Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Game looks very nice. I like the change of color palette. The lighting seems to have a global illumination/claymation effect too giving it a less cartoonish and more solid 3D look. Smoke effects also look very volumetric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do keep in mind these are offscreen vids. Lighting looks extra good that way.

Lighting sure has improved, though, we can see that in the direct feed vid earlier too. But in some areas, the characters look almost toon rendered due to very stron sunlight. All in all, the game looks very very different from the previous gears due to the new lighting solution.

They will never go back to the dark Gothic tone of Gears 1 especially when talking about the MP, they said that the more lit maps were always the more played map in MP..though I don't see why they can't have atleast ONE map that has the old Gothic feel.

I still remember Bullet Marsh and Escalation from Gears 1 and remember being terribly disappointed when I saw that none of the Gears 2 maps were even half as dark and atmospheric as those two maps. When they announced the Dark Corners map pack I got excited and thought they were finally going to make a map which was reminiscent of Gears 1 but I was wrong again since none of the maps in Dark Corners were actually Dark.

Haha I guess you can't please everyone but that's very interesting regarding the most played maps. Anyway I'm sooo glad they changed the animation and movement to a faster model. Gears 2 was too friggen slow.

dang... this along with BF3 are going to steal my multiplayer heart. :love:

love how much more quickly everything moves and the new graphics are top tier

oh... and dedicated servers!

Some direct-feed screen captures with some compression. Looks good but lighting feels a bit flat though, the off screen vids are so deceiving.
ip5ni1.jpg

2jtx7d.jpg

24uwxo6.jpg

Direct feed shots of maps with Lightmass rendered lightmaps were convincing enough in terms of contrast that I'm not yet worried. Sure it won't be a BF3 ;) but I'm also sure it'll be pretty enough.

I think if you adjust the contrast on your TV it would look just as good as the offscreen stuff. Also the game may have a contrast menu option like the first Gears game.

I'm just glad they finally got some dynamic lighting in the engine, but yeah as a whole package it looks pretty enough.
I think if you adjust the contrast on your TV it would look just as good as the offscreen stuff. Also the game may have a contrast menu option like the first Gears game.
Games always look better on my TV than on my monitor but the offscreen videos are more like having bloom turned to maximum with uber vibrant colors.

Those pics look terrible, I think they are biased pics so to speak. Yeah that sounds stupid but you know what I mean.

It is interesting that even todays best looking games tend to look bad in direct feed stills (even when they look great playing in person or on video). I wonder which generation that will change....but anyways that's OT

Those pics look terrible, I think they are biased pics so to speak. Yeah that sounds stupid but you know what I mean.
Just for the record I picked the brighter and more grandeur scenes, I could easily pick those that are much worse in comparison if you need proofing.

It is interesting that even todays best looking games tend to look bad in direct feed stills (even when they look great playing in person or on video). I wonder which generation that will change....but anyways that's OT
Not necessarily true, I've seen a lot of stunning still shots from a few of those games, and of course they look even better in motion. It's just people shouldn't trust offscreen videos at all, they can make anything crappy look awesome given the right condition.

Those pics are not direct feed, they seem to have been taken from the video that was released during the press event before GDC. The uncompressed version of the video looks fantastic, the lighting was lovely and imho it certainly wasn't flat.

Back