Formula 1 - 2010 Season

Kimi should go to Mercedes. Kimi and Nico is a better pairing than Nico and Nick IMHO.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80225

"Jenson will not be doing anything at all for McLaren until the end of this calendar year," Brawn chief executive officer Nick Fry told AUTOSPORT. "And if he does, we will be looking on it very dimly.
"He didn't have any obligations to us for 2010, but there are issues with regards to the signing process on which we are in discussion with him at the moment.
"There are clear constraints on what Jenson can do between now and the end of the year, which we will be rigorously enforcing."

It reminds me a little of when Jenson signed for Williams a few years ago only to backtrack.
Seems, admittedly from the outside, to me that Jenson has a weakness when it comes to negotiating contracts. I think comments like that taint Jenson's character and it seems that Jenson has been an extremely loyal employee, who even took a major pay cut and won a world championship for his team and is rewarded by being messed around when trying to renew his contract.

For his previous employer to be so public in this and a previous article at autosport shows to me that Mr Fry is an ass.

I think both sides has been asses in this, Tahir2. Jenson has said fuck you to Brawn, now Brawn are saying fuck you to him.

It sucks all around.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80225

It reminds me a little of when Jenson signed for Williams a few years ago only to backtrack.
Seems, admittedly from the outside, to me that Jenson has a weakness when it comes to negotiating contracts. I think comments like that taint Jenson's character and it seems that Jenson has been an extremely loyal employee, who even took a major pay cut and won a world championship for his team and is rewarded by being messed around when trying to renew his contract.

For his previous employer to be so public in this and a previous article at autosport shows to me that Mr Fry is an ass.

''He even took a major pay cut''. Well, Lets be honest here for a moment. The guy made a fortune while he didnt perform anything on the track for 2 years. Sure he could have left Brawn but really I dont think there would have been any team that would have hired him. Certainly not for the money he still ended up getting from Brawn.

It seems to me that every thinks Button is making the wrong choice or has the wrong motivations behind it or is being badly advised, but does that have to be the case? Fry says that its clear things were "seriously awry" with the negociations on Sunday and Monday - this was obviously following the McLaren visit; could he not just have been impressed with what he saw there and felt that, yeah, perhaps they do offer something more than Brawn?

Additionally, we don't necessarily know his true motivations - he's been in F1 for a long time and now become world champ; perhaps he genuinely does want to pit himself again Hamilton and perhaps he actually fancies his chances. In that regard everyone is already saying he's on to a loser, so if he does lose then there was no expectation loss, on the other hand if he does come close or even beat Hamilton the all of a sudden he's a hero!

Heh.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80230

"It was 100 per cent my choice. For me, the move is because it's going to be a huge challenge to go up against Lewis in his environment. My goal since I was eight years old has been to win the world title, and I've done that now. Now I feel I need a new challenge."

The Briton denied the decision had been motivated by financial issues.

"No. I'm earning less than I would have at Brawn. I didn't move for money and everyone knows it. It's something new for me. I'll have to work very hard in the new situation I've put myself in, and I intend to do it.

Fry can talk tough all he wants and appear to be "irked" by Jenson, but we all know Mercedes were not going to keep Button as there is no smoke without fire.

Jenson is massively over-rated and I believe he's taken the McLaren seat because when he loses at least he will be able to say he's lost to the best driver in F1 rather than if he had stayed and got beat by Rosberg.

I don't think he is massively over-rated. He is a good driver - he can outperform many on the track right now and is very good at overtaking.

As for pitting yourself against Hamilton - well it didn't do Alonso much good (and he is an awesome driver, much better than Button IMHO).

I guess he is fkd. LOL. But you got to respect the fact that he doesn't want an easy ride.

What happened to that other Toyota Japanese driver, Kobayashi? Is anyone going to hire him? That dude was seriously good! If a little bit of a hazard..

I love Kobayashi too. He is a revelation, I hope he can land a drive, he has certainly deserved at least a year in F1.

