NPD August 2008

Because only people aged 18+ play games like halo and gears in the US? :LOL:

The fact is that the Wii barely outsold the 360 in December of last year, it's not really much of a stretch to think that a much lower priced 360 will do better this year.

Do you really think nintendo is going to lower the price? Why would they?

I had a colleague that told me her son Played GTA, when i then told her that her son was fucking hookers and killing them afterwards she got a strange look on her face and i think she realized that it may not have been the best idea to give him GTA games.

The reason i think Nintendo could be playing with a price reduction is pure speculation, come Xmas and a little price drop it would yield lots of press and higher sales. And this december the 360 will be fighting a much stronger PS3 as well, so i don´t think it´s as clear cut.

I had a colleague that told me her son Played GTA, when i then told her that her son was fucking hookers and killing them afterwards she got a strange look on her face and i think she realized that it may not have been the best idea to give him GTA games.

Well, that's kind of harsh. You should have said that it was possible to do this in that game. Also, there's very little about the game that makes doing so look like an attractive activity in real life. :LOL: The game also teaches you about developing and maintaining relationships and such, but I'm sure you didn't mention that. ;)

Well, that's kind of harsh. You should have said that it was possible to do this in that game. Also, there's very little about the game that makes doing so look like an attractive activity in real life. :LOL: The game also teaches you about developing and maintaining relationships and such, but I'm sure you didn't mention that. ;)

I think a 12 year old kid focuses on other stuff, like the wildest stuff you can do, i know what i would be doing. I remember how i was :)

I think the success of the previous product is the single most important thing for a success in the next round
The data contradicts you. Having a successful predecessor obviously doesn't hurt, but it has never been a good predictor of future success.

BTW, in all the aforementioned industries, they do in fact care who's buying them. The demographics you care about simply change. Who's buying, or who you want to buy, always affects how you market and develop your products, even when the buyers are governments or large corporations. You might be looking at political affiliation, nationality and economic policy instead of age and gender, but you still care about who's buying. For example, how my last employer pitches its products changes when Democrats control the White House. AFAIK, there's no industry out there that just blindly produces and markets products without considering who's buying.

Sad that such young minds are exposed to this gargage to be quite frank--there are ratings on the game for a reason. Yet no laws are a substitute for quality parenting... like knowing what your kids are doing!

Image is important. If your console has a reputation of being kiddie friendly and delivers on such in adverts, word of mouth, retail displays, major franchises, general library, etc you get a certain reputation. In the past the Nintendo "kiddie" label has hurt them; with the price point at launch + Wiimote + clever marketing they turned that image into "family friendly."

The general problem with consoles is hitting the major demographics. The PS2 did a good job of that and it really helped publishers--EA could release all their titles on the platform and expect financial sucess in general. This isn't true now; what sells on the Wii won't necessarily sell on the PS3. Even more the PS3 positioned itself far, far outside the "family" demographic with their launch point (not to mention internal titles, general marketing, etc). In some ways I wonder if we have reached a point where there will become a fragmentation in consoles on demographic lines. I am sure publishers (like EA, see Wii Madden sales) would prefer this not to be the case, but it would be interesting if you had the "Tech/Gamer" console(s) and the "Casual Platform." And I am sure all of them, to one degree or another, want to be an ubiquitos digital hub for the entire family for all sorts of entertainment and e-activities.

The data contradicts you.

I don't see how it does, and just for making sure, you do realise what is the difference between "the most important thing" and "the only important thing". I didn't say the latter, yet you sound like I did.

Ostepop and Dobwal also said some smart things about the situation, which do make more sense to me than what you are saying, but I quess we are all entitled to interpret the data as we feel like.

Now that the 360 costs LESS and their children want to play GTA and Halo and Gears and not Mariokart, they're going to buy them the 360.

How old are these "children"? Kids ask for what they want, parents will buy it if they approve. I would never buy a 360 for my kids to play GTA or Gears, I hope others won't either. If you are talking about 15 year olds, then they probably have a 360 already, have you been on Live? ;)

How old are these "children"? Kids ask for what they want, parents will buy it if they approve. I would never buy a 360 for my kids to play GTA or Gears, I hope others won't either. If you are talking about 15 year olds, then they probably have a 360 already, have you been on Live? ;)

This is purely anecdotal, but from a store owner I know, one of the advantages the Wii has is that with it, kids can con their parents into believing that they're not JUST sitting in front of the television, and instead are moving around.

