Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

I should have the X360 version in the mail today, so I'll do a quick side-by-side and see what differences I can find.

Further to what i said earlier, im playing this upscaled 1080P. Ive just had a quick look at 720P and what is noticable is just how good this upscales! The dithering on hair etc etc is reduced drastically. The 1080P image is fabulous, and the only side effect of the upscale tech employed is the image has a very very soft appearance, but i think its a plus point given the lesser dithering. Anyone else playing in 1080P and have noticed this?

Went by Best Buy today to finally pick up a PS3 since FF13 is out and God of War 3 is coming out next week and they were out of stock. I was amazed. The dude told me that none of the best buy's in the dallas area have been able to keep PS3s in stock since November. I ended up picking up the 360 version of the game instead and now I see all this stuff about how the 360 port isn't so hot.

Has anyone heard anything about the audio quality on the 360 vs the PS3? I watched the EuroGamer comparison and the video I can deal with, but if the audio quality is below average I am just going to take the 360 version back and wait until I can find a PS3.

"Has anyone heard anything about the audio quality on the 360 vs the PS3? I watched the EuroGamer comparison and the video I can deal with, but if the audio quality is below average I am just going to take the 360 version back and wait until I can find a PS3"

I`m pretty sure it will of taken a hit in that dept aswell. The quality on PS3 is really top trumps, esecially on a good system.

Played it for 6 hours and while visuals are top notch,i dont really have a feeling that I am playing RPG.For now its all fight---->run---->custscene :cry:

Yea,sound also wont disappoint,beautiful sound and music in general ;)

Is it just me or does everything but the voice work sound muted? On my setup sound effects and music sound really low/flat and the voice acting is about average. If I put up the volume so the sound effects and music is at a decent level then the voice overs are really loud...... anyone else experience this?

*edit*

Anybody? This is really driving me crazy. I tested out other games like Uncharted 2 and Devil May Cry 4 a DTS and Dolby game respectively to see if it was my system and they sound fine. Granted I'm only about 30 minutes into the game (FF13) but the imbalance of the audio is really turning me off.....It's very unnerving watching a cinematic of what's supposed to be a war and the characters voices totally drowns out the gunfire and explosions around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great to me. I also really like it so far (just got the first summon). Feels very FFX-ish to me (and I think IGN's 10/10 for graphics is perfectly understandable too. That is one drop dead gorgeous game indeed. The crystalized lake was absolutely jaw-dropping)

Is it just me or does everything but the voice work sound muted? On my setup sound effects and music sound really low/flat and the voice acting is about average. If I put up the volume so the sound effects and music is at a decent level then the voice overs are really loud...... anyone else experience this?

*edit*

Anybody? This is really driving me crazy. I tested out other games like Uncharted 2 and Devil May Cry 4 a DTS and Dolby game respectively to see if it was my system and they sound fine. Granted I'm only about 30 minutes into the game (FF13) but the imbalance of the audio is really turning me off.....It's very unnerving watching a cinematic of what's supposed to be a war and the characters voices totally drowns out the gunfire and explosions around them.

I played for about 30 minutes. The volume level seems (much) lower than other games. Had to crank it up quite a few notches. It sounds ok after that, but I think not as great as some of the best PS3 titles. I'll (or rather, someone else :p will) need to do a comparison later.

Played it for 6 hours and while visuals are top notch,i dont really have a feeling that I am playing RPG.For now its all fight---->run---->custscene :cry:

Yea,sound also wont disappoint,beautiful sound and music in general ;)

Thats why I think any FF after part 6 is horrible and not an RPG.

I can't stan FMV fests

Went by Best Buy today to finally pick up a PS3 since FF13 is out and God of War 3 is coming out next week and they were out of stock. I was amazed. The dude told me that none of the best buy's in the dallas area have been able to keep PS3s in stock since November.

OT: Sony released a statement this week that there are shortages on prodcution for a couple of months. Very tough time for this to be happening

I'm about 4 hours into the game and the Lake Bresha level has me realizing the merits of all the praises on its graphics. It is truly a splendid showcase of beautiful art and tech, Square knows color alright. I must have missed a ton of graphical effects from all the screenshots and videos compared to the final game, that lovely godray/sun shaft effect is lovely indeed.
The combat is really growing after the first hour and I'd imagine things would get much more intense at this point. Yep, I'm addicted already good'ld FF never fails.

The audio IS imbalanced. This on a 5.1 system. Dialogue is often lost in the mix when a character is behind you. It's rather criminal that there are no audio settings to change.

Sounds great to me. I also really like it so far (just got the first summon). Feels very FFX-ish to me (and I think IGN's 10/10 for graphics is perfectly understandable too. That is one drop dead gorgeous game indeed. The crystalized lake was absolutely jaw-dropping)

That's just great, another 40 quid i'll have to spend on a game! :devilish:

Thats why I think any FF after part 6 is horrible and not an RPG.

I can't stan FMV fests

I played FF8 all the way until I was standing outside the last boss's castle. It is as RPG-like as any other RPG in those days and before.

FFXIII is different because it has a linear story in the first part. Frankly, other than the sound, it is still very Final Fantasy like. The characters are very "Japanese", the graphics are intricated, and you have the familiar summons, potions, Pheonix Downs and what not.

Went by Best Buy today to finally pick up a PS3 since FF13 is out and God of War 3 is coming out next week and they were out of stock. I was amazed. The dude told me that none of the best buy's in the dallas area have been able to keep PS3s in stock since November. I ended up picking up the 360 version of the game instead and now I see all this stuff about how the 360 port isn't so hot.

Has anyone heard anything about the audio quality on the 360 vs the PS3? I watched the EuroGamer comparison and the video I can deal with, but if the audio quality is below average I am just going to take the 360 version back and wait until I can find a PS3.

Dell has a promotion for $269 PS3 Slim here:
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2010/03/09/120gb-ps3-is-269-from-dell-ships-in-1-2-weeks/
Supposed to ship in a week or two.

Sony may release a new PS3 SKU later this year.

The audio IS imbalanced. This on a 5.1 system. Dialogue is often lost in the mix when a character is behind you. It's rather criminal that there are no audio settings to change.

This is another gripe that I have. During game play voices sound far away and the sound effects drown them out. During cut scenes dialogue is noticeably louder than everything else.

I'm about three hours in now and I'm getting used to it now, but it was really irritating in the beginning.

Once scene that stands out is
when you're playing as snow in the beginning with our other two companions. There's a cut scene where the muscular guy is shooting rounds at the enemy and a plane is crashing in the background but you can hardly hear it because his voice over is so loud.

Other than that, I'm loving the graphics and the combat system.

I was wondering about the surprisingly toned down sound too.
I have a pretty good 5.1 surround system, and the rears were very quiet, and the sound overall strangely muted, so I thought I had only stereo and some sound compressing setting on in my AV.

I was expecting more of an aural bombast, maybe games such as Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 have just spoiled my ears.

I only heard about the sound problem since they released the US version. Is the JP version have a similar problem? Is this problem only on one console or both console?

Back