Huge PSP Software announcement from Sony

LBP would be a perfect portable game, you could build levels on the train, or in bed (being inspired by some crazy dream you just had ;)). Is it possible for LBP's physics to be kept intact by the move to PSP, provided the graphics are dumbed down (no complex lighting etc.)?

However, its too bad there still isn't any new news on a release date for GT4 Mobile.

Damn, now I really wish someone hadn't stolen my PSP :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my PSP pouch on an international flight, together with GTA, Socom and Metal Gear Ac!d; plus over 100 hours of game saves. It had the original Sharp screen. T_T

I am rather excited by this prospect to date: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173059

Sony has been talking with publishers about the interesting proposition of bringing their back catalogs to PSN, including games that weren't originally on Sony platforms.

Speaking with MTV Multiplayer, PlayStation's U.S. marketing head, John Koller, explained, "In general there's a lot of discussion about [publishers'] back catalogs that will finally find its way to PlayStation Network in the back half of this year."

Bringing over a game that wasn't released on PSOne, though, presents obvious problems. But Koller says Sony isn't going to stop them from broadening the horizons of downloadable games on PSN. "We look for some of those big hits from all of the past games in their history and look for ways we can bring them over. It's not always easy. There's obviously technical areas that need to be bridged. But when those are solved, consumers will see a wide variety of retro games and brand new games coming to PSN."

Tapping and growing the PSP mod community is also a bold and interesting move. I don't want to hack my PSP because I don't have time to keep up. I hope they do PSP LBP and Home the right way (Put something to entice the modders over). I am also eager to try out the PSP Ad hoc Network infrastructure.

The Go! Messenger service tanked but I think that's because the user experience s*ck and the network experience are not well established. Most importantly, PSP lacks a perpectual network connection (like Cellphones).

I lost my PSP pouch on an international flight, together with GTA, Socom and Metal Gear Ac!d; plus over 100 hours of game saves. It had the original Sharp screen. T_T

So did you lose your PSP as well, or just the pouch?

Mine was an original as well, they were built much better than the later hardware revisions (the UMD drive door mechanism was a thing of beauty).

It had custom firmware on too, which made the system much better, load times were reduced (you didn't need to lug UMD's around) and the substantial noise from the UMD spinning was eliminated.

So did you lose your PSP as well, or just the pouch?

Mine was an original as well, they were built much better than the later hardware revisions (the UMD drive door mechanism was a thing of beauty).

It had custom firmware on too, which made the system much better, load times were reduced (you didn't need to lug UMD's around) and the substantial noise from the UMD spinning was eliminated.

Yap, the whole entire thing, including the PSP and other accessories + games + game saves in the Stick.

Yap, the whole entire thing, including the PSP and other accessories + games + game saves in the Stick.

That sucks, I lost my pouch, stick and PSP as well, but only 1 game. :cry:

Did you get a new one? I might buy another one if I can find an original (or the slim) new or in good condition.
Don't want to buy the PSP 3000 as the screen is crap and it can't be hacked.

I got a PSP-1000 immediately. ^_^

What pained me was my 100+ hour Metal Gear Ac!d game save. :(
[size=-2]I unlocked all the bikini models too[/size]

I got a PSP-1000 immediately. ^_^

What pained me was my 100+ hour Metal Gear Ac!d game save. :(
[size=-2]I unlocked all the bikini models too[/size]

I tried Portable Ops, absolutely hated the controls, and the graphics weren't that good. I thought Syphon Filter made a better TPS.

So I have no idea how you sunk 100 hours into a glorified card game. You must really love your Metal Gear.

I tried Portable Ops, absolutely hated the controls, and the graphics weren't that good. I thought Syphon Filter made a better TPS.

So I have no idea how you sunk 100 hours into a glorified card game. You must really love your Metal Gear.

Err.... Portable Ops and MGA are totally different games. Portable Ops is a stealth game with a major strategic element: Build an army like what BigBoss did ! It is not a plain shooter. You must have missed this part because you only played very briefly (like minutes or even seconds). Instead of killing the enemies, you can abduct them to join your army. Then build the army up by equipping the soldiers and training them. In fact, if Snake "dies" in a boss fight, the top few soldiers will continue the boss fight in sequence. So you really need to rank and equip your soldiers well. That's part of the trill anyway.

OTOH, MGA is a straight up card game. No glorification needed. You see the actual cards in-game too. :LOL: The 3D presentation shows your position and facing on the game board. Those are critical information in a strategy game. There is no aiming at all like regular shooters so you can't compare it to any shooters.

Besides, card games can be fun to play too. Doesn't have to be Metal Gears specific. And I love good games, so naturally some Metal Gears are in my library. ;-)

For what it's worth, card games are very suitable for portable gaming. I can stop anytime I want because it's turn based.

I find the screen on the 3000 to be fine in actual use. It does have less glare than previous models, and the interlacing issue is not nearly as bad as the internets would have you believe. That said, my 2000 model works fine and I have no need to replace it.

Err.... Portable Ops and MGA are totally different games. Portable Ops is a stealth game with a major strategic element: Build an army like what BigBoss did ! It is not a plain shooter. You must have missed this part because you only played very briefly (like minutes or even seconds). Instead of killing the enemies, you can abduct them to join your army. Then build the army up by equipping the soldiers and training them. In fact, if Snake "dies" in a boss fight, the top few soldiers will continue the boss fight in sequence. So you really need to rank and equip your soldiers well. That's part of the trill anyway.

OTOH, MGA is a straight up card game. No glorification needed. You see the actual cards in-game too. :LOL: The 3D presentation shows your position and facing on the game board. Those are critical information in a strategy game. There is no aiming at all like regular shooters so you can't compare it to any shooters.

Besides, card games can be fun to play too. Doesn't have to be Metal Gears specific. And I love good games, so naturally some Metal Gears are in my library. ;-)

For what it's worth, card games are very suitable for portable gaming. I can stop anytime I want because it's turn based.

I meant that Portable Ops was better than the Acid games (which were generally disliked), and even it didn't impress me that much.

Basically all genres transfer well to portable gameplay on PSP, as the system just pauses gameplay when you put it to sleep, so you can resume wherever you left off.

I meant that Portable Ops was better than the Acid games (which were generally disliked), and even it didn't impress me that much.

Portable Ops is not a shooter (except during boss fights). I spent much time grinding the army buildup, looking for good soldiers to join me all over the island.

Ac!d appeals to card gamers (I used to play war games). Once I figured out the game strategy, it kinda clicked.

Basically all genres transfer well to portable gameplay on PSP, as the system just pauses gameplay when you put it to sleep, so you can resume wherever you left off.

There are more to it.

I don't like to play FPSes on PSP because the controls doesn't feel as good as the Home console.

Stopping in the middle of an intense game is disruptive too.

MGA games weren't generally disliked ... people just wanted to also see a proper MGS on the PSP (and some were only interested in a proper MGS on PSP). The MGA games were still pretty great though, I think. Just a completely different type of game, that's all.

Back