Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Assuming the rumor is true to begin with. Wich I doubt. I can't believe Nintendo doesn't know the bandwith they need and than goes with a chip that is juuuust bareley giving them enough bandwith. I doubt Nintendo would skimp every penny they could on a chip that is providing the reasons for gamers to buy the console. Is a wifi that expensive to be worth doing that anyway?

Assuming the rumor is true to begin with. Wich I doubt. I can't believe Nintendo doesn't know the bandwith they need and than goes with a chip that is juuuust bareley giving them enough bandwith. I doubt Nintendo would skimp every penny they could on a chip that is providing the reasons for gamers to buy the console. Is a wifi that expensive to be worth doing that anyway?

What is there not to believe? Prototype hardware often is clunky, broken, bad drivers and so on. People just interpret incomplete hw+sw as nintendo being doomed. Let's just wait and see how the final product turns out.

What is there not to believe? Prototype hardware often is clunky, broken, bad drivers and so on. People just interpret incomplete hw+sw as nintendo being doomed. Let's just wait and see how the final product turns out.

Well IF the rumors are true, and lherre on GAF was saying some of the same things (he talked about the wii u dev kit GPU being extremely buggy) it's not a good start for how Nintendo is handling things.

Should all wash over yeah, but still not a good start and not a good reflection on Nintendo.

They are doomed not because if this issue alone...they are doomed because Xbox Next is just around the corner in addition to this problem. They have a very small window to get their sh*t together.

I think those 01 rumors were based on the first dev kits if anything. All the demos we saw at E3 from Nintendo and Ubisoft showed no issues in tethered units. And the Nintendo video shown after their press conference shown them playing the controller wireless. Even one of the IGN guys said they played with one of the controllers in wireless mode at E3.

They are doomed not because if this issue alone...they are doomed because Xbox Next is just around the corner in addition to this problem. They have a very small window to get their sh*t together.

So explain how a console lineage that's been a distant second two gens running now all of a sudden becomes a problem.

So explain how a console lineage that's been a distant second two gens running now all of a sudden becomes a problem.

Same way it's a problem this gen...devs target it and its sony counterpart and not the lesser specced Nintendo console....hence the wii u exists...

also some trends, 360 is first in usa and arguably worldwide for a while, and it's a stretch but could even overtake the fast fading wii for first place for the generation depending how things shake out (considering Wii sales will likely peter off to nothing when Wii U hits, nintendo should make sure of that)

Same way it's a problem this gen...devs target it and its sony counterpart and not the lesser specced Nintendo console....hence the wii u exists...

also some trends, 360 is first in usa and arguably worldwide for a while, and it's a stretch but could even overtake the fast fading wii for first place for the generation depending how things shake out (considering Wii sales will likely peter off to nothing when Wii U hits, nintendo should make sure of that)

But all of that is more of a self-induced problem by Nintendo. Nintendo chose to go an underpowered route that has caught up with them, but even then their sales have fallen back within range of the other two. It could also be debated that current trends for the 360 are due to Kinect sales which could then cause a similar drop like Wii once the non-gamers have their fill. And 360 sales are going to fall off once Xbox3 comes out.

I think any Nintendo concerns will be related more towards (possible) internal issues than external.

But all of that is more of a self-induced problem by Nintendo. Nintendo chose to go an underpowered route that has caught up with them, but even then their sales have fallen back within range of the other two.
What caught up with Nintendo was their decision to stop releasing compelling software and instead focus on self-indulgent wankfests like Metroid: Other M, or sequels to games that the market wasn't really demanding, like Mario Galaxy 2 (by contrast, the sequels to Wii Sports and Wii Fit were hugely popular). It's been what, five years since Nintendo unveiled the Wii? And how many interesting motion-controlled games have they released since then? How many games have they released that took advantage of M+? It's pretty obvious from interviews and the actual software release schedule that the internal developers are simply bored of making Wii games, and management lacks the cajones to make them do their jobs. So instead, they're making a Gamecube HD (which is what the WiiU is really about) so that the developers can make the games they want to make...just like they did during the Gamecube and N64 eras. I expect sales to follow a similar pattern.

WiiU is going to crash because Nintendo burned Wii owners. Put yourself in their shoes...in five years, Nintendo has made maybe six games you wanted to play. You're still waiting for them to deliver on the software promise...and instead, they want you to buy an even more expensive piece of hardware? After you've blown hundreds of dollars on hardware for the Wii, but Nintendo didn't follow through with games? People who bought the balance board, the Wii Speak, the M+ attachments, and the nunchucks don't feel like well-served customers who can't wait to get the next Nintendo hardware. They feel like suckers who got tricked into buying all this crap on the promise of games that never came, games that never came because Nintendo got obsessed with remaking N64 games in 3D (another thing the market doesn't want). What about the WiiU would make a Wii owner think that Nintendo is for real this time? The Wii was the greatest head fake in the history of gaming. I doubt a lot of dissatisfied customers will give Nintendo a second chance.

