Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Ok nevermind, I decide to suck it up and grow a pair and I finally lived thru insta-death just long enough to heal and take Cid down. I distpatched the next 2 Eidolon pretty easily and am now in Gran Pulse. Tough place, I know I've got to battle to get enough points to level up my characters but it seems everything has mega HP. Waht's your strategy here? Grind it?

Not necessarily....its time for you to have some fun without worrying about anything else.
Do some of the cieth stone missions (try to complete mission 14 asap so that you unlock the chocobos), roam around a bit & then go to Taejin Tower to follow the story.....its really your choice here, I spent almost 25 hours wandering around before finally moving on to the main quest & then spent another 15 hours or so before moving onto the next chapter.

So yea I took my time to finish Chapter 11, but if you want to do it fast then you can probably finish it under 10 hours....just keep in mind that if you finish chapter 11 while still being underpowered then you'll face a lot of problems in the next two chapters.

Not necessarily....its time for you to have some fun without worrying about anything else.
Do some of the cieth stone missions (try to complete mission 14 asap so that you unlock the chocobos), roam around a bit & then go to Taejin Tower to follow the story.....its really your choice here, I spent almost 25 hours wandering around before finally moving on to the main quest & then spent another 15 hours or so before moving onto the next chapter.

So yea I took my time to finish Chapter 11, but if you want to do it fast then you can probably finish it under 10 hours....just keep in mind that if you finish chapter 11 while still being underpowered then you'll face a lot of problems in the next two chapters.

Thanks, sounds like I'll be here for a few weeks then. :LOL:

Yeah, just enjoy yourself in Gran Pulse. They reward you rather well. Before you know it, creatures that used to give you trouble no longer threaten you after a while. There are many hidden side quests too. Try to complete the Chocobo quest asap so you can access those secret areas.

Behind The Scenes of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3064...Scenes_of_Square_Enixs_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

These excerpts, extracted from the October 2010 issue of Game Developer magazine, reveal various "What Went Right" and "What Went Wrong" highlights from throughout the creation of the game.

Along the way, the creators reveal how Final Fantasy XIII's large scope and internal miscommunication presented significant challenges to the team, and how the game's ultimate design arose from its first playable demo.

Btw, finished the game on Tuesday. I really enjoyed it overall. Not sure how much I'll go back and finish as I'm not that into maxing everything out but I've still got alot of side quest I can do (finished 35 during the game).

On a semi-related note, I don't understand why all these games leave you with such low trophy totals at the end, this like the 6th game now that I've completed and had under 50% of the trophies and I'm pretty good about taking my time and collecting/completing as I'm going thru.

Because there are trophies for things like Maxing each role which you can't do till after the game. Completing so many hunts, having seen so many of the items. having all ultimate weapons and taking down the enhanced form of the giants in the plains. Blah blah blah...

Yea I know, it's just that finishing a game you'd think would get you at least 50%. As I said, I have around 6 games I've completed that are under 50% so it's not just FF Xii.

Ummm... I have never played JRPG before, or should I say never really played an RPG either just dabbled around a bit. SO, I was really intrigued by all these JRPGs , but never could understand what they were about and why they have these "Battle Systems". Then I watched this review:

and for the first time someone explained what FFXIII is about and why people find the gameplay or battles fun.

Now, I am very interested :) and want to try it out.

What I need to know is that having never played a JRPG before, I don't want to get overwhelmed. What is the simplest of them all to start with? Should I start with FFXIII ? I heard they simplified it a lot for new audiences, or is there a simpler one out there to get to grips with the genre?

Convert an action/adventure gamer to an RPG guy :cool: !

JRPG ? The definition is probably murky ? (I don't know).

You may want to try Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls !

Throwing him to the wolves, huh? :devilish:

13 is a good place to start, I think. Demon Souls doesn't fit into the typical "JRPG" classification at all, IMO. Lost Odyssey might also be a good starting point, and is a bit more of a classic JRPG to me (for better or worse), with a story that I really enjoyed (if you have a 360).

In lieu of TGS, FFXIII-2 info is starting to trickle in:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/03/ffxiii_2_jump/

The latest issue of Jump reveals the true nature of Final Fantasy XIII-2 main character Noel. According to the magazine, Noel is actually a traveler from the future. He's the last surviving human in a future world that was on the brink of doom.

These details come from Tales Source, one of our regular sources for early Jump leaks.

The magazine also provides an introduction to Lightning, who's revealed to remain a knight, protecting the temple of the goddess Etro in Valhalla, or the "invisible world." Screenshots apparently show her riding her FFXIII summon, Odin.

Famitsu teased an update on FFXIII-2 for its next issue ...

I don't think there's anything "murky" about the term JRPG. I think when you look at something like Final Fantasy, it's pretty clear that it's something that can't be made by none other than a Japanese staff. And if you are looking for a "JRPG", Final Fantasy is a good as a place as any to start.

I grew to hate Demon Souls in the end, but may pick this one up.

I don't have a problem with difficult games, but Demon Souls was so frustrating at times that I'd be swearing out loud while playing. I did finish it eventually with the help of Gamefaq. To be fair, I never played it online.

The only thing that may put me of FFXIII is the length----did he say 50 hours to complete the main quest?

JRPG ? The definition is probably murky ? (I don't know).

I have tried the demo of Valkyria Chronicles. its a strategy game, right? I will get bored of it sooner or later !

As for Demons Souls, I have played the first level or so, but I don't think its an entry point game, its punishing and rewards only the ones who are determined to pursue.

Throwing him to the wolves, huh? :devilish:

13 is a good place to start, I think. Demon Souls doesn't fit into the typical "JRPG" classification at all, IMO. Lost Odyssey might also be a good starting point, and is a bit more of a classic JRPG to me (for better or worse), with a story that I really enjoyed (if you have a 360).

I don't have a 360, just the ps3 and PC. I am just looking for something not overly overwhelming and simple so that I can grasp what its all about and see if I can enjoy this genre.

Yea 40-50 for main is quite accurate.

Whoa !!!!! I don't have that kindof time, Dude !!! But I sure wanna check out the beautiful world ! Tell me , does the majority of the game take place in nature or in urban environments ?

I grew to hate Demon Souls in the end, but may pick this one up.

I don't have a problem with difficult games, but Demon Souls was so frustrating at times that I'd be swearing out loud while playing. I did finish it eventually with the help of Gamefaq. To be fair, I never played it online.

The only thing that may put me of FFXIII is the length----did he say 50 hours to complete the main quest?

Hmph, you must have played it straight and fair. ^_^

Back