I don't for a second believe that Jensons true intentions are what he is now telling to the press. Of course, no one wants to be cought moving to an other team just for the money's sake.

I just think there's more to it and Button's displeasure with Brawn after he had won the WDC shows that there are some things, that didn't seem to go his way. If it's not financial, what is it then?

Perhaps, they wanted to renew his contract using the same salary which wasn't enough for Button, then he started to talk to McLaren while Mercedes buys Brawn and at that point, both parties offered more with McLaren offering the better package?

I have to admit though, I see Button's risk of failing at McLaren to be a lot smaller than if he were to fail at Brawn against Rosberg. Being beaten by Hamilton is less of a story than by Rosberg.

He had two choices:

1- lose to Rosberg in a car he knows best (brawn)

2- lose to hamilton in a car he doesn't know (Mclaren) which is a great excuse with a good alibi (fisichela in ferrari sucking).

Because he is the slowest of the three, changing to Mclaren is a win/win situation and better yet if he turns out to be very quick.

Additionally, we don't necessarily know his true motivations - he's been in F1 for a long time and now become world champ; perhaps he genuinely does want to pit himself again Hamilton and perhaps he actually fancies his chances. In that regard everyone is already saying he's on to a loser, so if he does lose then there was no expectation loss, on the other hand if he does come close or even beat Hamilton the all of a sudden he's a hero!

I tend to agree, he may have thought that Rosberg might be better than me and that would look bad, at Mclaren he can fall back on the team built around Hamilton if it goes awry.

Message to Phil, Brawn says he is getting less, Jenson says he is getting less, there is not evidence that he is getting more, you can admit you were wrong, we won't laugh too much :p

heh heh

Message to Phil, Brawn says he is getting less, Jenson says he is getting less, there is not evidence that he is getting more, you can admit you were wrong, we won't laugh too much :p
heh heh

Hum sorry what? Wrong about what exactly? Perhaps re-read (carefully) what I have posted in this topic and then read up what's been the talk of most press since pretty much the last GP. Here's a starter:

Autosport 17th November said:
Autosport Link

Button had been negotiating a new Brawn deal since early in the season, with talks intensifying after he clinched the world championship in the Brazilian Grand Prix on October 18.

But the team was unwilling to offer more than a £4 million a year deal, around half of what Button's management is asking. Despite Mercedes taking over the team, chief executive officer Nick Fry emphasised that nothing had changed in the Button discussions.

"I'm sorry to say, it's not going to change anything," Fry told the BBC.

"We're running with a budget that is probably less than most of the others have spent and that's what Mercedes likes. In these financially constrained times, you do have to tighten your belt.

"We've had discussions with Jenson on what we think is a sensible salary and this is not going to change anything in that respect."

Note: I'm not arguing that the latest Brawn offered isn't higher than what McLaren is giving him - I'm arguing that there were salary negotiations going on that didn't meet Buttons demands. This has been all over the news since pretty much the last GP. I can dig up some other, older articles if need be... ;)

So to re-state what I've said before - Nick Fry told the press 3 days ago that nothing has changed in the Button discussions despite Mercedes picking up Brawn GP. Since that's an estimated £4 million and McLaren just put him on an £18 million 3 season contract... I fail to see how that isn't more at that time? Irregerdless if Button did it for financial reasons or not - I think there were quite a few factors going on that made him leave Brawn.

Even Rosberg, at another team is estimated to have a higher salary in 2009 than what Button was promised to be getting (assuming equal salary in 2010 like 2009).

Someone who is treated like a king at Ferrari to go to Mercedes? I don't think so. He retired for a reason. He may come back, but last season was just temporary thing and we all know he wouldnt have carried beyond.

Schumacher? No!

It really would tarnish his reputation if he went back to racing. At 40+ he simply would not be a match for the likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel.

Poor guy... he should try the Indy 500 ;)

Back