That's not the way to build loyal customers.

WiiU is going to crash because Nintendo burned Wii owners. Put yourself in their shoes...in five years, Nintendo has made maybe six games you wanted to play. You're still waiting for them to deliver on the software promise...and instead, they want you to buy an even more expensive piece of hardware?
I dare say the typical Wii owner is quite content to have 6 games on Wii, and these customers won't be loyal to any particular box, just buying into whatever experience they want from whoever's offering it.

The theory that Wii owners don't want games is disproved by sales numbers. Judging by the fact that declining Wii sales haven't been matched by equally rising Xbox or PS3 sales, I suspect that the customers Nintendo is abandoning are gone for good.

They aren't as stupid as anyone thinks, and they can see how Nintendo sold them on "Imagine all the things you can do with a motion controller!" and then reneged when they realized that not many of these new customers wanted to play 3D Mario games.

Last edited by a moderator:
The theory that Wii owners don't want games is disproved by sales numbers. Judging by the fact that declining Wii sales haven't been matched by equally rising Xbox or PS3 sales, I suspect that the customers Nintendo is abandoning are gone for good.
I don't understand that correlation. Declining Wii sales just means that market has become saturated (and it's still far from saturated, with many millions of Wii's still being sold). It says nothing about the current level of interest Wii owners have in their device, nor whether or not they had expectations of the platform that haven't been met. I know plenty of typical mum's who bought and played Wii for it's novelty and active gaming. These people weren't buying with an eye on the future, but buying into what Wii offered here-and-now. In that respect Wii served it's purpose, much as a board-game might.

They aren't as stupid as anyone thinks, and they can see how Nintendo sold them on "Imagine all the things you can do with a motion controller!" and then reneged when they realized that not many of these new customers wanted to play 3D Mario games.
You need to present me with some decent evidence that Joe Wii-Owner bought Wii on a promise if you're to convince me otherwise. I can accept a lot of existing Ninty fans feeling let-down, but I don't think the majority of Wii owners are anything like that affected. Just as millions of people bought PS2 to play only Singstar and didn't care one jot about other games that were available for the platform, millions have bought Wii to play WiiSports and other party games and don't care to expand the system much with more software. however many millions is anyone's guess, but my gut feeling looking at the Wii demographics places the vast majority of Wii owners as not at all fussed at a lack of new content for their box. They're happy to leave it hardly used under the TV and do other things.

I'd say what 'caught up' with Nintendo was their decision to use cheap, last generation hardware to power the Wii. It aged quickly, it simply didn't have the legs that the PS360 have and are still showing.

Of course, that same decision is what made them oodles of money. Then again, that same decision is what has forced the development and release of the WiiU.

..if they even decide to still release it. The potential issues (all hardware and software and bandwidth problems aside) are huge and strategic: When will the NextBox or PS4 be released? How long will there be a market for their tweener product?

And, to fearesome's point: the lack of games for the Wii hurts the continuation of Wii sales. Why would anybody purchase a Wii once the WiiU is on the market along with the PS3 (& move) and 360 (& kinect)? Only for exclusives, but those aren't very numerous.

Meanwhile, there's still going to be plenty of reason for people to continue to purchase PS360's even when WiiU, NextBox and PS4 are also in the market place.

I'd say what 'caught up' with Nintendo was their decision to use cheap, last generation hardware to power the Wii. It aged quickly, it simply didn't have the legs that the PS360 have and are still showing.
That's another unfair comparison. You can't say PS360 have legs beyond Wii where they are selling slower. It may be that they sell the same amount, or less, just over a longer period. The explanation is then that Wii is no less value than PS360, and buyers don't have any less regard for it, instead it launched cheaper to overcome the price barrier and had higher demand so that it sold through its total appeal faster. There's nothing to say that had Wii had higher specs it'd have done better, as it sold on its novel interface and not specs. If Wii had PS360 specs, it's quite possible core gamers still wouldn't have bought into it if they don't care for the control scheme, and Wii isn't a great fit for FIFA or normal COD and the like.

From a business perspective, being able to sell 90 million units in 5 years is better than being able to sell 90 million over 10 years, because it potentially allows you to release more products and sell them on. If Wuu duplicates Wii's success, Nintendo will have crammed way more profit into the same number of years than MS or Sony could ever have hoped for.

I can't see that anyone can fault Wii. From a business POV it was perfect. It was cheap to make and sold a storm. If it burnt out faster, that's only because it burnt brighter.

Just as millions of people bought PS2 to play only Singstar and didn't care one jot about other games that were available for the platform, millions have bought Wii to play WiiSports and other party games and don't care to expand the system much with more software. however many millions is anyone's guess, but my gut feeling looking at the Wii demographics places the vast majority of Wii owners as not at all fussed at a lack of new content for their box. They're happy to leave it hardly used under the TV and do other things.

