Feb NPD! The 2nd best thing to crack.

360 getting it's image blown about the HD-DVD vs. BR-DVD is really an overstatement, considering the normal consumer really doesn't care all to much, nor even pays attention to this stuff.

Hell, I didn't even KNOW the HD-DVD attachment for the 360 came out already. I doubt anyone cares about HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray for that matter) when they think about buying a 360.

I stopped reading at some point but, some comments are terrible to the point to need to be deleted...

Come on even Sony execs except the ps3 to catch up with the 360 in Europe by summer (if the 360 price drop has no effect)...

This is pure trolling I can believe this happens here even if I see all that through my "ignore list filter"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, there is? I didn't realise there was formal tracking for the entire PAL market. If you could link to it it would save us all a lot of time. Thanks.

And as for sales ratios and whatnot... do you honestly believe game publishers look at the tie-ratio as more significant than the number sold? You use COD4 as an example. COD4 on 360 has been number one for four months in a row! Do you really think IW are looking at this,then saying "oh, but the tie ratio is bigger on PS3, so that's where we should focus our future efforts!"

Not to mention the only games that seem to be selling reasonably well, based on NPD data on PS3 are those that are on 360 already. It's good that those multi-platform games are selling well, but there still is a huge lack of incentive for any exclusive to be launched on PS3, when releasing on 360 will quite simply be more profitable.

That data was posted on here months ago, so you may want to look it up. No need to get upset...also Reeves recently mentioned that PS3 has overtaken 360 in Europe, and that he expected the same to occur in the UK this summer.

I'm not sure what the rest of your is on about. I replied to Tap In with regard to sale ratio's for multiplatform games in the EU as an indicator to how well the PS3 is selling in relation to the 360. I have no idea why you have gone on a tangent.

Definitely shows the 360 slowing, further highlighting the stupidity of MS's pricing.
Can you explain how it shows it is slowing? I couldn't see that from that graph - it looked to me as though the sales line is trendinging similarly as it has done (other than holiday periods).

I can't believe there is not more talk about Rock Band. In the top 10 again going over 1 million LTD at a 169 freaking dollars.

Great sales for the PS3 compared to last year. Great news for MS that they can be with in 50 dollars of sony pro vs 40 gig and still compete. MS should have a lot more flexibility in pricing till fall or later. If PS3 sales stay 250-300k I don't see any reason for sony to cut the price and go back to losing money on each unit. Best news of all is 2 healthy HD consoles finally.

It still amazes me nintendo can not ship enough Wiis 15 or so months after launch. It is getting to the point were it has to be them doing it artificially. It does not take 15 months to ramp up production of 7 year old technology. They should be able to ship at least 600k a month to NA by now.

Yes, and that says nothing about 360 sales slowing or not.
The YTD sales were my "evidence" - YTD the 360 looks to be doing the worst compared to both the Wii and PS3. Of course, I have no hard evidence that a price drop of x would amount to a sales increase of y (eg, a $100USD would make YTD sales 2x their actual number) but the fact is the 360 is the only one that isn't gaining a lot of momentum. It has the games, it has the game sales, and it has a huge online user base.

The only significant thing that I can see would get more people buying the 360 than those that have already jumped in is a big price drop.... purely speculation of course, but that's what all of this talk is, at the end of the day!

Realistically though, after sitting for two and a half years at roughly the same price ($50 isn't too much of a drop!), don't you think more people would say "now's the time to pick one up" if the price dropped?

Thats the point isn't it.

Slowing sales on a particular system would means that they are trending lower than they have previously in the lifetime - that graph, as far as I can tell, does not show that. NPD data, specific to the US, doesn't show that - in fact, it shows the opposite.

That graph (and the NPD data) indicates that PS3 has increased sales (relative to where it was previously) but not that 360 sales are slowing.

http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2008/03/14/sony-cites-blu-ray-for-strong-ps3-sales/

Here, Sony credits Blu-ray as the reason for the increase in sale. This is probably true to a certain extent (IMHO, more because HD DVD surrendered and the HDM future is cleared up).

At $30, Blu-ray movie price is still too high. We didn't get any promo until last week with Amazon's 53% discount.

