Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Weeeeee......After 100 hours & 7 minutes, platinum !

imag001e.jpg

Thank you Square for such a beautiful & great game !

Just finished the game -- first Final Fantasy/JRPG I've ever played. Also, the longest game I've ever played. :D Here's my outsider's impression:

>>> Combat: much faster and more fun that I thought it would be. The automatic camera motion rigged to show off the battle from best angle is brilliant. The menu system is pretty slick, and the Autobattle option is a nice addition allowing you to concentrate more on the overall flow of the battle leaving trivial stacking up of the commands up to the machine.

>>> Visuals: Insanely high production values. :oops: So much work went into making each level have its own look and feel. Some of the action sequences can be very disorienting though. The frequent camera angles shifts and poor choices for those camera locations during action-movies makes it hard to figure out what's happening. Which is a shame, because you feel you are looking at something epic going on, but can't figure out what. I did notice similar mental zoom out while watching new Star Wars battles. :???:

>>> Story: Kinda disappointing.
The major struggle in the story was the inner conflict within the characters: they could pursue their focus, destroy the world and gain 'eternal life' [whatever they call it being turned into a crystal]. Alternatively, they could save the world, but be condemned to eternal suffering as Cieth. This choice they face is what keeps you interested to see how the story plays out. In the end however, the game just breaks its own story's rules allowing them to kill the bad guys AND save themselves, all because they wanted it enough?
It just feels cheap and inconsistent. :cry:

So basically, better that I though JRPG would be like, but could have been perfect with a more thought out story.

I have to ask what's the point in releasing in Japan on the X360 after all this time? Especially with the small numbers the X360 does in Japan.

I have to ask what's the point in releasing in Japan on the X360 after all this time? Especially with the small numbers the X360 does in Japan.

same reason they release platinum hits. just cause its a year later doesnt mean it wont sell. plus think logically the game has already been made all the assets are already created just need to rearrange them and author the disc whats that cost probably like $100,000 maybe less. the game will only need to sell a couple thousand to break even and it will easily do so. its essentially free money.

its surprising just how much of a false sense of reality that sony propaganda has constructed of the xbox's performance in japan. sure its not great but its not dead either and niche titles still sell quite well. the hardcore japanese gamers have been gravitating towards the 360 and still support it.

so lately i've been thinking about this game and always wondered why the game wasnt very well optimized for the 360 specifically disc utilization. Xbox discs have a max capacity of 6.8GB but the following install sizes were: 5.9, 5.8, 6.6

maybe this had to do with leaving enough space for separate audio track which the international version is supposed to get and not sloppy video encoding.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/elgefe02/photobucket sez no more than 2500/9c6af9fe.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions for me? I'm stuck in the Eidolon battle in Ch 8, I get 2/3 the way thru it and then it does a headshot to Sazh and it's gameover. I've been thru the guide and all the online stuff but nothing makes a difference, it always ends the same way. I don't mind grinding but after 40+ tries with all possible combos and the exact same outcome I'm ready to just give up.

Buff yourself up manually & try to use as much magic as possible (ravager).....I was able to finish the battle in 2-3 minutes without dying even once, was the easiest eidolon fight for me considering how fast the gestalt meter fills when you attack using Ravager.

Heh the eidolon battle were some of the toughest for me mainly because libra seemed to stop working on them at some point so I wasn't sure what I needed to do.

Yeah, I think I use the dual Ravager setup as much as possible. When in doubt, I always check YouTube first, then monkey see, monkey do.

I am such a fricken idiot, I wasn't pressing the square button at the end. Doh!!!!! Nice waste of a few hours plus the overflow on my fustration meter.

Anyhow, moving on to ch 9.

Well after 40-50 tries at Cid Raines I've finally officially given up. I don't mind challenging and difficult bosses but I'm just too old for stupid hard. On top of that, the fucker cheats which I just won't stand for. Too bad as up to that it was a wonderful game and I was really looking forward to Grand Pulse. On to the pile of never to finish games you go Final Fantasy Xiii. See Ya!!!!

