Fight Night PS3 Screens

I would guess over the next year, yes.

Between the larger install base MS has and the expensive/slow launch from Sony, it would appear for many 3rd parties that the move to make the 360 the lead platform and codevelop on the PS3 would make most financial sense. This won't be the universal case, but from a money position it makes a lot of sense. Of course some games, like Madden, have 2 dev teams co-developing independantly.

If Sony can show the ability to significantly reduce cost enough to attract mainstream consumers to the value of their product (should see some big movement when 65nm Cell and RSX are completed in 2007 and EE+GS is removed), get over their supply issues, release AAA flagship games, and demonstrate they will catch and surpass MS in the near future this could change. But if you are starting a game TODAY, and with a 24 month dev cycle looking at Fall 2008, which do you choose?

Hard decision. Sony will do all the above things, it is just a matter of when. On the conservative side you have to look at MS: 13M-15M consoles by mid 2007 (more by the end of 2007, maybe 20M and who knows how many in 2008, 25-30M doesn't seem too far fetched), big franchises coming (like Halo, Fable, Forza, and their new IPs), a large and strong back library, and significant cost reductions to make the platform more appealing it would seem the 360 would be the short term safe bet.

Which is self fulfilling prophecy. If you can make more money on Platform A in the short term, you push that first. The result is then that platform gets more steam. And looking at MS's attach rate it seems publishers should be pretty happy thus far.

The 360 always ran the risk, while very small, of coming out like the DC (too early, not enough support, not powerful enough, not enough unique compelling content to drive early sales, bad reputation). 5 years with the PS2 seems to have been long enough to get gamers itching for something new, MS got EA and the other publishers on board, has produced hardware some developers prefer (especially on the PC side), and has slowling made inroads in unique content. It seems MS made the right gambles and I think publisher support will continue at a steady pace.

While Sony may catch MS in 2008 and pass by MS in 2009, the 360 isn't gonna flop and is a pretty safe bet while we wait and see how fast Sony gets everything under control. They may do that within 6 months, ala MS in 2005/2006 (launches are rough), but if you are making a game NOW for 2008 and will be releasing on the PS3 and Xbox 360 I think there are enough valid points to target the 360 as your primary platform. At worse it will be within shouting distance in sales of the PS3. At best the 360 will still be the market leader.

Who said that the pixelated crowds weren't going to be in the final build. Hold on, I'm going to root through the posts. I know I was having an argument about it with someone.

Why is this still being discussed as though it's an issue? We've already got 3D crowds in the PS3 version of FN3. There's one picture where the crowd is a diabolical 2D mess, and some people seem to think that's indicative of the final game, ignoring all the other pictures.

As SMM suggested, it's likely an LOD issue. You can see a 3D spectator arm on the left of the ring in that messy screenshot. And regardless of the cause of the 2D sprite pic, common sense should be telling people 2D sprites that look that bad aren't going to kept in a game, at least not deliberately where it isn't a bug. 2D sprites is one thing, but you can count the texels on these sprites! They're low-res for a PS1 game!

Owned. Using your head should be a consideration when you post. Arguing that EA is releasing non-final code screenshots and videos when FN3 is one week from release is a little nonsensical eh?

Victory dance. :D :D

Oh and slowdown too! Nice! Though the boxers do look amazing, and the lighting is way better than X360.

Oh and slowdown too! Nice! Though the boxers do look amazing, and the lighting is way better than X360.

Which is why people need to be wary when looking at a screenshot and saying "wow, this game looks great!" A pretty scene is useless if it's not smooth, as PC gamers will let you know.

Is there any reason for the 2D pixelated crowds? Would that indicate an dev issue, gpu issue, or other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I'm pretty sure it's the Cell's fault. The Cell in the PS3 can't do geometry instancing like the 360 can.

No, but it does have only 1 general purpose core compared to the 3 on the 360. I guess they just couldn't figure out how offload enough to the SPE's...

No, but it does have only 1 general purpose core compared to the 3 on the 360. I guess they just couldn't figure out how offload enough to the SPE's...

Sorry for the very noob questions, but are you saying the single general purpose core in the Cell was not able to generate the needed vertices for the crowds?

Sorry for the very noob questions, but are you saying the single general purpose core in the Cell was not able to generate the needed vertices for the crowds?

I'm just guessing that was the problem, even on 360 they obviously were very CPU limited, they couldn't even have staggered animations for the crowd, and had to instance the same 4 models 30 times.

btw, Mckmass is being sarcastic.

I'm just guessing that was the problem, even on 360 they obviously were very CPU limited, they couldn't even have staggered animations for the crowd, and had to instance the same 4 models 30 times.

oh ic, thanks for the reply and clarification on what Mckmass was saying :devilish:

Personally I believe it was just a matter of laziness on both consoles

Personally I believe it was just a matter of laziness on both consoles

I think EA did themselves a horrible disservice to the PS3 owners by releasing the game now. They could have easily sold the game at the end of January or the beginning of Feburary like they did the Xbox 360 to make the slowdowns go away.

I'm going to still buy it tomorrow and see how bad it really is.

I think EA did themselves a horrible disservice to the PS3 owners by releasing the game now. They could have easily sold the game at the end of January or the beginning of Feburary like they did the Xbox 360 to make the slowdowns go away.

The slowdown could be a big problem, I mean this game is slow enough as it is.

The crowds I wouldn't worry about, you don't notice them when you're fighting, and if you're in a real tough fight, the crowd could not even be there for all it matters, in other words, it won't affect how much fun this game is. It's one of the funnest nextgen games hands down, especially on Hard.

The crowds are the worst when you're in your corner, and you have time to look into the background, that's when it really ruins the immersion, and spoils an otherwise very realistic looking game.

A couple of you mentioned AA, but how can you compare it between the consoleswhen all you have is PR shots out there?

The lighting difference definately shows how much art matters, especially for people. The sweat is just a normal map (which "overrides" the skin normal with a mask) with higher specularity. The better realism is largely due to colour choice in the skin.

I guess I might still buy it seeing as they did add a new mode in there and the graphics is better, but I'm really not a fan of poor ports, so I'm skipping both THPS and COD3.

Hey guys I'm pretty sure it's the Cell's fault. The Cell in the PS3 can't do geometry instancing like the 360 can.

You must be teasing. No, RSX can do geometry instancing (SM3.0 feature). As for why the pixelated crowd... who knows? I bet dev time.

On the one hand a non-3D crowd could be an overhead issue. So lets just assume for a moment that at this point in time with their dev cycle they could not squeeze in a complete 3D crowd. Ok, so a 2D one gets tossed in. But a EXTREMELY low res 2D one? Unless it was a last minute issue and they also could not free up enough VRAM... doesn't seem likely.

So I would guess dev time issues + old placeholder that was intended to be fixed and they just plain ran out of time.

So I would guess dev time issues + old placeholder that was intended to be fixed and they just plain ran out of time.

Yes, and that's my problem with EA and this PS3 game. Why not just push it back one month to get rid of the slow down and bad crowd? A dev team like Insomniac seems to understand polish. To bad most of EA's dev teams don't. :cry:

Back