Feb NPD! The 2nd best thing to crack.

Thanks for the insight guys, especially as I am not available as much. If they are producing 1.8M units a month that would put them in a solid position to begin stockpiling and (gasp) preperation for any potential price drops down the road. But based on the US and Japanese numbers it seems they should have substantial overstock floating around.

Reggie Fila-Aime said in a recent GT interview that they're producing 1.8 million a month, more than any console in history (or similar hyperbole). US is selling 500k a month. Japan is selling ~250k a month. That means the EU is accounting for 1.1 million Wii's a month sales? I don't think so. So I don't know what the real issue here is. Things ain't adding up from what I can see. I don't think Wii can be being held back by production though. I think current sales are current demand levelled out to what the market wants at the moment without any extraneous forces in operation. Same with PS3. XB360 is in theory selling under demand due to limited availability.

What about asia and the pacific region? They must sell this thing in China, India and all of the pacific islands? You don't ever hear much about those regions.

Thanks for the insight guys, especially as I am not available as much. If they are producing 1.8M units a month that would put them in a solid position to begin stockpiling and (gasp) preperation for any potential price drops down the road. But based on the US and Japanese numbers it seems they should have substantial overstock floating around.

According to Nintendo's own projections (from Dec. 31st 2007 / Q3; released on Jan. 24 2008), they will have sold about 18.5 million units in the fiscal year ending on March 31st 2008. Thus, 1.8 million would be close to their average monthly sales. The gap between their actual sales numbers (NPD, MC, etc. accumulated) and their production volume would indicate the gap is temporal, i.e. they are only stockpiling in order to satisfy demand during the periods of high sales.

What about asia and the pacific region? They must sell this thing in China, India and all of the pacific islands? You don't ever hear much about those regions.

Lots of regions you never hear about. Europe, NA and Japan account for about 1/5th of the worlds population, although they most certainly account for a much higher portion of the wealth. I don't think I've ever heard a number for south america, I have to think there's some people there that can afford a console.

There's talk that Mexico was approaching $1billion dollar a year gaming industry which really wouldn't put it that far behind Canada, but we get no solid numbers there either.

Lots of regions you never hear about. Europe, NA and Japan account for about 1/5th of the worlds population, although they most certainly account for a much higher portion of the wealth. I don't think I've ever heard a number for south america, I have to think there's some people there that can afford a console.

There's talk that Mexico was approaching $1billion dollar a year gaming industry which really wouldn't put it that far behind Canada, but we get no solid numbers there either.

Yeah. I think it's possible the Wii could be selling 1.8 million a month world wide if you include all these regions we don't generally hear about without having to sell 1.1 million units in the EU.

Whenever other little-heard-of countries do have figures announced, they are always irrelevant. We're talking a few thousand in Brazil and India and the like. I'm pretty sure these countries get no coverage because they account for next to no amount of sales. I dunno about China but in the past they haven't got the same hardware the rest of the world has. Nintendo have targeted them before with China specific consoles IIRC (woohoo for my brain!) . Then again this Gamasutra report suggests otherwise -
Other market segments faired well in 2006 and show promise for 2007 and beyond, particularly PC offline games and console hardware. Legitimate sales of PC offline games rose 28.5% to 904,000 units from 700,000 in 2005, led by titles from Taiwan. Console sales, currently prohibited in China, remained active in the grey market, demonstrating that hard-core Chinese gamers are devoted to buying the latest products for gaming even though they cannot buy them through legal channels.
Looks like the People's Governement thinks the People shouldn't be indulging foreign nations in entertainments, not when there's a home-grown Vii to be bought!

So really, rest of world counts for squat!

As for Wii production, they've been producing 1.8 Million a month only since November. As Fils-Aime said they've no intention to increase demand at present, that seems to be the currently selling rate I think. A look online finds it reported in stock in UK Play and Amazon sites, and I've seen it in stores. Certainly in the UK it seems demand has reached equilibrium with supply.

