Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

You go hot chick! Tap In is the MAN! ;) (I am just giving you some incentive to brutally eviscerate me in Gears... which I think is the X button?)

Ps- I guess if I had wanted to beg for a code for Castaway the above was a nail in the coffin lol! I won't tell Castaway I pretty much insulted away any chance of him playing :p

I am not a very good friend!

haha! :D

enjoy guys!

Capture the leader is pretty fun. It relies a lot more on coordination than raw skill. I find the teams can get very unbalanced in KOTH or TDM, so at least there's a chance of winning even if you're not the best, so you can still play the support role. That said, I'm not really into competitive MP. I'm just waiting for the 4 player campaign co-op at this point.

Weapons-wise, I think it's pretty balanced as is. Every weapon is pretty unique and has their advantages/disadvantages. The rest is player skill and internet connection.

So those of you on my Friends list playing the Gears beta, what's the prognosis?

Personally, quite awesome. I know I've spent more time on Gears 3 beta than Gears 1 and 2 MP combined.

The key to a community will be Epic's ability to learn from Gears 2 and deliver fast matchmaking with low lag gameplay. Those are my only worries.

So I played about 4 rounds of TDM yesterday and, as I fully expected, I am shockingly bad. And I mean truly, astonisingly, atrociously bad.

Yet I still had fun. The maps are easy to navigate (and look good too) and seem intuitive to someone who hadn't played them before, though clearly once you know them there will be certain tactical advantages you can eek out. The weapon balance also seemed fair given my limited playtime. My main issue was due to me feeling 'bad for my team' given that I was little more than cannon-fodder. I really need to put in some hours to even get to the level of 'not too bad', but (spouse allowing) I can see it being something I'll do over the next few days.

Thanks again to Tap In for the code.

I played a bit more tonight, I think Epic has a winner. Seems like after stumbles in Gears 1, and in Gears 2 which imo was actually a step back in both SP and MP, they may have finally worked out the kinks. Gameplay is buttery smooth, graphics are solid, matchmaking is fast. Looks like they copied the Modern Warfare approach of rewarding you with experience towards all manner of unlocks and achievements for every little thing RPG style too, and from what I could tell that works well too. I mean you literally earn points just for participating in the matches. And I'm probably as bad/newb as Rotmm but already unlocked the flame lancer and I believe flame gnasher. This is the type of game that's going to give you a medal for participating.

Overall I'm impressed.

Granted I was playing at 8 AM this morning, but I didnt notice a ton of people playing. Across all playlists I added it up to 9600 people if I'm doing it right. Seems low if everybody who preordered Gears gets in, all the codes they gave away (at least 1 per previous player) etc...

was the "hold right bumper button to show all special weapons and location of your temamates" in all the GoW or is this new?

Yeah but since Gears is focused on cqc and small maps, spotting is really not as important as in a game like battlefield.

was the "hold right bumper button to show all special weapons and location of your temamates" in all the GoW or is this new?
They had that since Gears 1, the only thing new is that now it also shows location of the weapons.

p1000714.jpg

:p

hm... Good to know:

After four weeks of executions performed, medals awarded, skins unlocked, and enemies decimated, our time together in the Gears 3 Beta is coming to an end. The servers go dark at 2:00 AM PDT on Monday, May 16, after which you will be unable to connect to multiplayer matches. If you want to hang on to any of your retail unlocks earned during the Beta, please do not delete your Gears 3 Beta saved games—you can delete the Beta executable itself, but hang on to those saves! (Step-by-step details below.) Thanks again for playing, and we’ll see you again on September 20!
To delete the Gears 3 Beta but leave your saves intact:

• Go to the System Settings menu on your Xbox 360
  • Select "Memory"
  • Select "Games"
  • Select the Gears of War 3 Beta (507MB) and delete it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/16/gears-3s-limited-and-epic-editions-detailed/

Looks like the site is getting Hammered...

...of Dawn. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... ಠ_ಠ

Let's see...

Limited edition (£60)

• An Octus Award Box with Octus Service Medal – A 1:1 match in size and weight, this zinc-alloy cog-shaped medal replicates the award given to Adam Fenix in recognition of his work on the Hammer of Dawn.
  • Exclusive Unlockable Adam Fenix Multiplayer Character – Each Octus Service Medal replica is engraved with a unique Xbox LIVE code that is the only way to unlock Adam Fenix in multiplayer.
  • A fabric COG Flag (!).
  • The personal effects of Adam Fenix, including his “Last Will and Testament,” the initial Hammer of Dawn schematic, and other Fenix family mementos.
Epic Edition (£99.99)

• Marcus Fenix statue – It’s 11.2 inches high and weighs 1.7 kilos. How can you not want that hidden away from all females in the house proudly displayed on your mantlepiece?
  • The Art and Design of Gears of War by Tom Bissell – A book by Tom Bissell including 96 pages of interviews, photos, concept artwork and more.
  • Infected Omen Weapon Pack – Custom multiplayer skins for the game’s five starting weapons; Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Sawed-off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.
  • All the contents of the “Gears of War 3” Limited Edition.
I presume North America will have it at your usual stores, probably $90 and $150.

Dammit, of course they have to pack in the Art and Design book into the stupid edition. Who SERIOUSLY 3.0 gives a shit about statues...and Weapon Skins????

Gears 2's Lancer replica was awesome, and they even bothered with bonus behind-the-scenes material on disc. Game-playthrough commentary would have been nice, of course... Meh.

(well, maybe if it was an Anya statue to go along with my secret shri-.... >_> )

I'll go with the standard edition but really after my time with the Beta, I can't wait for the retail. The game is amazingly fun to play through.

Back