• Meh for both

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • 480's ok, 470 suxx

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • WTF for both

Votes: 58 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For CUDA.. Yay! Yay! So that's how I voted.

For games, "OK". Though perhaps there's big potential for future boosts as both games and drivers adapt.

What has me worried is the whopping 95c at load. That can only spell lots of heat related trouble. Now imagine that card in a room without AC during the summer. The noise is a huge turn off as well. Did you guys hear the video at Hardocp? I mean them fans are freaken loud. Performance is a let down as well for something that was suppose to trounce all over the 5870. Not a flop, but then again not a success either. Its just meh or maybe even one notch less than meh.

NVIDIA's R580,power consumption is even worse...
R580 fixed R520 problems. I'd say this is Nvidia's R520. Slight performance lead, late, spin, spin, spin, hot and power consuming.

They adopted a new architecture, they might "come back" with a more mature refresh and give us a kick-ass GPU we were hoping for.

This stuff would have been great 6 months ago. Now its pretty average in that it doesn't really change the game and for most people the prices/performance will be no different in a few weeks to how they were two weeks ago with the exception that they can now pick their favourite colour. Red goes faster! :)

R580 fixed R520 problems. I'd say this is Nvidia's R520. Slight performance lead, late, spin, spin, spin, hot and power consuming.

They adopted a new architecture, they might "come back" with a more mature refresh and give us a kick-ass GPU we were hoping for.

I dunno. R580 lead to R600. :smile:

Meh for me.

Performance seems to be 10-15% for the gtx 480 over the 5870 and the gtx 470 is around 10% faster than the 5850. But they use much much more power and are hot as hell and more expensive.

Meh for me.

Performance seems to be 10-15% for the gtx 480 over the 5870 and the gtx 470 is around 10% faster than the 5850. But they use much much more power and are hot as hell and more expensive.

Any hope for your long awaited price cut?

Any hope for your long awaited price cut?

No , but tonight at the bar I found out that if I sing people will throw money at me to stop. So I figure I can do that to make extra money :LOL:

But looking at releases i should be okay wth the 4850 1 gig till the fall. Mabye ati will have new parts out and nvidia will have fixed its power issues.

But looking at releases i should be okay wth the 4850 1 gig till the fall. Mabye ati will have new parts out and nvidia will have fixed its power issues.

Why wait until fall? Your Evergreen parts will get cheaper soon enough, but that won't have anything to do with the competition.

"Meh" was my vote, and I found that [H] was the only one that had the guts to show the difference in idle, 2d and 3d power usage, 50Watts to run GPU-Z?

Disappointing in power consumption and heat , but good in tessellation and horrible in performance variation !

Mixed reactions would be my choice !

Why wait until fall? Your Evergreen parts will get cheaper soon enough, but that won't have anything to do with the competition.

"Meh" was my vote, and I found that [H] was the only one that had the guts to show the difference in idle, 2d and 3d power usage, 50Watts to run GPU-Z?

I dunno yet. The big game thi year for me is civ 5. But the game i will be playing the most of is SW TOR that wont come out till 2011 spring time. So I don't know if a 5850 will be enough to play it with eyeinfinty settings 3x 1680x1050.

I guess we can chalk this up as a victory for the Kyle method. Real world conditions and real world power useage. I had absolutely no idea there was a difference between idle/2nd modes, I had figured they were the same.

Back