PS3 Router Functions Dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050711_115247.html

The PlayStation 3 will no longer act as a home network router, according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi, who has revealed that the functionality has been dropped because it would have been too expensive.

Speaking with Japanese publication Nikkei Electronics, Kutaragi said that the original specification for the PS3 would have allowed the system's three Gigabit Ethernet ports to be used as a home router.

Original Source => Gamesindustry.biz

Sounds like a smart move. I thought PS3 only had a switch planned, not a router. A router in a PS3 seems excessive because, most likely, you will need a router for your broadband anyways. If PS3 also had an integrated DSL/Cable modem it would have been a different matter, but that would be so excessive for how the market is shaped.

Or, is this possibly some dumbed down way of saying it will not have a three port switch, but just the "standard" single ethernet port connector? I can't imagine why they would want a router in the PS3 as opposed to just a switch.

london-boy said:
Ok so remind me again why on earth PS3 will have 3 Gigabit ethernet ports?
The 3 ports may be next to go ? They will most likely knock it down to 1 . Don't see why you would need more than 1

this is great news IMO, more focus on games less focus on worthless option like built in switching capabuility

jvd said:
london-boy said:
The 3 ports may be next to go ? They will most likely knock it down to 1 . Don't see why you would need more than 1

Oh right that makes sense now.
Still don't see what Sony are playing at to be honest, first announcing the 3 ports which not many understood what they were for, then now no router functions and therefore no point in the 3 ports... Go figure, those guys have always been a bit nuts.

I keep thinking about the double HDMI though. Now THAT is something that could easily go and not many would care.

jvd said:
london-boy said:

A 3-port (well, two extras and one dedicated for PS3 IO) switch would be great for when you have other devices in the living/TV room that can benefit from network access. I think a switch would be really nice, so you don't end up having just one end-point or having to buy a switch to use multiple devices (think of your Xbox 360!)

I already have a switch which I will use to connect my ps3 and xbox360 to the rest of my home network and the internet. I really think they should remove all those useless crap thingies and just make the darn thing cheaper.

Was it ever announced, at E3, that the PS3 will also perform as a router?

BTW, the original source is from GI.biz?

london-boy said:

It won't according to the PS3 specs:-

Ethernet:

- 10BASE-T
- 100BASE-TX
- 1000BASE-T

Sounds like they were thinking of putting three Gigabit ports in there when mulling over the system design, but in the end just put the one in, which they announced at E3 2005.

Kutaragi wanted the system to be more like PSX DVD recorder or some sort of replacement for a PC. It's not going to be either now...

If you could imagine a samurai charging into the barrel of a very large canon that's the situation that Sony is in. The new regime over there realizes this and has toned down their risky efforts in realization of the long and drawn out battle they are in for. The true result of this is that PS3 will be rushed and toned down for a 2006 worldwide release instead of the original Fall 2006 Japan only release, and it will be a pretty darn even battlefield between the two systems.

It's not just a joke that Kutaragi was crazy...he was enforcing ideas and technology which were simply not in the best interest of the company, and their insistence on making things proprietary was leading them in the same path that brought Nintendo to the edge of a very steep cliff 10 years ago.

jvd said:
london-boy said:
The 3 ports may be next to go ? They will most likely knock it down to 1 .
It won't happen as it's most likely a mistranslation by GameFront.
"No longer a router" is misleading. It's just dumb hub from the getgo.

one said:

This was my first thought because I have never heard or thought PS3 would act as a router. I am pretty sure that if Sony ever planned it as a router they would:

1. Be completely insane.
2. Have told the world in no uncertain terms that it was a router, not a switch.

So, in this case, the case of the switch being removed, I think it is a sad decision. It would be "just" right to have two extra ports near a PS3 for other equipment, eliminating the need for an extra switch (which requires a power supply). It would be so clean. Still a good cost controller for the masses though. I don't think most people need a network in their living room, but it would have been so good for ME.

I think they are still finishing their design -- for E3 the goal was to say whatever it took to appear more powerful than the Xbox 360. But now they need to make a box that won't bankrupt them. They have to cut all the frills in order to afford that super-expensive blu-ray drive.

I expect most of the Bizzarro I/O ports to go by the time they launch.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you, that explains the gigabit Ethernet port: Sony thinks that a high-def version of the Eye Toy will be the next big thing. It plays to the PS3's strengths -- you can use the otherwise underutilized SPEs to do the signal processing, and the gamers will love how nice they look in high def. But in order for this to work, they need to be able to stream an uncompressed high def video stream from the camera to the PS3.

wireframe said:
one said:

This was my first thought because I have never heard or thought PS3 would act as a router. I am pretty sure that if Sony ever planned it as a router they would:

1. Be completely insane.
2. Have told the world in no uncertain terms that it was a router, not a switch.

So, in this case, the case of the switch being removed, I think it is a sad decision. It would be "just" right to have two extra ports near a PS3 for other equipment, eliminating the need for an extra switch (which requires a power supply). It would be so clean.
When you get PS3 Linux, you can run a router software on it and voila you get a nice router with a useless blu-ray drive inside ;)

shaderguy said:
Here's a conspiracy theory for you, that explains the gigabit Ethernet port: Sony thinks that a high-def version of the Eye Toy will be the next big thing. It plays to the PS3's strengths -- you can use the otherwise underutilized SPEs to do the signal processing, and the gamers will love how nice they look in high def. But in order for this to work, they need to be able to stream an uncompressed high def video stream from the camera to the PS3.

Don't you think a WiFi EyeToy conspiracy theory is much better?

wireframe said:
shaderguy said:

Don't you think a WiFi EyeToy conspiracy theory is much better?

How do you wirelessly power a camera?

PC-Engine said:
How do you wirelessly power a camera?

The obvious answer would be: batteries

but I don't think that is the answer you were looking for. having a wall-socket is more common and comfortable than pulling ethernet from your console to the "toy". I thought wireless controllers in all next-gen consoles made that clear.

However, my comment was made mostly in jest because I don't think a gigabit ethernet connection is at the top of the list for eye-toy. I think more people would go for a WiFi solution and you can always implement a compression chip in the "receiver" (Eye Toy) and add that to the price.

Let's try to forget it. This was not meant to spark debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back