Formula 1 - 2022 Season

De Vries is confirmed for Alpha Tauri next year, making theirs the shortest driver lineup in recent history. I wonder if they can use that to their advantage in terms of building the car, or if they’d be limited by the height of their reserve driver? Alfa started this year strongly because of the Ferrari engine, of course, but also because they were one of if not the only car under the weight limit because it was shorter than others.

Still strange to think Haas would go back to the Hulk, though he was praised for his feedback in the couple times he last subbed. How could Ricciardo not prefer driving a Haas over a reserve role for Merc? He wouldn’t even get a free practice or two because those are reserved for “young” (cough Alonso cough) drivers. I guess he’d rather step back for a year and spend more time with his family than race toward the back.

Rain will hopefully make the race more interesting than an easy win for Max. I still haven’t heard if rain would bring the Mercs (and Alpines?) more into it by lowering the top speeds.

Because Ricciardo doesn't want to drive a back of the field car for peanuts.

In other news; Max is now a 2 time WDC. Guess that was always going to happen given how fast he's been the last half dozen of races or so.

Today's rain just made it even easier. After the restart he basically cruised away at the front. Not an awful lot happened apart from that. Happy to see Vettel have a good race, he's got a lot of fans in Japan.

Oh and race control needs to be replaced. What's the point of a ridiculously long delay if right after the restart almost everyone switches to inters? Basically means it wasn't that wet at all. It didn't rain that hard.

drive to survive gonna be good. Domination by RB here. Merc has really fallen off. Nice to see Alpine move up

Ricciardo’s contract was presumably bought out by McLaren. Even if he somehow agreed to less than he was originally owed, I doubt it would amount to peanuts. So he could take any drive and not worry about pay.

The rain delay essentially turned the race into a sprint race with full points. Pity it was so short, because what we got was fun.

Double pity because the FIA proved incompetent. I’m not sure why they allowed the race to start considering the spray on the lap to the grid. It’s mind-boggling how in Suzuka in the wet, of all places, a recovery vehicle was on track with cars. People should be fired. It makes me wonder why they delayed the budget report until after Max was crowned champion. If RB were in major breach, would they dock their constructor’s points but leave Max’s driver’s points alone?

maybe have to start japan race earlier to give more room for eventual delays

monsoon rain is not fun but kinda wet and slightly drying racing is fun

imho even if its called minor, it should be harsh penalties or else every team will do it

I think F1 travels with wet tires to every race (2 full and 4 inter per car, so minimum 120). How do they or the FIA not also travel with 10 to 20 LED (foldable, magnetic, enough battery life for 3hrs flashing) lightbars per race to slap on top of every recovery vehicle? Idiotic. Pack them in the safety car’s trunk or something and fix a giant safety issue. That way we can focus on the idiocy of an F1-incompatible recovery vehicle on track in low vis and grip conditions.

Yeah all teams have said something along those line by now, unsurprisingly. What I don't understand is that A) they all agreed to the rules so shouldn't it be clear what the penalties are? And B) why isn't the FIA providing more information on how much and what caused the breach? Whether RBR overspend by 50 grand or 5 million kind of makes a big difference.

maybe the fia will announce a secret deal with rbr, just as they did with the ferrari engine debacle

if they do, there will be uproar

Yeah all teams have said something along those line by now, unsurprisingly. What I don't understand is that A) they all agreed to the rules so shouldn't it be clear what the penalties are? And B) why isn't the FIA providing more information on how much and what caused the breach? Whether RBR overspend by 50 grand or 5 million kind of makes a big difference.
A) No, because no penalties were set (because it does matter who breaks the rules no matter what FIA/F1 says)
B) Because they haven't reached a deal (which will never be disclosed) about the get out of jail free card Red Bull is about to get yet

Current chatter is $2mil overspend, but maybe everyone is parroting the same leak.

The FIA does seem to be going back to the Charlie Whiting era behind-closed-doors deals. Transparency just shines a light on politics and incompetence. Private deals force everyone to say Ferrari “allegedly” broke engine rules, sidestepping some public outcry.

ESPN has broadcast F1 in the U.S. since 2018 and the new deal will keep commercial-free, live telecasts for all races on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC, all owned by the Walt Disney Co. ESPN Deportes will continue as the Spanish-language home of F1 in the U.S.

I think Hamilton should have had Austin; given his lead over Max and only 15 laps to go. This really says a lot more about Max than what it says about Hamilton IMO. It’s a tough pill to swallow for hamilton I think even though he says he’s happy with the placement.

If it’s really just the car, RB is well ahead of everyone in that aspect.

Back