Whenever other little-heard-of countries do have figures announced, they are always irrelevant. We're talking a few thousand in Brazil and India and the like. I'm pretty sure these countries get no coverage because they account for next to no amount of sales. I dunno about China but in the past they haven't got the same hardware the rest of the world has. Nintendo have targeted them before with China specific consoles IIRC (woohoo for my brain!) . Then again this Gamasutra report suggests otherwise -
Looks like the People's Governement thinks the People shouldn't be indulging foreign nations in entertainments, not when there's a home-grown Vii to be bought!

So really, rest of world counts for squat!

As for Wii production, they've been producing 1.8 Million a month only since November. As Fils-Aime said they've no intention to increase demand at present, that seems to be the currently selling rate I think. A look online finds it reported in stock in UK Play and Amazon sites, and I've seen it in stores. Certainly in the UK it seems demand has reached equilibrium with supply.

Well a few thousand in brazil and india and the other 50 countries we never hear about could certainly add up to be more than a small amount. Canadian Numbers aren't really talked about either (sometimes they get lumped in with US) but they are actually higher than most European Countries, in fact I think only the UK (in Europe) moves more consoles.

Well a few thousand in brazil and india and the other 50 countries we never hear about.
Again, chances are the reason they're not mentioned is because they aren't there. 50 countries x 3000 each is 150,00 units. Whoop-de-doo! That's really gonna swing this sales-race! Lots of these countries aren't officially supplied and consoles are bought as grey imports.

Again, chances are the reason they're not mentioned is because they aren't there. 50 countries x 3000 each is 150,00 units. Whoop-de-doo! That's really gonna swing this sales-race! Lots of these countries aren't officially supplied and consoles are bought as grey imports.

So we shouldn't talk about europe's numbers either? Aside from the UK france and germany, its really just a collection of very small numbers.

Ummm, right. Great thinking. Let's break down the US into individual states and ignore half of them as well.

What you call a collection of very small numbers like Spain includes 400k PS3s, 360k Wii's and 260k XB360s. These are way, way more than the few thousand that the Rest Of The World countries amount to. Here's an example with Brazil, one of the larger Other World nations -

Cervantes said 500,000 to 600,000 video game consoles are sold annually in Brazil, but they are brought there by third party vendors, not manufacturers. Analysts say there is a user base in Brazil for about 11 million game machines.
“We’ll be the first major manufacturer to sell a game console in Brazil’s market directly. We believe consumers will respond well to that,” said Cervantes, adding that Brazil ranked 15 in the world in console sales.
So there's a sizeable market, but it's covered in sales in the other territories, basically grey imports from NA. Those sales are counted in the NA figures, not the Rest Of World figures. And Brazil's a sizeable market as evidenced by MS wanting to target it. They haven't spoken of a big push for the West African Coastal Nations...

That's why the industry, the analysts, and the console companies, don't make a big deal of the rest of the world. They don't target it, they don't expect to get much out of it. There's no reason to think there's a million or more unrecorded consoles out there in the murky, unreported world of 'Rest of the World'. Or in this case, a 'rest of the world' gobbling up 500k consoles a month of Wii production.

Reggie Fila-Aime said in a recent GT interview that they're producing 1.8 million a month, more than any console in history (or similar hyperbole). US is selling 500k a month. Japan is selling ~250k a month. That means the EU is accounting for 1.1 million Wii's a month sales? I don't think so. So I don't know what the real issue here is. Things ain't adding up from what I can see.
I don't think EU is accounting for 1.1 million, they are in preparation for Smash Brothers and Wii Fit launches in EU & US most likely.

Ummm, right. Great thinking. Let's break down the US into individual states and ignore half of them as well.

What you call a collection of very small numbers like Spain includes 400k PS3s, 360k Wii's and 260k XB360s. These are way, way more than the few thousand that the Rest Of The World countries amount to. Here's an example with Brazil, one of the larger Other World nations -

So there's a sizeable market, but it's covered in sales in the other territories, basically grey imports from NA. Those sales are counted in the NA figures, not the Rest Of World figures. And Brazil's a sizeable market as evidenced by MS wanting to target it. They haven't spoken of a big push for the West African Coastal Nations...