It would be more interesting when both Blu-ray movies + PS3 drop in price over time (of course, combined with hit PS3 games on the shelves)

The YTD sales were my "evidence" - YTD the 360 looks to be doing the worst compared to both the Wii and PS3.

Yet it's not slowing - the 360's line is steeper in 2008 than it was at the same months in 2007 and 2006.

Slowing would be a big problem. But it's not slowing. It's charting toward an 8-million year, in the absence of any price cut.

When I draw the Jan-Feb lines straight out to the right of that graph in Paint, they cross sometime in 2010. The PS3 is on track to take 2 more years to catch up to a console that had a 1 year head start - if the other console takes no action to improve its own sales.

What you're missing or ignoring is that while the PS3 is selling better, the 360 has been beating its own records for 7 months straight, which is minimizing the PS3's gains.

The very graph that you presented shows how the 360 is fending off the PS3. It shows that the worldwide gap between the two consoles was ~6.0 million when the PS3 launched, and is now ~6.5 million today.

Since the PS3's last price cut, your graph shows the PS3 closing the gap by 100k/month worldwide. This totally contradicts your characterization of the current situation. Meanwhile, the other shoe has yet to drop, in terms of retail strategy.

The YTD sales were my "evidence" - YTD the 360 looks to be doing the worst compared to both the Wii and PS3. Of course, I have no hard evidence that a price drop of x would amount to a sales increase of y (eg, a $100USD would make YTD sales 2x their actual number) but the fact is the 360 is the only one that isn't gaining a lot of momentum. It has the games, it has the game sales, and it has a huge online user base.

The only significant thing that I can see would get more people buying the 360 than those that have already jumped in is a big price drop.... purely speculation of course, but that's what all of this talk is, at the end of the day!

Realistically though, after sitting for two and a half years at roughly the same price ($50 isn't too much of a drop!), don't you think more people would say "now's the time to pick one up" if the price dropped?

360 is selling BETTER in NPD's in 2008 so far than 2007. January 07 was 294k, but that was a 5 week month, when adjusted, weekly sales were almost even to Jan 08. Now in Feb 08 it was 250k versus 200k Feb 07.

So overall 360 is selling better this year than last, and that's with some supply issues. The fact PS3 is doing a LOT better doesn't change that 360 is also INCREASING sales.

Of course I agree they need a price cut etc. I dont know if they're waiting a month or two for GTA, or waiting until Fall.

I'm not sure why they would wait just a month or two to bring the Europe drop to USA, though, Unless it was to build stock back up.

360 is selling BETTER in NPD's in 2008 so far than 2007. January 07 was 294k, but that was a 5 week month, when adjusted, weekly sales were almost even to Jan 08. Now in Feb 08 it was 250k versus 200k Feb 07.

So overall 360 is selling better this year than last, and that's with some supply issues. The fact PS3 is doing a LOT better doesn't change that 360 is also INCREASING sales.

Of course I agree they need a price cut etc. I dont know if they're waiting a month or two for GTA, or waiting until Fall.

I'm not sure why they would wait just a month or two to bring the Europe drop to USA, though, Unless it was to build stock back up.

IN fact due to the euro exchange rate Ms take really few hits from the european price cut.
In US I expect a price drop under disguise through a really attractive bunddle when GTA IV comes out.

OK - I can take a hint and can admit my term "slowing" was incorrect.

I guess by slowing my measure was more along the lines of proportional sales increases vs that of the competition. Even then it's not a certainty - the Wii is as popular as ever... only the PS3 has had big growth, but last Feb's sales were pathetic, so that's hardly something to be proud of!

I guess my real point is the 360 selling worse than the PS3 and only slightly better than the same point last year is a bad thing, simply because the game library available now is better in objective terms (Metacritic, genre-comparisons, number of titles, take your pick). Compared to the titles available in early 2007, the 360 should be coasting along, but it's not, and in my mind it's purely due to the need of a price drop.

The very graph that you presented shows how the 360 is fending off the PS3. It shows that the worldwide gap between the two consoles was ~6.0 million when the PS3 launched, and is now ~6.5 million today.

If it was doing good the gap would be around 12 million.

I'm assuming the graph at one point had the 360 at 7 to 7.5 million ahead of the PS3. The YTD for 2007 did have the PS3 outselling the 360.

Back