Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

It's not really a problem, when I turned up the volume it sounds fine, just not so big-action-blocbustery as I expected. But it's a rpg, so maybe it's intentional.
The cutscenes look like a high budget movie, so I was expecting explosions and surrond sounds like from some Transformers movie. The 5.1 surround mix and low frequency channels are just not as active as in movies, or some action games.

Yes, I think someone should measure it. I think the sound was toned down by design (I thought they have a lot of audio data ?). It's not a problem per se, but it is noticeable. A tad disappointing for people who want to experience the sound stage on high end equipments. You'll have to remember to tune down your gears after the game.

Other than this, I have no major complain so far. Shudder at one or two of the characters and their dialog. But I won't die from them just yet (or want the characters dead in-game).

btw ff xiii still wont be released for asia region? (xbox)
currently its a ps3 exclisive in asia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than this, I have no major complain so far. Shudder at one or two of the characters and their dialog. But I won't die from them just yet (or want the characters dead in-game).

After tolerating Serah and Edge in Star Ocean IV, nothing can annoy me anymore, lol.

I guess my standards aren't quite as high as other folks' when it comes to audio. Sounds perfectly fine to me. Cut-scenes in particular sound fantastic. The game isn't quite as loud as others, but that was easily fixed with a flick of the volume knob. I'm now roughly 10 hours in, and I really love the fighting system. It really does open up a lot later. I also appreciate how bosses will absolutely destroy you if your strategy sucks.

^_^ It's not that our standard is high, it's that FFXIII is different without any clear reason. Why is it so soft in the first place ? I heard Square-Enix got rid of its in-house music team ? What happened ?

I don't have the game, but it could be because of a larger dynamic range. Most games have very narrow dynamic range, leaving little headroom for loud sounds to be very loud.

I mean all the other PS3 games I played don't have this problem. Are you saying they all have narrow dynamic range, including musical games like SingStar, Rockband; and other AAA games ? Why is FFXIII different ?

[size=-2]They should patch it if it's an issue on their side[/size]

I guess my standards aren't quite as high as other folks' when it comes to audio. Sounds perfectly fine to me. Cut-scenes in particular sound fantastic. The game isn't quite as loud as others, but that was easily fixed with a flick of the volume knob. I'm now roughly 10 hours in, and I really love the fighting system. It really does open up a lot later. I also appreciate how bosses will absolutely destroy you if your strategy sucks.

The issue isn't that the game is generally low, because if that was the case. A simple increase in volume would fix the problem. The issue that I'm experiencing (and others from the posts that I've been reading) is that you will have some sound effects that are really loud and others that are really quiet.

Another example that I noticed is that during game play your footsteps are really loud. As if every one is wearing stilettos. It's even more noticeable when there are things happening around you like explosions, gunfire, fireworks, all sounds that should be very loud...competing with your characters footsteps.

And as someone else also pointed out. If you're running around with the other members of your group, they're usually saying something while you travel from point to point following behind you. If they're about 5-10 feet away from you, you can hear them very clearly. Once they get about 13 feet away they sound really far and you can barely hear them......it gets even worse if they're behind you and/or off screen.

I'm playing on a PS3 with a 5.1 setup. I have been playing uncharted 2 multi-player like a mad man before this game came out. To come from that game where I used my surround sound setup to pinpoint where my enemies are, to this game where I can hardly tell if someone is in front of me or behind me was really like a slap in the face/ears.

Put the game in, and put the controller down before I even got to the New Game screen to order the sound track. :D Amazon has the import 5-disc limited edition available for a rather high $72 right now, or you can get the regular 4-disc set straight from Square for $30 + shipping. I'm guessing you can pick it up elsewhere, but I haven't really looked. The 5th disc, for those wondering, is not music.

I mean all the other PS3 games I played don't have this problem. Are you saying they all have narrow dynamic range, including musical games like SingStar, Rockband; and other AAA games ? Why is FFXIII different ?

[size=-2]They should patch it if it's an issue on their side[/size]

Yes, most games, even AAA titles, have pretty narrow dynamic range. Music games probably have the narrowest dynamic range, given pop music these days.

If I recall correctly, Uncharted 2 has selectable audio dynamic range, and if you have that game, you can play with that setting to get a feel for what dynamic range does to perceived loudness. The narrower the dynamic range selected, the louder the audio seems as more of the audio mix is shoved closer to full scale.

Somehow my orders of FF XIII, Cross Edge and White Knight Chronicles all shipped today, within an hour. When they arrive all on the same day, I'll probably curl up in front of my TV, thumb in mouth, unable to decide, until I fall asleep.

Yes, most games, even AAA titles, have pretty narrow dynamic range. Music games probably have the narrowest dynamic range, given pop music these days.

If I recall correctly, Uncharted 2 has selectable audio dynamic range, and if you have that game, you can play with that setting to get a feel for what dynamic range does to perceived loudness. The narrower the dynamic range selected, the louder the audio seems as more of the audio mix is shoved closer to full scale.

Cool ! I'll try that later today. Thanks for the scientific answer.

I just got out of Cocoon. So far so good.

Got today the Limited Collectors Edition and love what I saw and played so far. The visuals are simply amazing and so is the soundtrack

Chapter 4 now and it's very....Avataresque in appearence! It's really a delicious looking game! Some of the special fx are outstanding, especially the god rays! I can't believe how good the image looks in 1080p. Sitting up near the top of the tree in my eyes. Really be interested in seeing the 360 version after playing though the PS3 version.

Each his own. Edge is pretty much the only mag I care about for actual review numbers. The rest like to work on a 7-10 scale coupled with guaranteed bonuses for franchise history and fan hype.

Edge aren't just harsh reviewers, which by itself woudln't be a problem. They are biased reviewers:

God of War 3: 94 average, Edge 80 (-14)
Heavy Rain: 87 average, Edge 70 (-17)
Uncharted 2: 96 average, Edge 90 (-6)
Uncharted Drake's fortune: 88 average, Edge 80 (-8)
Killzone 2: 91 Average, Edge 70 (-21)
Ratchet ACIT: 87 Average, Edge 70 (-17)
Ratchet TOD: 89 Average, Edge 80 (-9)
Resistance 2: 87 Average, Edge 60 (-27)
Resistance FOM: 86 Average, Edge 70 (-16)
MGS4: 94 Average, Edge 80 (-14)
GT5P: 80 average, Edge 70 (-10)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: 83 average, Edge 70 (-13)
Motorstorm PR: 82 Average, Edge 70

Average: 14.3 points lower than Metacritic

And to prove they are not just harsh reviewers:

Halo ODST: 83 Average, Edge 90 (+7)
Halo 3: 94 Average, Edge 100 (+6)
Forza 3: 92 Average, Edge 90 (-2)
Forza 2: 90 Average, Edge 90 (0)
Fable 2: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
Gears of War 2: 93 Average, Edge 90 (-3)
PGR3: 88 Average, Edge 90 (+2)
PGR4: 85 Average, Edge 90 (+5)
Ace Combat 6: 80 Average, Edge 80 (0)
Crackdown: 83 Average, Edge 80 (-3)
L4D: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
L4D2: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
Ninja Gaiden 2: 81 Average, Edge 80(-1)

Average: 1.1 point higher than Metacritic

I rest my case, it's crystal clear what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been trying out the 360 version, my mate only has 360 and i agreed to go twos with him on the game so am stuck with this version.

I cant offer a comparisson as i havent played the PS3 version but i can say the 360 version doesnt warrant the same level of praise that is being given to the PS3 verion on here. I can only guess the difference must be significant, to the point im considering paying another £50 for a game i already own.

Back