First playtest of PS2 emulation on euro PS3?

Then sony should not have sent it to them, right? Obviously sony sent it to them to look at and or try out, having a test at the BC shouldn't be something un expected. I don't think this is a gaming media issue this time, I think it's more about you just being overly defensive... So what if they looked at the BC the way it is, that's sony's fault for sending it to them without the latest firmware and sony's fault for not making the firmware available yet. Don't blame the messenger...

He may be defensive, but you're surely being a bit eager to blame Sony on this non-issue.

It isn't very feasible for these review units to have 1.6 on them right now -- they'll probably be working on it until the last minute. Unless I'm mistaken, this unit was meant to review PS3 games, not PS2. Sure they could have disabled it all together on these units (like they did on the test units for NA, iirc), but it doesn't mean it's Sony's fault because these chukle-heads don't have the mental capacity to understand the situation.

Sony probably could have prevented it, but I'm not sure how you can blame the incompetence of the media on them.

The media has gotten away with way too much incompetence lately.

Then sony should not have sent it to them, right? Obviously sony sent it to them to look at and or try out, having a test at the BC shouldn't be something un expected. I don't think this is a gaming media issue this time, I think it's more about you just being overly defensive... So what if they looked at the BC the way it is, that's sony's fault for sending it to them without the latest firmware and sony's fault for not making the firmware available yet. Don't blame the messenger...

Any gaming media worth their salt KNOWS that there is a new firmware scheduled for release the 23 march.

This is like reading a tabloid:

Ernüchternde Ergebnisse: So ist es um die Abwärtskompatibilität der PlayStation 3 wirklich bestellt.

"Sobering news, this is the real picture of the PS3 BC."

And then they carry on with the toilet drinking:

Allerdings ist bisher noch kein Update für eine PAL-PS3 verfügbar, die im Auslieferungszustand mit der System-Software 1.50 läuft.

"However, so far there is no update for the PAL PS3´s that is going to ship with 1.5"
Well.. big surprise! ?

Wir hoffen, dass Sony möglichst zeitnah zum Europa-Release ein entsprechendes Update veröffentlichen wird

"We hope that Sony will release a Firmware close to the PS3 release."

http://www.psu.com/node/7699

Sony Computer Entertainment President Phil Harrison, in an interview with GameInformer magazine, let slip a new detail regarding the March PS3 firmware upgrade. Firmware v1.6 will include background downloads which will allow you to multitask while a trailer, demo or PS1 game download off the PlayStation Store.

He may be defensive, but you're surely being a bit eager to blame Sony on this non-issue.

Just for the record, i was really pissed by Sony breaking a PROMISE on the BC thing, in my view it was the first real promise they broke. I really hope they are doing some extreme damage control on this with the software solution.

Just for the record, i was really pissed by Sony breaking a PROMISE on the BC thing, in my view it was the first real promise they broke. I really hope they are doing some extreme damage control on this with the software solution.

I meant non-issue in the sense that 1.5 isn't going to be the only firmware out when it's launched, not that the reduced BC in general is a non-issue.

I don't think they got a PS3 shipped by boat if they got it 10 days before launch but it's obvious there's not going to be much that you could review unless you really think every single person who gets a ps3 around euro launch will never connect to the internet.

I don't think they got a PS3 shipped by boat if they got it 10 days before launch but it's obvious there's not going to be much that you could review unless you really think every single person who gets a ps3 around euro launch will never connect to the internet.

Afaik it was shipped by boat to Holland and from there via truck to scandinavia, since this video of 31 trucks heading for Denmark,Norway and sweeden was posted 5 days ago i think the boat thing sounds plausible.

http://sputnik-dyn.tv2.dk/player/as...dle=15102568:e692cb0dfebab1526cacf65a92c20ed3

On Topic, when was the FW 1.5 released? since it included the FW upgrade i would be interesting to know from those that have the BC hardware if it´s using the BC hardware with the software supported games.

Or should Europeans expect to have to upgrade their consoles to 1.6 as soon as they got home (in order to play any BC games)?