This is purely anecdotal, but from a store owner I know, one of the advantages the Wii has is that with it, kids can con their parents into believing that they're not JUST sitting in front of the television, and instead are moving around.

Then MS should bundle every 360 with DDR :LOL:

Doesn't change the point, plenty of people under the age of 18 are playing these games and that will likely continue to happen. Despite the protestations of the moral minority.

Wasn't this because of the Wii's supply issues?

The 360 was mostly sold out as well. MS has traditionally done very well in Nov. and December with the xbox and the 360.

The 360 was mostly sold out as well. MS has traditionally done very well in Nov. and December with the xbox and the 360.

True, but it's tricky to make predictions on the holiday season, if this is true. All we really know is that the 360 and the Wii will no doubt do very well.

As LY said.. let's wait and see for the holiday sales figures, but I don't think it'll even be close when you combine the PS3 and 360 sales, and I expect the 360 to outsell the Wii on its own.
Have you checked last FY forecasts from either of the big 3 ?
Would your prediction be correct, Nintendo would have something like 10 M unsold consoles in the pipe and/or Microsoft/Sony would probably have to produce +2x what they forecasted ...

If we add the fact that there is absolutely not the singlest sight of a change in the trends in the public perception, i think we can safely say that we are in the "wishful" thinking !

Sorry to seem harsh, but as usual, the predicators here predict doom and gloom for Nintendo and glory to Microsoft and Sony. Being false since more than 2 years did not teached you caution?

There are plenty of games on the 360 that bridge the gap between Mario and GTA4 . Even with the shooters there are some that don't really have much blood and the action is very cartoony. Look at Halo 3, I know many parents who think that is fine but would never buy a gears of war for their kid. Its all about prospective. Besides there are a ton of arcade games and then the vivia pinata's , banjos , kamoes and liscensed games on the 360.

If we add the fact that there is absolutely not the singlest sight of a change in the trends in the public perception, i think we can safely say that we are in the "wishful" thinking !

Well another poster has said that there is a wii bundle with wii play inluded for the normal wii price. Over here I see wiis more often in retail on shelves that even 3 months ago. I'm not sure if that will show you a major trend , but i do think that the wii juggernut is slowing. If its enough to matter is another thing though because I do see thsoe units sell after a couple of days.

Well another poster has said that there is a wii bundle with wii play inluded for the normal wii price. Over here I see wiis more often in retail on shelves that even 3 months ago. I'm not sure if that will show you a major trend , but i do think that the wii juggernut is slowing. If its enough to matter is another thing though because I do see thsoe units sell after a couple of days.

If you're seeing more units on the shelves it could be because they're putting more units in the store. Looking at NPD, Nintendo does not seem to be slowing down at all.

Why do you think the Wii is slowing? It's posted lower sales from last month, but there's also speculation that this is because Nintendo is stockpiling consoles for the holiday season. Japan might be a different story, as they haven't really grown much in that market, though their numbers are still very good (and certainly far beyond the competing consoles).

Why do you think the Wii is slowing? It's posted lower sales from last month, but there's also speculation that this is because Nintendo is stockpiling consoles for the holiday season. Japan might be a different story, as they haven't really grown much in that market, though their numbers are still very good (and certainly far beyond the competing consoles).

I'm able to find the consoles much easier than before. I think they still sell all they can make and ship . I just don't think they sell as soon as the store gets them anymore. Which to me shows demand softing .

I'm able to find the consoles much easier than before. I think they still sell all they can make and ship . I just don't think they sell as soon as the store gets them anymore. Which to me shows demand softing .

I think you are missing half of the equation.

_______ and demand.

It has sold less, and is still easier to find. I don't think he's missing anything. It used to be rare to see them on shelves, I could have picked one up from 3 different stores today.

I still think its selling well, and will continue to sell well, but the stampede to get them seems to be mostly over for now.

Back