Fight Night PS3 Screens

Of course. We knew there is a problem with the scaling, so PS3 can only do 4D crowds, but that just doesn't scale well to 3D crowds so it goes all the way down to 2D crowds.
A firmware should fix that.

:LOL: You forgot about the ICT flag that will be turned on around 2010 and make the crowd, 2D or 4D, disappear.

:LOL: You forgot about the ICT flag that will be turned on around 2010 and make the crowd, 2D or 4D, disappear.

No, the ICT flag is on now keeping you from seeing the real capabilities of the PS3.

For a limited time, purchase the BRAVIA True HD 1080P TV along with the Sony True HD HDMI 1080P Hi-Fi cable and recieve the full Sony experience with TRU Next-Gen Now (tm) 1080P Lossless DTS Blu-Ray 4x Better than your Real Life (tm) 4-D crowds.

"The crappy 2d crowds are just to make our customers feel like losers for having smaller TV's than ours. Oh and our schlongs are bigger too." - EA FN3 dev

Of course. We knew there is a problem with the scaling, so PS3 can only do 4D crowds, but that just doesn't scale well to 3D crowds so it goes all the way down to 2D crowds.

I heard that the 1.3 firmware adds a 5th dimension regardless of whether or not physics deems it impossible. This is just a rumour. I shouldn't say any more.

They should have projected the 4d crowds onto 3d crowd space and they would be fine then :p

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this because the other thread was locked, but given that we're already talking about it:

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/p-6.html

It's not just the crowds. The lighting on the crowds (which should be better on precomputed sprites), the banners, the ring floor, and the freaking ropes!!! For the ring floor it looks like they disabled AF for the PS3, and I don't know what in God's name would be a reason for using inferior ropes. It's hard to tell if the models are as much better as suggested by shots earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Looking closer at the crop, it seems like the motion blur uses fewer samples in the PS3 version (2 steps vs. 6). Along edges, the stepping pattern suggests no AA, and only a blur instead. These guys definately did a lazy port. Possibly polished artwork to make the fighters look a bit better, but everthing else is worse by a mile.

I don't think we can say the PS3 is in trouble, but it seems unlikely now that Xenos is worse than RSX. I actually thought it would be the other way around in the early going because NV40/G71 have been around a lot longer than Xenos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure, but it looks like Project 8 has 2x AA on X360 and no AA on PS3. Could be something funky with the scaling, but on the closeup shots, the PS3 def has noticeably more jaggies.

I heard that the 1.3 firmware adds a 5th dimension regardless of whether or not physics deems it impossible. This is just a rumour. I shouldn't say any more.

Phew. I was hoping the next gen hadn't started yet while we wait for Sony. Fortunately it now starts when they update their firmware now ;)

I'm not sure, but it looks like Project 8 has 2x AA on X360 and no AA on PS3. Could be something funky with the scaling, but on the closeup shots, the PS3 def has noticeably more jaggies.
Some edges look like AA, but elsewhere you see a step pattern that could only happen without AA, so I'm gonna bet on the latter. Also, let's keep this thread on topic and not mention the other games in the article.

(Not that this superdimensional rendering talk is particular on topic, but at least it's slightly entertaining...)

Picked it up today, looks pretty sweet, the animations are still quite funny-looking, still, using Ali to knock out De La Hoya is always fun, get in the ring mode pwnz-wownz. Damn those ringside girls are sexy.
Indifferent2.gif

Picked it up today, looks pretty sweet, the animations are still quite funny-looking, still, using Ali to knock out De La Hoya is always fun, get in the ring mode pwnz-wownz. Damn those ringside girls are sexy.
Indifferent2.gif

For a good challenge, take manny pacquiao vs muhammid ali. Now that's a mismatch!!

Can it really be a poor port? I mean it was shown running on the PS3 well before the 360 version and released nearly a year later. If anything the 360 got the port. EA in particular has publicly stated that they have more development resources dedicated to the PS3 than any other platform.

I just don't buy the laziness and/or limited time arguments. Seems more likely that the architecture and the available development tools make PS3 development slower and more challenging than the competing platforms at the present time. That will continually improve as Sony and the individual studios build out their development pipelines.

Check this out guys:

Xbox 360 beats PS3 at the Apollo

As a result of H3TV's split screen cyber technology, the overflow crowd was able to witness the two rival gaming consoles being played on the same 1080p monitor at the same time. Utilizing EA Sports' "Fight Night" on both consoles, H3TV was able to give the enthusiastic audience was given a clear view of the head-to-head imagery and graphics of the competing systems.

http://www.xboxusersgroup.com/content/view/3342/139/

whoa....

As a result of H3TV's split screen cyber technology, the overflow crowd was able to witness the two rival gaming consoles being played on the same 1080p monitor at the same time. Utilizing EA Sports' "Fight Night" on both consoles, H3TV was able to give the enthusiastic audience was given a clear view of the head-to-head imagery and graphics of the competing systems.

"Xbox is flat-out better both visually and mechanically," said H3's chief communications officer and world class gamer, Adrian "Hollywood" Walton. "When 'Fight Night' is played at its highest level with the highest possible resolution, everyone was able to see Xbox 360's superiority to PS3 as clear as can be on H3TV."

Dipset and H3 superstar Juelz Santana was just as emphatic in his breakdown of the "Fight Night" face-off: "H3TV completely exposed that PS3's High Definition picture doesn't come close to Xbox, at least for "Fight Night."

Everyone that had the opportunity to compete on both consoles scored Xbox higher right across the board."
I wonder if the 360 will have the advantage in IQ (textures and lighting) as it may appear from these early results and PS3 may eventually have an advantage in physics and animation?

Well, with hyperbole like "they don't even look close" you obviously can't take that report seriously.

If there's a difference, it's very small.

Well, with hyperbole like "they don't even look close" you obviously can't take that report seriously.

If there's a difference, it's very small.

probably. but when placed head to head on the same screen, I guess they would know better than you or I. Unless it's some kind of PR set up to make the 360 look better?

I don't know this groups affiliation, if they have any at all.

Probably a more event assessment

The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too.

We're going to give the PS3 the benefit of the doubt in this initial round since developers might need more time to figure out how to maximize performance from the Cell and the RSX. If you look at the Xbox 360's first Madden game, Madden 06, you'll notice that it doesn't offer very realistic stadium shadows, either. The trouble with buying a console at launch is that you often have to wait for the second or third generation of games for the system to fulfill its potential. The PS3 didn't beat the 360 in this first comparison, but the games do look fine for first-generation titles. The real graphics battle will likely come next year.

It might happen next year, but honestly I'm looking to 2008 for the PS3 to really come into it's own.

Most of PS3's big games will likely be delayed, just like the 360's were in their first year. I doubt the situation with the cross platform games will change much at all, maybe the edge will shift over to the PS3, but we'll still be talking about minute differences.

It might happen next year, but honestly I'm looking to 2008 for the PS3 to really come into it's own.

Most of PS3's big games will likely be delayed, just like the 360's were in their first year. I doubt the situation with the cross platform games will change much at all, maybe the edge will shift over to the PS3, but we'll still be talking about minute differences.

Yeah, I agree with that judgment call.

Back