edge in:

1) Memory (due to unified nature)
2) Magnetic storage: (last I checked PS3 hasn't been said to come with a hard drive...but an option?)

Edge to Sony:
1) CPU, though not as large as 2X. I'd wager it'd take more work to flly utilize cell than the XBOX CPU.
2) Optical drive. Though depending on the speed of the drive (1X BR?), this may be more of a pro/con thing.
3) Networking / Connectivity. WiFi OOTB is nice.

Most of the other tech items are basically comparable / tie. I still don't know if Sony's controller will be wireless as a standard, or if it will be optional purchase. And the controller itself looks awkward, but can't be really judged until it's been used.

There's other stuff though:
On-live service: Big advantage MS.
Time to market: Advantage MS.
Global Brand: Advantage Sony

It may be better ot leve out the 'advantage' comments in such cases then. Just present the info and leave the reader to decide which they think is better.

Regards HDMI output, is that convertibale to other signals? My friends have bought HDTVs and reading abut the upcoming HDMI standard, apparently cables cost £50-100 :oops: Having to spend that much to connect the PS3 up to a TV...hrmmm.

Regards PS3's dual memory configuration, could this be analogous to the Amiga's Chip and Fast RAM? The CPU won't be bottlenecked on game code but sharing the bandwidth with the GPU? Or does XB360 get round this somehow?

Shifty Geezer said:
It may be better ot leve out the 'advantage' comments in such cases then. Just present the info and leave the reader to decide which they think is better.

Regards HDMI output, is that convertibale to other signals? My friends have bought HDTVs and reading abut the upcoming HDMI standard, apparently cables cost £50-100 :oops: Having to spend that much to connect the PS3 up to a TV...hrmmm.

Regards PS3's dual memory configuration, could this be analogous to the Amiga's Chip and Fast RAM? The CPU won't be bottlenecked on game code but sharing the bandwidth with the GPU? Or does XB360 get round this somehow?

HDMI is fully compatible with DVI, through a little adapter.
For everything else, there's a normal Video-Out port too, for component and all other analog cables i guess.

Shifty Geezer said:

It certainly can be converted to DVI by a simple (albeit sure just as expesnive) cable. The PS1/PS2 like Multi-AV-Out is also present, so you can hook up your PS2 to virtually everything( maybe even 2 HDMI/DVI and one RGB Output at once).

Im pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of interfaces and standards supported by PS3. Only if there were 4:3 HDTVs :cry:

Npl said:
Shifty Geezer said:

It certainly can be converted to DVI by a simple (albeit sure just as expesnive) cable. The PS1/PS2 like Multi-AV-Out is also present, so you can hook up your PS2 to virtually everything( maybe even 2 HDMI/DVI and one RGB Output at once).

Im pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of interfaces and standards supported by PS3. Only if there were 4:3 HDTVs :cry:

I'm quite impressed by the amount of differnt kind of holes on PS3 as well...
But... Why would you want 4:3 HDTVs?

london-boy said:
Npl said:
Shifty Geezer said:

I'm quite impressed by the amount of differnt kind of holes on PS3 as well...
But... Why would you want 4:3 HDTVs?

Yes why on earth would you like to have 4:3 tv!? they suck.

Joe DeFuria said:
With respect to features that are actually comparable:

MS has edge in:

1) Memory (due to unified nature)

I don't really know that this is an advantage. A lot of it will depend on how smart game developers are and how well the rsx and cell are at pulling information from each pool of memory on the PS3. If for instance, the rsx can be pulling textures from main memory while simultaniously reading/writing to the video memory it could end up having an aggregate throughput much higher than 25GB/s. Again, depending on how easy it is for the rsx to pull data from main memory, it's possible it will retain most of the advantages of having a unified memory model (like not having to send data from system memory to video memory before it can be fed into the rsx).

Based on all this, I actually think it's not unreasonable to say that Sony has a potential advantage in the memory department, though it depends on many factors (like how easy it is to optimize for, and how efficient the RSX/Cell are at reading/writing both pools of memory).

Nite_Hawk

NocturnDragon said:
dcforest said:
AV Outputs
-------------
[snip]

Yeah, sounds logical.. :rolleyes:
ok let's do a PS1 VS revolution comparision.

PS1: 1 Analog Out.
Revolution: Nintendo has not disclosed details
Advantage: Sony (pending more details on Revolution)

NocturnDragon,

I was in a rush and I should have been more explicit in my explanation. PS3 had 2 HDMI ports and can drive 2 high-def displays in a dual-monitor type scenario. This was mentioned by Sony at the press conference. Microsoft has made no mention of a similar feature on XBOX 360. While we don't know what connector type XBOX 360 will use (e.g., HDMI, DVI, VGA, analog video, etc.), it doesn't seem it has the dual-display feature (unless Microsoft is hiding/holding back something).

Dr Evil said:
Yes why on earth would you like to have 4:3 tv!? they suck.

Because 16:9 offers nothing good and are generally more expensive?

[offtopic rant]*) I can get a comparable 4:3 Monitor for the same Price, which is just as "wide" and has additional space.
*) I can watch Movies 16:9 with black borders, subtitles actually BELOW the Picture. Or I can wathch them scaled
*) TV is 4:3, Current Console-Games are 4:3
*) Just because your View is supposed to like 16:9, that doesnt mean additional space aint needed - eg: horizontal splitscreen, having secondary things like Scoreboard, Radar, Chat, whatever in addition to your untouched "16:9 Game-View"[\offtopic rant]

Edit: Thanks for the hint lb :devilish:

I've heard the 4:3 vs 16:9 argument many times over the last few years.

And every time I think the 4:3 advocates are a little strange. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Question: When are the two consoles scheduled (pronounced "sed-jeweled") to be publically available?

No you say it ske-jeweled. :devilish:

X360 should be out before xmas.

PS3 "spring 06" in Japan. prob before xmas 06 in the US and right before xmas 09 in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back