Fuse (New game by Insomniac)

This game's been getting a whole lot of stick from people on various sites and forums, and I don't get it.

Well, ok I get that people may be fatigued out on shooters. But i don't see how you can be excited for the next Halo, and yet cry indignation when a developer like Insomniac announced an FPS (I loved Resistance myself).

Anyways, I think this shows some promise. I do hope they nail the co-op mode, and can give the game a bit more of its own identity. It seems like they've gone the very futuristic sci-fi route with the weapons and tech in the game, so I hope they further that and start showing more about the game narrative that i hope will be as deep and engaging as Resistance 3 was.

Plus, If they make this Move enabled I'll be all over it day one ;-)

It seems to me that this is getting multiplatform. EA is publisher. I wonder which engine they use, if it is multiplat?

Here is what james stevenson (Insomniac) says about the game:

full progression for each character with a skill tree. Ability to leap between characters if you have less than four players. a full Insomniac story with exotic locations, character development, personality and humor

Reference:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=42108963

Last edited by a moderator:
This game's been getting a whole lot of stick from people on various sites and forums, and I don't get it.

It's because the first trailer featured caricatured characters in clean and comparatively colorful environments. It all looked very charming, with an identity to call its own, and definitely more in line with No One Lives Forever than Gears of War.
Besides a knack for crafting weapons, charm and inventiveness is what Insomniac always excelled at. Sure, Resistance is a fun game too, but no-one gave a damn about its gritty me-too visuals and bland characters. When people think of Insomniac, they think of Ratchet, not Nathan Hale.
Overstrike used to look like a really nice middle ground between Resistance and Ratchet. Something that didn't take itself all that serious. Now it looks like everything else, all the way from its color palette to its characters designs and their cover animations which we've seen a thousand times now.

I think Insomniac got EA'd here.

Just stole this comment from the Eurogamer.net comment section because I think it sums the whole thing up really well.

"Overstrike looked like a fun game that was big on personality and wit, and guns, you know, an Insomniac game.
Fuse looks like a game being published by EA."

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have seen of the from the general reception of these news is not necessarily a problem with it being another shooter, but the fact that Isomniact droped the artstyle previously shown in the E3 teaser trailer of whatever year it was.
It went from a far more original and promising look to something quite generic and forgettable.
I am not taking sides here, but I understand people's position. Halo 4 sure is more of the same as well, but people think "MS will be MS and they are gonna milk the powerfull brands they have. We can't do anything about it they are always gonna do that" but when it comes to Isomniac, people had higher expectations in regards to originality, and they felt kind of let down, or as if Isomniac missed an oportunity to do something different.

Yeah, the art style did not much for me, graphics didn't really amaze me either. But I just hope that I get a improved R2 coop game here. Typically I like Insomniacs games very much, so all fingers crossed.

BTW guys, there is X360 gameplay from GTTV over at gametrailers. Unfortunately, I am to dumb to get my iPhone post this link here :(

I like the irony that they probably changed the game's look to make it more apealing market wise, and the general response of the public is that the previous style was better.

Insomniac was recently talking about why Resistance didn't become more successful. One of the possible reasons they said was because they kept changing so much between games. Now they have effectively managed to do just that before the game is even released.

I didn't care for the old art style, nor do I care for the new one. But making it look like so many other games probably won't help it. When Borderlands changed art direction it got a very distinctive look out of it, making it stand out from all the other shooters. Insomniac seems to have done the exact opposite.

I like the irony that they probably changed the game's look to make it more apealing market wise, and the general response of the public is that the previous style was better.
Not just look, but style. Overstrike had character and an instant appeal, whereas this is style-fatigue. It may play the same, but the Overstrike presentation gave a very different vibe. I was really hyped for The Agency that was dropped. Overstrike sounded like a similar coop experience. Now we have what looks like another class-based shooter, differentiated from the many other shooters only by weapons (multiple takes on the kill-lots-people-at-the-same-time weapon). Will teamwork really be necessary, or will we have just another shooter where individuals just happen to be fighting the same enemy? Watching the Overstrike trailer again, it wasn't actually any clearer on that than this, but that's what I hoped from it. Fuse hasn't got that sense about it.

Comparing YouTube vids, the Overstrike trailer had 1413 likes and 37 dislikes from 67k views. The Fuse trailer has 350 likes and 566 dislikes at the moment from 19k views. Gamers are being much more verbose about their preference with this. I wonder if it's pertinent for Insomniac/EA to listen, or to ignore them?

You have to wonder what the mood is like over at Insomniac right now. When they unveiled Overstrike it wasn't all that well received. Now re-unveiling it as Fuse it seems people are even more disappointed. And they plan to release Fuse around the same time as some big name sequels. It's difficult to see this becoming a success. It can't be very motivating to work like this. Especially since this is their own IP.

I hope they can still turn this around.

Ugh...If this isn't one of the biggest backslashes that I've seen than I don't know what is. Seriously, I'm so sorry for Insomniac at this moment, they are probably devastated. But than again, if you green light this kind of new IP, maybe you just don't give a fuck. This just looks bad...really, really bad.:cry:

I wish this was Resisitance 4 with sweet imaginative Chimera monsters instead of these generic mechs as enemies.

And, yes, the footage has no charm or personality at all. I don't have the guts to go say to Insomniac over twotter that this is dead already. The characters are bland, environs are bland, ennemies are bland ! I can't just say all your hardwork is worth nothing.

They should have kept the older style, even if it made the game cartoony. I guess, it was all done to appeal to the shooter/COD crowd, but it feels wrong.

