Formula 1 - 2008 Season

And Hamilton, while did let Kimi back in front, didn't "normalize the situation" by going really behind Kimi like he should have

For god sake how far behind do you want him ?!

Hamiltons position at the point prior to overtaking Kimi was exactly the same as prior to entering the chicane, i.e right up his exhaust. The first overtaking manouver failed because he was forced wide, he allowed Kimi 100% back in front and the second pass stuck.

There's no contact - and what do you mean by Hamilton not going really behind Raikkonen?

100% corrupt IMO, no less.

Cheers

Behind as in, let the situation get "stable", where both drivers drive straight, one behind the other like normally when you're not overtaking the other one at that moment - Hamilton never stepped down from "overtaking position" even though he did let Kimi get a bit ahead
When you shortcut through chicane, you're supposed to normalize the situation, not just let the one you passed in front of you for couple seconds.

When you shortcut through chicane, you're supposed to normalize the situation, not just let the one you passed in front of you for couple seconds.

Can someone point me in the direction of the FIA Regs in this respect - I can't find anything relevent. Not that's I want Kaotik to be wrong ;) but I want to understand the rules as they stand.

Wow, that was a really harsh judgement. Why didn't Massa also get a drive-through in Valencia? Why didn't Hammy get a 10000 euro fine?

Fuck.

There's no contact - and what do you mean by Hamilton not going really behind Raikkonen?

100% corrupt IMO, no less.

Cheers

I think the penalty might've come at 50sec. Lewis came down the long straight, went left, then right then towards the end of the straight, left again.

He's not supposed to do that.

I must say though, I think it was a bit harsh.

US

Behind as in, let the situation get "stable", where both drivers drive straight, one behind the other like normally when you're not overtaking the other one at that moment - Hamilton never stepped down from "overtaking position" even though he did let Kimi get a bit ahead

Hamilton had to ease off the throttle to go behind Raikkonen (ie. had lower speed down the straight). God only knows what Raikkonen thought he was doing with the zig-zag manoeuvre down the straight.

To me it was just a racing incident, if Hamilton should be penalized for going through the Bus Stop, Raikkonen should be penalized for pushing Hamilton off the track prior. Hamilton's front wheels are clearly in front of Raikkonen's rear wheels, thus Raikkonen aren't allowed to just push Hamilton off the track.

Cheers

Behind as in, let the situation get "stable", where both drivers drive straight, one behind the other like normally when you're not overtaking the other one at that moment - Hamilton never stepped down from "overtaking position" even though he did let Kimi get a bit ahead.
It wasn't a bit ahead! He had let Kimi completely past because by the time he made the move on at the hairpin he passed on the other side! Unless McLaren have developed some kind of Shadowcat matter transferance technology he had slowed to let Kimi completely past.

Because Massa drives for Ferrari.

Cheers
Yep, they must have the best lobbyists in F1 and McLaren must have the worst gaffe-producing guys in the history of lobbying.

This kind of inconsistency is bad for the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70404

A McLaren spokesman said: "We looked at all our data and also made it available to the FIA stewards. It showed that, having lifted, Lewis was 6km/h slower than Kimi as they crossed the start/finish line.

"Having passed the lead back to Kimi, Lewis repositioned his car, moving across and behind Kimi to the right-hand line and then outbraked him into the hairpin. Based on this data, we have no option other than to register our intention to appeal."

Everyone apart from Ferrari boycott from F1 - The race is now between two ferrari cars. :D

Seriously, I do not think massa deserves the penalty, but I am not saying anything about this incident. Massa was nowhere near Hamilton throughout the race though.

I have to say, that's a rediculous decision. Hamilton allow Kimi back in front - not just by a nose but tucked behind him and as kimi weaved around to protect the line (against regs ?) he went past again.

Though I defenitly agree that Hamilton shouldnt have gotten the punishment, I do understand why they did though they shouldnt have ''solved'' it like this. The point is, Kimi defended his line, Hamilton didnt make it and crossed the chicane. Nothing wrong with that, but now look at what he did next. He barely let kimi past, getting right behind him right in the slipstream meaning he has the advantage. If he didnt cut the chicane he would be more behind Kimi than he was. I think that is the view they have, and I agree. Though Hamilton would have passed Kimi anyway and the punishment is just sheer stupidity.

Wow, that was a really harsh judgement. Why didn't Massa also get a drive-through in Valencia? Why didn't Hammy get a 10000 euro fine?

Fuck.

Maybe because there is a big difference between a pitstop incident where nothing really happend and a incident making the difference between #1 and #2? I honestly cant comprehend the sheer lack of insight some people lack when it comes to comparing situations.

Everyone apart from Ferrari boycott from F1 - The race is now between two ferrari cars. :D

Seriously, I do not think massa deserves the penalty, but I am not saying anything about this incident. Massa was nowhere near Hamilton throughout the race though.

He was only 4 to 5 seconds behind untill the last 1 or 2 laps when he intentionally slowed down. Wouldnt exactly call that nowehere near.

Maybe because there is a big difference between a pitstop incident where nothing really happend and a incident making the difference between #1 and #2? I honestly cant comprehend the sheer lack of insight some people lack when it comes to comparing situations.
Indeed, one was just unsafe for a camera man and other people in the pit lane. Who cares about human life when a race result is at stake?

im not sure if the punishment was just, but if it was me a certainly would of waited a bit longer before overtaking just to be absolutely sure the fia were happy

Back