That's why the industry, the analysts, and the console companies, don't make a big deal of the rest of the world. They don't target it, they don't expect to get much out of it. There's no reason to think there's a million or more unrecorded consoles out there in the murky, unreported world of 'Rest of the World'. Or in this case, a 'rest of the world' gobbling up 500k consoles a month of Wii production.

I don't know what the breakdown is, or if MS achieved these goals.

Microsoft hopes to sell 10 million Xbox 360s globally in 2006, about 10 percent of which will come from Latin America, said Cervantes. He did not say how many sales were expected in Brazil.

Or maybe Brazil isn't the largest part of those numbers, but that article was from 2006 and a million units certainly isn't insignificant.

On Ebay, a new 360 can be had for 10% below retail. Every single store in my area has plenty of 360s. Looked through first two pages of Froogle search for xbox 360,every store has a console in stock. Those are some interesting shortages... Could anyone point me to a single individual who wanted to buy a 360 in the last two months in the continental US and was prevented from doing so by the supply situation?

On Ebay, a new 360 can be had for 10% below retail. Every single store in my area has plenty of 360s. Looked through first two pages of Froogle search for xbox 360,every store has a console in stock. Those are some interesting shortages... Could anyone point me to a single individual who wanted to buy a 360 in the last two months in the continental US and was prevented from doing so by the supply situation?

Honestly this has been discussed to death. There has been consistent stock and it is consistently selling out. Yes there have been observed shortages, checking now does nothing. You can question the impact of the shortages or the reason behind them, but it has never really been in doubt except by certain individuals.

But what about Taiwan, Korea and all the other Pacific countries? Surely those places move reasonable amounts of consoles, at least when their sales are combined. Or Australia and New Zealand. I'm sure if you add up all the non-traditionally discussed places, it must amount to something.

I don't know if it would really swap the so called sales-race, but might explain the 1.8 million units per month for the Wii without having to sell so many in the EU to explain the number.

Which is the same with XB360. The arcade has an HDD size of 0 GB, the premium adds 20 GB, the elite adds 100 GB on top of that and HDMI.

With PS3, the 40GB (ignoring the 20 GB and 60GB models) has no BC and no card slots and less USB ports, and the 80GB has BC and 40GB more etc. So the differences in PS3 are more extreme than in XB360. There's no way PS3 can be one SKU to XB360's 3. PS3 has had 4 SKU's internationally. And that's excluding colour variations in both systems which are all SKU's too, though people don't use the term SKU properly, and instead use it as a shorthand for Functional Hardware Configuration.
Well as I see it he probably wasnt using that perspective of SKU's. I think he was mostly referring to the basic functions/features:

i.e
The card slots were almost useless by the majority of consumers. Inclusion or not of those does not affect game/media experience (only the extremely very few) or decisions related to game development.

HDD size also does not change anything as long as it is adequate in size. The appearance of consoles that have a HDD and those that do not does affect though as in the case of 360.

The biggest and most noticeable difference between the PS3 versions that is directly related with game experience is the BC. Everything else includes the same basic features.

Honestly this has been discussed to death. There has been consistent stock and it is consistently selling out. Yes there have been observed shortages, checking now does nothing. You can question the impact of the shortages or the reason behind them, but it has never really been in doubt except by certain individuals.

I was not aware that this topic was closed for discussion. I am sorry, I am genuinely curios since I have genuinely not seen anything even remotely close to shortages. Have they effected some parts of the country worse then others? Should I also infer that the "shortages" are now over?

I was not aware that this topic was closed for discussion. I am sorry, I am genuinely curios since I have genuinely not seen anything even remotely close to shortages. Have they effected some parts of the country worse then others? Should I also infer that the "shortages" are now over?

You can discuss it all you want, but its pretty much been covered, you might want to check last months NPD thread. Or if you really want to read a lot of discussion on it check last months thread at neogaf.

Most places are now reporting full stock, although my local walmarts still have only had arcade models when I checked.

also regarding the shortage it was January, the first 2-3 weeks of February and it was for the Xbox360 (aka PRO, biggest seller by far). the Arcade was not in shortage to any great degree AFAICT

Back