• 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2 neliz
Are you saying that Charlie's numb4ers are correct? :oops:
Last number I heard was 5000 cards for Europe... and it was supposed to be "official", real number. Direct claim from NV-Europe. (of course I don't mean they said this to me directly)

They are 100%

I was at an AIB/HW site event last Saturday and one of the product managers there said they'd get 50 cards for his region for this month, with probably more in May. this seems to be completely in line with other quantities I've heard for other regions and brands etc. and line-up pretty well with the couple of hundred of cards that French site was talking about last week.

Mind you, the same people there were harping about "thousands of cards" a couple of weeks ago.

The 5000 number came from tweakers.net and that said "up to" and it was a worldwide figure.

They are 100%

I was at an AIB/HW site event last Saturday and one of the product managers there said they'd get 50 cards for his region for this month, with probably more in May. this seems to be completely in line with other quantities I've heard for other regions and brands etc. and line-up pretty well with the couple of hundred of cards that French site was talking about last week.

Mind you, the same people there were harping about "thousands of cards" a couple of weeks ago.

The 5000 number came from tweakers.net and that said "up to" and it was a worldwide figure.

So basically, this has been a paper launch of the parked wafers with the crap yields to try and get some money back. No doubt there will be a B1 revision (if Nvidia can make it work), but they will not want to say that to people in order that they won't wait for the fixed product. Nvidia will probably give it a different product name or revision number.

Not that there seem to be any product to buy anyway.

Ouch. Nvidia partners better hope these cards don't fail. With such pitiful quantities, they won't have anything to replace them with.

Neliz,

Things much be downright rough for nvidia partners. How many of them are able to make expenses with such low turnaround? and for how long, at this rate?

Woot, 3-way SLI (it's in Dutch).

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGCa/Clash_of_the_Titans_3way_SLI_GTX_480_test/

benchmark

There's the odd 470 available in the UK but no 480's as far as I have seen, reminds me a lot like Ati HD58XX when that came out.

There's been a fair amount of both available in the Netherlands, at least. In fact I just picked up a GTX 480 myself (thank you major energy savings return, now I'll go right back and burn it again during the next year), Just Cause 2 finally unfolding all of its beauty - and I'm sure the missus will be happy with the Cypress.

http://vr-zone.com/forums/634613/an...00-yields-20-30--lt-10-000-cards-shipped.html

Analysts claim less then 10.000 cards worldwide on 20-30% yield.
It appears Charlie with neliz were righ about initial stock, but I'm quite surprised Nvidia dumped all stock at once (it was more or less available, quite a lot of people bought them). Does this mean NV expects new batch soon? It wouldnt make sense to be out of stock worldwide for many months otherwise. I thought Nvidia would throw few hundred cards now and then, to keep up availability image.

It appears Charlie with neliz were righ about initial stock, but I'm quite surprised Nvidia dumped all stock at once (it was more or less available, quite a lot of people bought them). Does this mean NV expects new batch soon? It wouldnt make sense to be out of stock worldwide for many months otherwise. I thought Nvidia would throw few hundred cards now and then, to keep up availability image.

Doubt that would matter. If they really had that few and they trickled them out then backorders would take all the cards immediately and they would show out of stock anyway.

Also, if that parked wafer thing is (at least semi)accurate, then getting back as much as possible as soon as possible on an already sunk cost might be preferable. Then if they're going to make more just to "keep up appearances" (i.e. if they can't be made at a profit), it would make sense to limit supply to keep ASP up while also limiting continuous losses.

Surprised that even with such low launch numbers, the 470 continues to be available at Newegg, and without retailer price gouging. The 58xx were sold out constantly at launch.

Maybe nobody want them... ? I mean, if you have waited for Fermi, you can wait for the cooler refresh (if there is one...) ?

Surprised that even with such low launch numbers, the 470 continues to be available at Newegg, and without retailer price gouging. The 58xx were sold out constantly at launch.
Lack of demand IMO, they are barely better than 6+ months old cards, use way more power and are noisy, plus they arent even the fastest cards. Outside of die-hard Nvidia fans there is no reason to get one, 58xx series still a better choice for the majority of customers.

Those who didnt need to upgrade to 58xx, have no reasons to upgrade to Fermi either (outside niche markets), and probably are waiting for 6xxx and/or Fermi refresh in ~Q3.

Maybe the reports were wrong?

We can only hope ;) But I doubt it, too many insiders are quoting sub-10k numbers.

So when it's out of stock it means Nvidia can't make them and when it's in stock it means nobody wants them? How convenient :LOL:

So when it's out of stock it means Nvidia can't make them and when it's in stock it means nobody wants them? How convenient :LOL:

It's the flipside of Nvidia claiming that you won't be able to get one because they are in such huge demand, not because they've only manufactured less than 10,000 of them worldwide.

Yet Newegg can't sell out of their allocation, where in the rest of the world you can't get them at all? Maybe Newegg has has special treatment, knowing people use them as such a barometer of availability, and they are the biggest e-tailer in the states?

Back