First playtest of PS2 emulation on euro PS3?

nintenho

Veteran
The site is in german, please forgive the rough translation:
http://www.cynamite.de/ps3/news/mor...ibilitaet_der_ps3_so_siehts_wirklich_aus.html
Up to the Germany start of the PS3 there is still scarcely two weeks, Sony us however already also finished packed PAL copies of the new console supplied. After the message over the reduced downward compatibility of new series (under it also all PAL-PS3s) we examined, like well the crate on delivery actually with PS2-Spielen by right come-coming twelve plays we tested. Without niche titles we did consciously and us to popular and to a large extent current plays limited. We tried the following Games out:

- God of War
- MGS 2: Sons of Liberty
- MGS 3: Snake Eater
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Guitar Hero 2
- Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
- Okami
- GTA: Liberty City Stories
- Eragon
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Ratchet & Clank 3
- Lumines Plus

The result was ernuechternd: From the twelve plays accurately one ran, i.e. Eragon. All other titles refused the service with the reference to future software updates and Sonys Website to the downward compatibility. At least of Sony titles such as God OF was or Ratchet & Clank 3 we would have expected that this does not want to improve Sony the compatibility also on the PS3 function-naturally meant that that the tested titles will never run on a PlayStation3, finally by updates of the system software. However so far still no update for a PAL-PS3 is available, which runs on delivery with the system software 1,50. We hope that Sony will publish as time near as possible to European release an appropriate update, otherwise might PS3-Kaeufer with PS2-Spielesammlung a disappointment experience.

If real, I think it's saying that many games don't work (oddly only Eragon worked out of the 12 they tested) but that future updates should come that make all the other major games work.

The site is in german, please forgive the rough translation:
http://www.cynamite.de/ps3/news/mor...ibilitaet_der_ps3_so_siehts_wirklich_aus.html

If real, I think it's saying that many games don't work (oddly only Eragon worked out of the 12 they tested) but that future updates should come that make all the other major games work.
According to that site the PS3 tested has Firmware 1.50 which is not the latest firmware on the day of EU launch.

Allerdings ist bisher noch kein Update für eine PAL-PS3 verfügbar, die im Auslieferungszustand mit der System-Software 1.50 läuft.

Yeah that's why I assumed there's going to be an update past what the current north american and japanese ones have for launch or around launch but I don't get why they have a PS3 to test emulation on now. Especially one that doesn't have the latest firmware.

Possibly, but you'd think that sony would at least let the emulation catch up for two more weeks before letting a journalist test it.
They were probably given the unit in order to primarily test/review the soon to be released PAL-versions of the PS3 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic article, best i ever read, they are testing BC on Console that doesn´t have the required Firmware

With Sony going the software way of bc I cant honestly see them taking this seriously or even considering incorporating a large amount of PS2 titles with the Euro PS3. I seriously doubt we see the proposed 1k titles availabe upon release and its a "feature" I look for them to drop not to far from launch (much like the way of MS).

--Bc isnt much of an issue to me which is most likely why Im not very optimistic on the concept.

Can this be real? It would be strange if Sony doesnt make sure to make a great deal of the best PS2 games compatible/playable with the PS3.

I mean...how many play Eragon and how many play GoW, Shadow of Colossus and such? If people cant play the best its like having no BC at all since people rarely care playing the mediocre or crap games

But still interesting in that its revealed that for some odd reason one game is compatible.

To me it only proves that it works, i seriously hope that Sony is gonna give me the BC they promised, withdraw and then promised again with a hefty reduction, and that review doesn´t tell me or us anything about that.

It might not be using the launch firmware, but it must be using something beyond 1.5 or no PS2 games would run because the EE is emulated and it requires the firmware to recognise this. Right?

It might not be using the launch firmware, but it must be using something beyond 1.5 or no PS2 games would run because the EE is emulated and it requires the firmware to recognise this. Right?

Who knows. But it's reported to be running 1.5, and thus, not the firmware required. Eragon running correctly seems like fluke chance to me.

But the article is definitely terrible, and the reasoning broken.

At least it's only ten days before we'll be similarly terrible articles along the lines of: Sony took our advice, and fixed some of the backwards compatability issues we reported on the 13th...

A more interesting question is: Why is it there is a Euro Spec PS3 without the 1.6 firmware? If that is the launching FW it would seem like they should all have the latest FW. Or should Europeans expect to have to upgrade their consoles to 1.6 as soon as they got home (in order to play any BC games)?

So just who do you think gave them a European PS3 console that included software BC?

Not someone that wanted a review of the BC performance and thought it would be presented as "what to expect from the FINAL European PS3". That article just sucks and it´s another perfect example of how much some of the gaming media sucks.

A more interesting question is: Why is it there is a Euro Spec PS3 without the 1.6 firmware? If that is the launching FW it would seem like they should all have the latest FW. Or should Europeans expect to have to upgrade their consoles to 1.6 as soon as they got home (in order to play any BC games)?

My guess is that there is a 1.5 because that is what left the factory,was put on a boat and sailed to Europe. The 1.6 is surely done except for the BC thing where Sony hopefully is busting their asses to get as many games included as possible. They don´t have to place the new FW online before 23:59 on the 22 march.

Considering you should count about 6 weeks between the PS3 rolling out of the factory and arriving in Europe, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to install the 1.6 firmware and it comes with 1.5x out of the box. It may come with an extra disc that has the new firmware on it, or the bonus BluRay disc you get after registering may pack it in.

Not someone that wanted a review of the BC performance and thought it would be presented as "what to expect from the FINAL European PS3". That article just sucks and it´s another perfect example of how much some of the gaming media sucks.

Then sony should not have sent it to them, right? Obviously sony sent it to them to look at and or try out, having a test at the BC shouldn't be something un expected. I don't think this is a gaming media issue this time, I think it's more about you just being overly defensive... So what if they looked at the BC the way it is, that's sony's fault for sending it to them without the latest firmware and sony's fault for not making the firmware available yet. Don't blame the messenger...

Back