• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's the flipside of Nvidia claiming that you won't be able to get one because they are in such huge demand, not because they've only manufactured less than 10,000 of them worldwide.

Perhaps but Nvidia has the benefit of actually knowing how many were manufactured / shipped. Everyone else is relying on their "sources" :)

Yet Newegg can't sell out of their allocation, where in the rest of the world you can't get them at all? Maybe Newegg has has special treatment, knowing people use them as such a barometer of availability, and they are the biggest e-tailer in the states?

No idea. That completely depends on what percentage of the worldwide retail GPU market that Newegg commands. If their allocation is in line with their market share I don't see a problem.

Perhaps but Nvidia has the benefit of actually knowing how many were manufactured / shipped. Everyone else is relying on their "sources" :)

No idea. That completely depends on what percentage of the worldwide retail GPU market that Newegg commands. If their allocation is in line with their market share I don't see a problem.
Quick search found some GTX480's available on mwave.com:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BD11366

(At the time I made this post, it stated "availability: usually ships within 24 hours")

You mean the info from people in the distributers and AIBs which are probably more truthful than anything Nvidia are telling us. They are after all the people buying and selling these units in the supply chain. Did Nvidia ever say how many units are shipping, or have they just put back the shipping dates for the hundredth time?

So when it's out of stock it means Nvidia can't make them and when it's in stock it means nobody wants them? How convenient :LOL:

Well, as long as the GTX 480 remains the fastest single-GPU card, there will always be people wanting to buy one, no matter how much power it draws or how expensive it is.

But the GTX 470? The cheapest one on Newegg costs $357,55 with shipping, while you can get a HD 5870 for $399.99 with shipping (just $42,44 more), or a 5850 for $316,56 (it fluctuates, but you can often find 5850s for $299 with free shipping, sometimes even $289).

There's nothing very compelling about the GTX 470 from a performance/price point of view, and if you factor in power and noise, it's just not a good deal.

You mean the info from people in the distributers and AIBs which are probably more truthful than anything Nvidia are telling us.

How many cards did eVGA or Gigabyte get?

There's nothing very compelling about the GTX 470 from a performance/price point of view, and if you factor in power and noise, it's just not a good deal.

That's debatable depending on your own needs. Rumours point to a few hundred / thousand cards available worldwide at launch. Are you suggesting that total demand for 470's was met with such a pitiful number? It's a shiny new $350 DX11 card from ever popular Nvidia, they can certainly do better than that.

Whatever their share of the <10,000 hot lots were. Has Nvidia announced how many they shipped to them? Do you have some kind of official word from Nvidia?

Nope, I was asking about the AIB info you were referring to. Which AIB's were those and what info did they provide?

I saw a lot of stuff about people guessing at numbers based on "insiders" and "sources" but I haven't seen any information posted. In your opinion how long would it take to clear the market of 10,000 Fermi cards?

I saw a lot of stuff about people guessing at numbers based on "insiders" and "sources" but I haven't seen any information posted. In your opinion how long would it take to clear the market of 10,000 Fermi cards?

Given the hype from Nvidia, and the relatively low prices to compete with 5870/5970, I shouldn't think Nvidia would have much trouble finding 10,000 people with Nvidia brand loyalty across the whole planet.

If AMD has sold 6 million DX11 cards in the last 6 months, Nvidia selling 10,000 in the first month doesn't seem like a stretch.

We snagged 3x 470 at work the other day, and would have bought several more had any shop had them confirmed, to get to know and experiment with the architecture. So even if end consumers were put off by heat/noise/power, I'd expect companies to pick up the 10k cards quite quickly.

The answer is surely that Nvidia could release its sales numbers if it saw fit, and dispell all these "rumours" at one go.

That it does not do so indicates releasing the numbers in question does not suit it. It is not usually the case that good news is kept hidden.

That's debatable depending on your own needs. Rumours point to a few hundred / thousand cards available worldwide at launch. Are you suggesting that total demand for 470's was met with such a pitiful number? It's a shiny new $350 DX11 card from ever popular Nvidia, they can certainly do better than that.

Well I don't know about worldwide, but looking at Newegg, there's a grand total of 73 customer reviews for all GTX 470 SKUs. Obviously, not everyone writes a review after a purchase, but still, that doesn't scream "popular product" or "significant volume" to me.

Well I don't know about worldwide, but looking at Newegg, there's a grand total of 73 customer reviews for all GTX 470 SKUs. Obviously, not everyone writes a review after a purchase, but still, that doesn't scream "popular product" or "significant volume" to me.
Doesn't sound that small a number of reviews to me.

That it does not do so indicates releasing the numbers in question does not suit it. It is not usually the case that good news is kept hidden.
So when can we expect AMD to release the number of Cypresses sold? Since they didn't for now does it mean that releasing the number in question does not suit it?

So when can we expect AMD to release the number of Cypresses sold? Since they didn't for now does it mean that releasing the number in question does not suit it?

In December they said they had sold 800,000 DX11 GPUs, about 500,000 of which were Cypresses.

AMD said they shipped six million 5xxx series cards to date in their April financial conference call, despite the poor performance from TSMC in the first few months. If you dig around on the details of that, there might be a breakdown to the cypresses specifically.

I do not know how many GTX 470 cards there are, but I saw some in Best Buy in Columbus, OH today. I have never seen any 5850 or 5870 cards there.

Back