• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Given the fact that nVidia's parts are somewhat reasonably-priced for their performance and other aspects, the fact that the cards are still available seems to be extraordinarily strong evidence against the whole "hot lot" idea.

Granted, I'm sure the parts aren't worth it for everybody, and many will consider them a poor buy, but they are certainly not so outlandishly overpriced that people would fail to purchase them entirely.

Well I don't know about worldwide, but looking at Newegg, there's a grand total of 73 customer reviews for all GTX 470 SKUs. Obviously, not everyone writes a review after a purchase, but still, that doesn't scream "popular product" or "significant volume" to me.

Not really a good indication of volume of sales. From the time the listing appeared on Newegg to the time someone actually bought one there was probably 20 "reviews" already.

Don't know how it compares to ATI products in the UK, but in the US it's within reason compared to the competition. Perhaps not ideal, but not outlandish either.

Not reasonable here. Having a quick look, the cheapest 480s are still around £450, cheapest 5870 is around £310. You can even get a 5970 for £495, and can get 5870s cheaper than the 470.

Not reasonable here. Having a quick look, the cheapest 480s are still around £450, cheapest 5870 is around £310. You can even get a 5970 for £495, and can get 5870s cheaper than the 470.
Hmm, that's rather disappointing. On Newegg, by contrast (picking cheapest prices only):

GTX 470: $350
HD 5870: $400
GTX 480: $500
HD 5970: $700

Hmm, that's rather disappointing. On Newegg, by contrast (picking cheapest prices only):

GTX 470: $350
HD 5870: $400
GTX 480: $500
HD 5970: $700

That's much more in line with performance. Over here, the 5850/5870 are still more expensive than their launch prices, and still they are significantly cheaper than the 470/480 prices.

In The Netherlands (cheapest cards only):

HD 5850: €239
GTX 470: €327
HD 5870: €339
GTX 480: €461
2 x HD 5850: €478
HD 5970: €514

GTX prices seem just a little bit too high.

Makes me curious as to what difference in European distribution between AMD and nVidia is making for this huge difference in prices.

perhaps that supplies are so low that prices rise to match? price reflecting limited supply and greater demand, what?

and that those units which were available were primarily allocated the the market more important for pr, namely the US, esp. newegg (though it is out of 480's currently).

because companies are under the impression the europeans are rich,
even stuff like digital distribution the english version which is identical to the u.s version is priced way higher

an example

because companies are under the impression the europeans are rich,
even stuff like digital distribution the english version which is identical to the u.s version is priced way higher

That alone doesn't explain the relative pricing. Even if cards are more expensive here in Euroland, 480s here are massively more expensive than 5870s. The difference between the 480 and the 5870 is much less in the US. Here there's only a few pounds difference between a 470 and a 5870, so it makes little sense to pay for a 470, when you can get a 5870 instead. And then the gap between the 5870 to the 480 is much larger than in the US.

The pricing of the Fermi cards relative to the Evergreen cards is totally screwed up compared to pricing in the US or the relative benchmarks, before you even take into account power/noise/heat.

It's like Nvidia doesn't want to sell any cards outside the US, or they've got so few, they can ask disproportionate prices and get them from the few die-hard Nvidia shoppers.

Its not like VAT is only applied on the Fermi cards and not on the Radeons. The relative pricing in Europe for some reason is very skewed compared to the US pricing :???:

I'd agree with Chalnoth though, the fact that the cards are available points to a reasonable quantity of cards being produced, i doubt its as bad as charlie or other "sources" makes it out to be.

In Norway there seems to be only one webshop which has 3 GTX 470 costing ~544 USD.
Cheapets GTX 470 is supposed to be ~470 USD when in stock

There are no GTX 480, cheapest one costing ~668 USD whenever that gets in stock.

Cheapest HD 5870 is ~490 USD.

Some exquisite price tags, the global recession is over? Is unemployment at an all time low? Wages went up?

I guess its a supply & demand constraints situation, but even so, am i nuts to think NVidia is out of their minds for thinking their latest products are really worth that much? For me even the main volume enthusiast parts (5850) from ATI/AMD are crossing the line in terms of price. Wich likely is being pushed for NVidia's poor execution and over-evaluating their latest product real market value, that in the end imo is helping ATI/AMD.

So much for competition... i really wished the computer graphics industry had a 3rd major player.

I'd agree with Chalnoth though, the fact that the cards are available points to a reasonable quantity of cards being produced, i doubt its as bad as charlie or other "sources" makes it out to be.

Maybe it has reasonable availability for the demand it has, and not a good availability overall? You can forget getting a GTX480 for less than €500 in Europe and I know the allocation numbers some countries are getting and that's less than what Newegg seems to offer.

Back