Formula 1 - 2012 Season

Wow. So I go to bed and Hamilton is on pole. I wake up and hes at the back of the grid! I was not expecting more than a 5 spot penalty (if any!). What a mess McLaren are in at the moment. Serial bad pitstops and now this.

If Hamilton got out of the car, and manually pushed the car from the back and manage to bring the car into part ferme, would he have been penalised?

A quick google didn't gave me an anwser but in the past drivers have pushed their cars (in a attempt) to finish so that might be allowed. However in Hamiltons case just passing start/finish he would be pushing in the opposite direction and I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to go in the wrong direction.

There are apparently penalties for taking too long to return to this pits so even if he drove really slowly things still wouldn't have ended well. Question is though would the penalty for being slow to get back worse than not getting back at all

The guy watching the fuel was on a smoke break? I mean how the hell does this even happen? The penalty might seem harsh but the lack of execution is amazing considering the high technical level of this sport.

Ironic that the rule actually got changed to what it is now after the exact same incident in 2010 by Hamilton & McLaren

Dirty rumors going around (from twitter), saying that 4 McLaren employees have walked away, apparently due bad treatment from the team.
Whitmarsh apparently has denied the rumor, the twitter account who told about this has been suspended, which raises suspicions that it could be true, why bother suspending one false rumor spreading twitter account?

probably those that have been messing up. couldn't take their deserved bollockings.

The rear-wheel guy was already replaced earlier

edit:
Hamilton continuing tradition of great stops, I wonder what he ran over when leaving pits

edit2:
How damn many races can Lotus tactics ruin? :mad:

edit3: Or is lotus right? Do Maldonado & Alonso have to stop once more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh bugger, 1 lap longer race and Räikkönen would have passed Alonso, 2 laps longer and he would have passed Maldonado :(

And 3 laps longer and he would've broke the sound barrier.

Great to see Williams back winning, but how many more victories are McLaren going to deny Hamilton. Lucky for them no one is dominant (other than them) so it's not really cost them the title.

And 3 laps longer and he would've broke the sound barrier.

Great to see Williams back winning, but how many more victories are McLaren going to deny Hamilton. Lucky for them no one is dominant (other than them) so it's not really cost them the title.

Indeed great to see Williams back up, but the fact is both Maldonados and Alonsos tires had "fallen off the cliff", and we know you can just fly past anyone with tires at that condition if yours still work fine like Kimi's did

Pretty major fire just occured in the Williams garage just as the team had gathered around for a speech / team celebration.

Huge fire dampened what was a great race. Credit where credit's due: Maldonado did a great job, no mistakes and he did not cave under pressure.

Alonso just pushed a bit too hard and fell of the cliff so maybe if Kimi had stuck with the hard tyre the result would have been different. I think it is great to see Kimi doing so well and the team from Enstone are a good bunch of guys.

Still, the fire was bad. Really thick black smoke, but it showed the reaction time and sense of duty from everyone in F1, they were standing shoulder to shoulder trying to put out the fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great win for Williams. Great for Maldonado, maybe people talking about him paying his way into F1 will shut up now.

McLaren's greatest adversary continues to be McLaren.

Am I the only one who feel this tyre business has gone too far ? The latter half of the race had more to do with preserving tyres than racing. Not to mention the complete mockery that was Q3, people actually pay to go see racing.

There needs to be a rule change if you don't set a qualifying time, either move 10 places back on the grid, or let the fastest competing team decide which tyre the dodgers should start on (I'd pick intermediates :D )

Cheers

Points for quali, then they have to run.

Red Bull said Vettel didn't set a time because there was no way for them to break into top 5. Unless points are awarded to the top 9 qualifiers there is no incentive for them to go out and set a time.

Just have separate sets for quali and race and drop this penny pinching bullshit on everything.

I generally agree with you, but I don't think it would have made a difference for the spanish GP. The reason Red Bull didn't record a time was to give them the option of what type of tyre to start on AFAICT. Now, everybody started on the option tyres, but RB had the choice not to, potentially giving them a tactical advantage.

Wrt. crumbling tyres in general: Too much tactics, too little racing. I would much rather had seen Hamilton race his way up from last place instead of easing along on a two stop strategy, I would have liked to see Kimi and Alonso push hard towards the end too.

Cheers

Well imo the rule that you have to start the race with the same tyres is also a dumb one and creates unnecessary strategic decisions. The only thing carried from quali to the race should be the grid positions. Just give them different sets for quali and race and let the teams use them any way they want, while perhaps keeping the rule that both compounds must be used during the race.

Back