PS3 Router Functions Dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guden Oden said:
Anyway, it's a little sad to see all the "ha ha, told you so suckas!" poo-pooing from a certain bunch of people in this thread. Having greater and expanded capabilities is an important part of technological progress, and in essence cheering when features get cut off a flagship product (if in fact anything got cut to begin with, and the whole thing wasn't just a misunderstanding) is rather illogical reasoning in my eyes.

The poo-pooing is as annoying as the radical defense of "Nothing to see here, nothing changed" when in fact KK himself said something changed (even if the what may be in question). Same old song at B3D :LOL:

I was on record as saying I thought it was a mistake MS did not put a 1Gbit ethernet port on the 360. 100bT may, or may not, be enough to transfer HD media. While it wont affect many people it would have been nice to have this feature.

One step more, for those LAN parties, having 2 ports would have made daisy chaining NICE! Yeah, hubs are cheap and a lot of Xbox owners already have one, but still--it would have encouraged more LANs!

As I see it, PS3 has 1 port for broadband, 1 for EyeToy, and 1 for another device OR for dumb hub. That is pretty cool. Definately convienent.

I already have a router, so I could care less about router features ;) But with Wireless, I guess it could have come in handy for some, but not a big loss in my book.

Honestly, if they cut out all the media ports and also left only 1 ethernet, made wifi cheap addon, and only kept USB and Firewire standard--and that meant shaving $30 off the box--I would not complain. Mainly because I don't plan to use that stuff. But for the less fortunate who do not have a nice PC these are very nice features, so I can see where it fits Sony's vision well.

The so called "poo poing" is rightly justified. It was a feature that simply wasn't needed, also the extra ports aren't needed either IMO. and I can see at least one of them go. it only makes sense to not include features that would raise cost. I can see them dropping to one or two usb ports instead of three (there's just no real need for it.), and one DVI port by dropping the whole 1080p feature altogether.

Why? because it's a logical thing to do. You simply don't include features that will seldom be used by developers or the consumer if they add to the cost of the over all system. My opinion is not based on the theory that "it's cool to see features dropped". I'm not as paper thin as the people that are rushing out to deny that anything was cut. now that's a foolish thing to do.

Let's put it this way, the drama going down at Sony right now will be documented in TV shows and books in the future...It's that bad.

Kutaragi's PS3 will be chopped down to be as cost effective as possible, so this is really only a hint of what is to come.

Embedded Sea said:
Let's put it this way, the drama going down at Sony right now will be documented in TV shows and books in the future...It's that bad.

Kutaragi's PS3 will be chopped down to be as cost effective as possible, so this is really only a hint of what is to come.

I hope it's documented! Not that I would characterize things as 'that bad' though.

The router function was dead meat anyways, good that they decided to shave it off.

The person who came up with the idea of a router built into a game console is sabotaging Sony.

Some of you guys need to reread the thread. There was no features cut. At least, nothing cut from the E3 spec. This is a spec that was cut down prior to E3. Much like the 4-Cell BBE was cut down to a single 1-7 Cell. Drama queens a go-go. :lol PEACE.

:rolleyes: It was announced at E3 that it could have built in router/switch capabilities. Sony didn't say a word outside cell talk before that time. Anyway, what does it matter WHEN it was cut? It's cut, end of story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back