You have to wonder what the mood is like over at Insomniac right now. When they unveiled Overstrike it wasn't all that well received. Now re-unveiling it as Fuse it seems people are even more disappointed. And they plan to release Fuse around the same time as some big name sequels. It's difficult to see this becoming a success. It can't be very motivating to work like this. Especially since this is their own IP.
Yeah, it must be hard. They haven't done so well this gen, and it feels they keep finding themselves on the end fo some harsh complaining. However, some of that is because they changed their way of doing thing...

Ted Price how to make a great games
Article said:
On this note, he mentioned how he wanted to keep the weapon wheel from Resistance into its sequel, but someone else on the team was adamant that it use a two-weapon system ala Gears of War or Halo. Price began to doubt his own convictions and decided a two-weapon system would "make it fresher." He later regretted this decision and brought the weapon wheel back in Resistance 3.
That is, R2 changed from R1 to 'another sci-fi shooter clone like the popular ones'. Without consistency and their niche, they alienated pretty much everyone one way or another over their three games. ;)

I don't recall the response to Overstrike being particularly subdued either. It may not have had a massive interest, but there was enthusiasm being shown it. I don't recall many complaints.

I hope they can still turn this around.
Assuming the gameplay has been preserved, they can, but it'd need to be postponed. There is a worry there though - what if they make the changes but then the game just isn't that great? There'll be serious repercussions for Insomniac as a developer. It depends somewhat on who called for the change....

(does some Googling)

Okay, it's not going to change as this transition is Insomniac's choosing (and EA must be annoyed at the blame they are getting!). From this article about Fuse:
Article said:
Price says that sci-fi substance is also at the root of the developer's decision to move away from the Overstrike identity. "As we started playing around with this element more, it became evident that this was really about something much bigger than this team of mercenaries," Price says.

As the game developed, Insomniac says the lighthearted visual tone of Overstrike didn't match what it was ultimately becoming: a mature, co-op shooter with a more serious story centered around the Fuse element.

"When we went in a darker direction, a less comic direction, we were able to do a lot more over-the-top experimentation with the weapons," he says. "We were able to make them look more brutal and do things to enemies that we simply couldn't do with our previous incarnation of the game. It wasn't until we started trying these things that we realized that's where the core fun, in terms of the minute-to-minute combat, lay."

Price says reaction to the change, even within Insomniac, was somewhat mixed.
"A large percentage [of the team] was relieved that we were embracing a more mature existence because it was more relevant to the gamers we were targeting," he says. "But there are some folks who loved the original campy direction. You can never please everybody. You have to do what you think is best for the game."

Price says the decision to move from Overstrike to Fuse only happened after "a lot of soul-searching," and plenty of "debate and analysis of what's going to make this game great." Allgeier says the decision to center the game around Fuse was made in early 2012.
So it is what it is. I'm not sure I'm interested, because they say in the article that teamwork is optional, meaning it's just four characters running around shooting things. I can understand that as the market for forced teamwork is possibly too small to target, but it means this is just another shooter only with different weapons, and a story that Insomniac think is worth telling but which I have little interest in. I'll get pretty much the same multiplayer shooter experience from Borderlands 2.

The question is: is it to late to change art style? Or better, are they even willing to change it? Even better: how could the art team come up with this?

I remember Borderlands changing its style rather late...So maybe there is hope for the game's art style.

Independent of this: I hope its more R2 coop type gameplay and not Borderlands type coop gameplay (you know, because a rather play Borderlands2 to get this experience).

When I said turn things around I meant in the way of turning all the negativety into something positive. I don't have a preference for either art direction.

The teamwork in R2 co-op was very forced. If the spec ops didn't keep the others supplied with ammo the whole thing would fall apart. Basically one person could undo the whole team efforts. I can understand that they want to move away from that kind of dependence on each other went the game has to work with random game joining. Ideally the classes should be somewhat self-reliant, but can still benefit from good teamwork. That might be a difficult balance to achieve.

I think Insomniac should have done a bigger re-reveal because they not only have to show off a new game, they have to prove its better then what they had before. If they could have shown the characters, the story and the gameplay come together in a way that make sense a lot negativety would probably have been avoided.

The teamwork in R2 co-op was very forced. If the spec ops didn't keep the others supplied with ammo the whole thing would fall apart. Basically one person could undo the whole team efforts. I can understand that they want to move away from that kind of dependence on each other went the game has to work with random game joining. Ideally the classes should be somewhat self-reliant, but can still benefit from good teamwork. That might be a difficult balance to achieve.
I think game design can happily accommodate true teamwork along with managing the potential risks of random coop. One idea that immediately comes to mind is a slider for 'cooperativity'. Each player has a range of skills or equipment that serve specific purposes, such as lock picks, scanners, jammers, smoke grenades, etc. The cooperativity slider would determine how much variety a player could yield themselves. With it all the way on 'solo', a player could equip items and skills to solve all issues. With it all the way on coop, each player is limited to a couple of options, meaning a dependence on the others. Half way, that dependence would be reduced but still there.

The fact games aren't managing a good balance that supports true coop is just because devs aren't really trying IMO. In gaming there are those who want to solo, those who want coop as in random games where you never know the capability or interest of the rest of your party members, and those who want to play with a specific group. The first two options are covered by creating a solo game and then allowing other players to join with the same mechanics. The latter bunch are really not catered for one jot, but there are definitely systems that could be employed if developers would just investigate them.

Back