Pretty much, yeah. Just as we Americans were expected to upgrade our firmware (on day 1) to even go online. I can't really see too much of an issue with that, though.

EDIT

On a side note, in terms of firmware updates, and most everything XMB related, they really need to copy themselves. They should adopt far more of the PSP's procedures and functionalities. For example, when downloading an update directly from the console, it should save itself somewhere locally, allowing me to run it later (as I can with the PSP). They should also allow multiple Wi-Fi profiles, and not just drop the settings when you switch to wired (as I can with the PSP). Although those particular functionalities were born out of necessity due to the PSP's portable, battery powered, nature, they're equally welcome on a home console, IMO. But that's my mini-rant. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much, yeah. Just as we Americans were expected to upgrade our firmware (on day 1) to even go online.
If you needed to upgrade the firmware on day one to go online, how did you go online to get the firmware?! Haha! I have caught you in your vicious lie!

It isn't very feasible for these review units to have 1.6 on them right now -- they'll probably be working on it until the last minute. Unless I'm mistaken, this unit was meant to review PS3 games, not PS2. Sure they could have disabled it all together on these units (like they did on the test units for NA, iirc), but it doesn't mean it's Sony's fault because these chukle-heads don't have the mental capacity to understand the situation.

Sony probably could have prevented it, but I'm not sure how you can blame the incompetence of the media on them.

The media has gotten away with way too much incompetence lately.

The onus is on sony, not some website for knowing and telling those they send out euro ps3's to that a firmware update is coming.

The onus is on sony, not some website for knowing and telling those they send out euro ps3's to that a firmware update is coming.

Do you really think they didn´t know?

They wrote a stupid controversial article to generate hits and they sure did. This happens all the time.

I am happy I rarely see any links to the Inquirer here anymore. Thanks everybody!

Edit: Here we go.
Phil did confirm that the PAL/Euro version of the Playstation 3 currently has over 1200 compatible PS2 titles, with more to be added to the list by the time the console launches. This will be via a necessary firmware upgrade to 1.6 (the consoles were shipped over 4 weeks ago.)
http://www.playthree.net/2007/03/european-ps3-has-over-1200-compatible.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than 2 weeks from laucnh anfd backwards compatibility is even more a shambles than we previously expected after the hardware nerf announcement?

Sorry guys but I really don't believe in last-minute miracles. If that software BC isn't ready already after all the time Sony's had to prepare it's not gonna be in another 12 paltry days. At least not for a long time. Maybe never.

Peace.

Less than 2 weeks from laucnh anfd backwards compatibility is even more a shambles than we previously expected after the hardware nerf announcement?

Sorry guys but I really don't believe in last-minute miracles. If that software BC isn't ready already after all the time Sony's had to prepare it's not gonna be in another 12 paltry days. At least not for a long time. Maybe never.

Sorry, but I cannot follow your logic.
Why would the PS3s possibly shipped from the factory months ago be equipped with firmware containing more or less the same BC as the the firmWare that will available for download at release?

1200 BC titles at launch is not bad in my ears. And why would they not be able to improve it further ?later on?

Peace.

Everybody please read this post, it´s perfect example of WHY the linked article sucks ass, here we have a potential buyer (lol) getting totally false info regarding a machine he so dearly would like to own, if only it could play PS2 games. There is very little chance that Rainbow Man will ever find the gold at the end of his Rainbow, like 1200+ games that work on his PS3.

Phil did confirm that the PAL/Euro version of the Playstation 3 currently has over 1200 compatible PS2 titles, with more to be added to the list by the time the console launches. This will be via a necessary firmware upgrade to 1.6 (the consoles were shipped over 4 weeks ago.)

You know Rainbow, if Sony had planned to do this for a long time there is a very fair chance they have been working on software BC for... a very long time.

cynamite.de and the Official PlayStation Magazine is the same publishing house. From the OPM they got their PS3 - and the OPM got it weeks ago (issue o3/o7 from 12.02.07). Sony sent it to test the console, not the BC. For this you need the firmware 1.60 you'll get at the launch day 23.03.
Not very serious by cynamit.de - but it works: they got the publicity.

Back