Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

There's a convenience in having them in one box, which is Grall's point. And as your console needs a high capacity optical drive for game distribution, it makes sense to include BRD playback. That can be handled as a SKU or an upgrade or included, but there's no denying the space advantage of a single device versus two. Worst case, is you can't really fit two devices and want both movie playback and a console, and one console offers all in one and the other doesn't, that makes the purchasing decision.

Software has enabled a bunch of silicon chips to do all sorts of stuff very conveniently, so we don't needs separate synthesisers, movie editing machines, word-processors, etc. like we used to have. That's why computers have been so successful!! :D

There's a convenience in having them in one box, which is Grall's point. And as your console needs a high capacity optical drive for game distribution, it makes sense to include BRD playback. That can be handled as a SKU or an upgrade or included, but there's no denying the space advantage of a single device versus two. Worst case, is you can't really fit two devices and want both movie playback and a console, and one console offers all in one and the other doesn't, that makes the purchasing decision.

Software has enabled a bunch of silicon chips to do all sorts of stuff very conveniently, so we don't needs separate synthesisers, movie editing machines, word-processors, etc. like we used to have. That's why computers have been so successful!! :D

I think (unlike the Wii) the prospect of software playback with license included is possible here. Wii didn't have optical audio so it couldn't have a DVD playback license even if it wanted to. With HDMI and PCM available I think the prospect becomes higher of a software company pulling a PowerDVD/TMT app.

it's just so weird... they always pull shit like this, and yet are always first to be pirated. they just make no sense. i dont really care if it has blueray playback, but it's juat another hassle to have to change inputs, since i use a monitor instead of a tv. which is the real reason my wii hasn't been plugged in in a year. maybe it's smart of them tho. i wont be buying a wuu regardless, until i see some game i really want.

Blu Ray players are affordable now , quite a different situation than back in 2006.

Blu Ray playback for a console is probably no longer a factor either way.

And as was established in another thread, the PS3 is still one of the best players out there. So, if the Wii U can become a Blu-Ray player for $20 via a App download it has every chance of being just as good as the PS3, if not better.

Useless personal anecdote, i would buy a Wii U earlier in it's life span if it had a Blu-Ray player, i simply need one in my living room :)

I'm wondering what exactly will be included with a Wuu when you buy it. Console, power supply and one wuupad - that's a given. Sensor bar as well I believe, since it's visible in the official promo material. But if there's a sensor bar, will there then be a wiimote also? And if so, a nunchuck?

Suddenly we're up to three controllers for a system whose forefather's gimmick was the simplified control system afforded by gestures... :LOL:

(Other misc. included hardware may include wuupad charging dock, and charging cable.)
I listed this in the press conference thread:

Given the underwhelming hardware i think they'll ask for 300 in America. I wonder what 350 would've allowed them to put inside?

Probably what comes in the box:
Wii Remote
Nunchuck
Sensor Bar
Upad
Console
Power adapter or Cable (don't remember if PSU is internal)
Composite HD cable
Cradle
USB charging Cable
Nintendo Land
Some NFC cards

It depends on the similarity between devices. Adding movie playback to a console is an obvious bonus considering the console shares all the same components as a disc player. Similarly there's little point in having separate portable music players and mobile phones where they share the same components - may as well combine music playback with the mobile. Where combining devices is a bad idea is where you squidge unrelated devices together at added cost, such as embedding a DVD player in a TV. You pay the DVD player and the TV components but they are dependent on the correct functioning of the other. If the TV dies, the DVD has to be replaced too, and if you want to upgrade the DVD player, you can't pass/sell it on.

As consoles are capable of doing all entertainment tasks, it makes sense to me to include them.
Bearing any weird hardware compromises. If they wanted to avoid licensing costs by not allowing Blu Ray and DVD playback, maybe an alternative could have been launching an app in WiiWare that unlock the feature. Licensing costs is passed to the user that finds the playback feature useful and Nintendo pockets an extra profit.
3DS SHOWCASE

Great games but nothing new :cry:

This is the worst E3 ever (in general) without almost any new game revelation:!:

It is SHAMEFUL:oops::!:
With 2 butchered and poorly handled consecutive E3s that concluded in a decrease of stock price it's time for Nintendo to reconsider it's strategy. Is it worth for them to invest great sums of money in this show or market exposure and investor attention is better addressed by several Nintendo Direct type of shows through out the year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent $150 for a Blu Ray player with a nice remote (also a free iOS app from Panasonic).