Yes and yes, and I've seen all the youtube vids where they beat him quickly. I guess it's the cheats that have gotten to me. Specifically:

Stagger, I quickly run him up to 999.9% and then it just stops. Worse is that when he comes out he steals all my power, refills his HP meter full, and kills me before I can even get off another attack, game over. After 7 times like this I can only conclude that 999.9% stagger is insta-death.....for me.

Summons, using summons in stagger instantly takes Cid out of stagger. It doesn't matter if it's at the beginning or after I've run it up to 999.9%. Coming out of summons is almost always of course insta-death......for me.

Guard, ok maybe not a cheat but imo he shouldn't be able to switch to this in stagger.

Sleep poison, maybe not a cheat but when combined with the cheats above, the fact that I can't finish him off but he can render me helpless and then proceed to butt rape my entire team and get a game over feels like a cheat.

As to strategy, I've tried several and they all lead to the same outcomes as above.

Anyhow, maybe it's not stupid hard but if he can cheat it feels that way. It's not like the wheel of death in LBP where I could see what I needed to do but just couldn't time it right or even my own issues with the Eidolon in chp 8 where I was missing [] button press to finish him off properly, it's the game cheating to deny me my victory and I'm just not going to take it any more.

Wait a minute, that doesn't sound like the Cid I fought. I think I took him down after 3-5 tries. I remember I was also frustrated by it. There should be a quick way to dispose of him but I have completely forgotten how I did it. :(

Yes and yes, and I've seen all the youtube vids where they beat him quickly. I guess it's the cheats that have gotten to me. Specifically:

Stagger, I quickly run him up to 999.9% and then it just stops. Worse is that when he comes out he steals all my power, refills his HP meter full, and kills me before I can even get off another attack, game over. After 7 times like this I can only conclude that 999.9% stagger is insta-death.....for me.

Summons, using summons in stagger instantly takes Cid out of stagger. It doesn't matter if it's at the beginning or after I've run it up to 999.9%. Coming out of summons is almost always of course insta-death......for me.

Guard, ok maybe not a cheat but imo he shouldn't be able to switch to this in stagger.

Sleep poison, maybe not a cheat but when combined with the cheats above, the fact that I can't finish him off but he can render me helpless and then proceed to butt rape my entire team and get a game over feels like a cheat.

As to strategy, I've tried several and they all lead to the same outcomes as above.

Anyhow, maybe it's not stupid hard but if he can cheat it feels that way. It's not like the wheel of death in LBP where I could see what I needed to do but just couldn't time it right or even my own issues with the Eidolon in chp 8 where I was missing [] button press to finish him off properly, it's the game cheating to deny me my victory and I'm just not going to take it any more.

You just need to chip away at his health, Com Rav Sen is a good strategy and switch to Com Rav Med when health goes down. You can win pretty much any battle using this strategy.

He switches to Guard when he loses a certain amount of health regardless of whether he is staggered or not. If all else fails just Med Med Sen for a few turns and heal everyone up. Then switch to Rav Sab Sen then to Com Rav Sen to finish him off.

If you don't want your chain gauge to reset but still want to use your summon then just avoid going into Gestalt mode & let teh Eidolon run out of time so that he/she leaves without resetting the gauge but at the same time restoring your party & removing your de-buffs.

For this fight play as Fang & pick Light/Hope (covers all classes) for the fight and keep in mind that its ALWAYS necessary to have a Med-Med-Sen paradigm.
If you have the slow ability (Saboteur) then spam it as he's susceptible to it. Also if both Light & Fang have the "launch" ability (commando) then simply keep juggling him & he'll be down in no time, the thing to note here is that his chain gauge should be considerably high like 999% so you do considerable amount of damage & gain even more additional damage by juggling him..

Back