Best part is its silent compared to my PS3. Pretty sure the PS3 won't handle DTS MA soundtracks either.

I spent $150 for a Blu Ray player with a nice remote (also a free iOS app from Panasonic).

Best part is its silent compared to my PS3. Pretty sure the PS3 won't handle DTS MA soundtracks either.

The PS3 decodes everything , bitstream is only supported in PS3 slim because of the HDMI limitation in the PS3 fat.

The question for every standalone is, how slow they are, when i thought about getting a stand alone i was surprised that it was still a issue.

From what we know, there is no reason why the Wii U should be slower than the PS3, if it should get BR support.

wco81 said:

The original PS3 will handle all the decodes on board (including DTS MA) and will send multi-channel PCM to your receiver. The slim models can send the original bitstream for all the advanced codecs to your receiver, if you have some emotional need to have your receiver do the decode and turn on its little DTS MA indicator.

Unlike apparently both MS and Sony, Nintendo has no plans to limit or prevent users from selling games they've bought forward
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-message-confusing-nintendo-6383049
What is Nintendo' strategy on used-game sales? Other publishers seem to find it important to combat this with DLC promotions, online passes, etc.

I don't know if we have a formal position on used-game sales. It is a reality in the marketplace. We haven't incorporated any features that will discourage used-game sales at this point. We're not trying to circumvent that

what the system is supposed.l to offer as.far.as.local.storage is concern?
I would.pretty concern with a late.and quick addition to the system for security only.
A hole allowing easy piracy discovered early could.kill the system.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/nintendo-offering-insane-incentives-to-publish-on-wii-u-eshop/

According to this unconfirmed information Nintendo is offering great incentives for publisher to go digitally, this is probably their approach to combat used games.
Well, at least in the Wii era they combated the second hand market quite effectively by bundling games with peripherals. Most of their best selling games except NSMB were bundled: mario kart, wii sports+, wii play, wii fit...

I guess it's harder to sell a peripheral in the second hand market (added costs if shipping, can develop defects over time so it becomes harder to sell, people wish to keep it for future games supporting it), and most buyers probably don't want to buy the used games without the peripheral it's bundled with.

Doubt that. I sold mariokart, along with the wheel (why would you wanna keep that? games play better without it anyway). Sure shipping is a bit more expensive but you can keep that in mind when selling. I doubt anyone bought sports+ or play for just the games as it was just a little extra for a little bit extra money to sell you motion+ or a extra controller. Thats basically the only reason why those games ''sold''. Same goes for wiifit.

So no that really didn't combat second hand sales.

Each platform maker is no doubt working to put many methods in place. Digital downloads,dlc, even the game design itself.
Of course I prefer the Incentives based consumer friendly approach instead of the punishment method that some 3rd parties seem to suggest.

I dont see how you build core 3rd party ecosystem based on current info. All the releases NOT coming to Wii U before next E3 will ensure it. Take2 CEO snub was a huge blow

Publishers have already bought into next Sony/MS consoles. They see current consoles important in the near term and next Sony/MS consoles important in the future. If Wii U is not important now it will ever be in the future..

They see current consoles important in the near term and next Sony/MS consoles important in the future. If Wii U is not important now it will ever be in the future..
They see anything that sells them games as important. If relaunched Game&Watch units with a cart slot were to sell bajillions and be a huge market for games, that's what they'd make games for.

End of story. :)

Some new info:
Sensor bar is only needed for Wiimote,not WiiU Gamepad.
I guess Ninty has abandoned IR aiming as a viable mechanic. Shame I thought it was the way to pursue,needing further refinement.

Back