I guess that's possible, but doesn't it seem strange that these few games that really took off are basically the only games Nintendo made that fulfilled the system's original premise? If the games Nintendo made that successfully used the system's motion controls, (or, like NSMBWii, hearkened back to NES-type values and play mechanics) were so successful, why were they content to stop making them? I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had made a series of games that sold insane numbers, and continued to sell for years after release, I'd make more games like that, not just assume my customers didn't want any more. The evidence that we have says that Wii games incorporating certain values sold like gangbusters, but now many are willing to assume (without real evidence) that if more games like this were made, they wouldn't sell. Considering so much discussion about gaming revolves around market success, I don't quite get how people are fine with a company very possibly shooting themselves in the foot by not continuing to pursue a product category for which there is proven demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's another unfair comparison. You can't say PS360 have legs beyond Wii where they are selling slower. It may be that they sell the same amount, or less, just over a longer period. The explanation is then that Wii is no less value than PS360, and buyers don't have any less regard for it, instead it launched cheaper to overcome the price barrier and had higher demand so that it sold through its total appeal faster. There's nothing to say that had Wii had higher specs it'd have done better, as it sold on its novel interface and not specs. If Wii had PS360 specs, it's quite possible core gamers still wouldn't have bought into it if they don't care for the control scheme, and Wii isn't a great fit for FIFA or normal COD and the like.

From a business perspective, being able to sell 90 million units in 5 years is better than being able to sell 90 million over 10 years, because it potentially allows you to release more products and sell them on. If Wuu duplicates Wii's success, Nintendo will have crammed way more profit into the same number of years than MS or Sony could ever have hoped for.

I can't see that anyone can fault Wii. From a business POV it was perfect. It was cheap to make and sold a storm. If it burnt out faster, that's only because it burnt brighter.

From a business perspective the Wii was both good and bad. Good in that it made Nintendo a boatload of cash in a short amount of time. Bad in that, let's face it, the system was long in the tooth when it was released and long in the tooth now. It's becoming difficult for Nintendo to compete, and despite what 90 million systems sold means, the fact that 360's sales are increasing means a lot. Those new sales mean new customers to buy more games, so more software growth. And the HD markets is simply too big for Nintendo to continue ignoring and thus we have the WiiU. Unfortunately from all the interviews and rumors it might be twice as power was PS360 but it just feels like a too little too late to me. That doesn't mean I don't think Nintendo won't execute. Unlike fearsomepirate, I think there's tons of Wii owners that want an upgrade whether they be die hard Nintendo fans or just casual.

That's another unfair comparison. You can't say PS360 have legs beyond Wii where they are selling slower.

Combined they arent selling slower. 55m 360's, 52m Ps3's, 87m Wii's or something like that.

It's just that two consoles are fighting over the same space in the PS360 case, whereas the Wii had it's market alone.

I've said a million times people's perceptions would be so much different if there were two waggleboxes splitting that market and only one HD console, yet nothing would have actually changed. Would people be saying the lone HD console was a massive, unbelievable success that crushed all others like they said about the Wii? It seems odd to contemplate, but they should have.

It matters to Sony and MS bottom line that their market is split, of course.

Combined they arent selling slower. 55m 360's, 52m Ps3's, 87m Wii's or something like that.
That's true, and I have highlighted that point before when comparing Wii's numbers.

It's just that two consoles are fighting over the same space in the PS360 case, whereas the Wii had it's market alone.
And by sidestepping that market, Nintendo had a rich pasture free for themselves, whereas Sony and MS were fighting over the same customers as last gen.

I've said a million times people's perceptions would be so much different if there were two waggleboxes splitting that market and only one HD console, yet nothing would have actually changed. Would people be saying the lone HD console was a massive, unbelievable success that crushed all others like they said about the Wii? It seems odd to contemplate, but they should have.

It matters to Sony and MS bottom line that their market is split, of course.
Why not look at it from the perspective of what if Nintendo had launched a conventional HD console for the core gamers? That's effectively the complaint here, that Nintendo's hardware was too rubbish to support the existing core gamer market and so Nintendo have lost out, yet had they gone that route, Nintendo would likely be extremely struggling this gen. Even a PS360 class box with Wii waggle wouldn't be enough as the controller doesn't work with some core game experiences, so I wouldn't expect a WiiHD to be selling even as well as Wii is now, while at the same time being far less profitable.

I guess that's possible, but doesn't it seem strange that these few games that really took off are basically the only games Nintendo made that fulfilled the system's original premise? If the games Nintendo made that successfully used the system's motion controls, (or, like NSMBWii, hearkened back to NES-type values and play mechanics) were so successful, why were they content to stop making them? I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had made a series of games that sold insane numbers, and continued to sell for years after release, I'd make more games like that, not just assume my customers didn't want any more. The evidence that we have says that Wii games incorporating certain values sold like gangbusters, but now many are willing to assume (without real evidence) that if more games like this were made, they wouldn't sell. Considering so much discussion about gaming revolves around market success, I don't quite get how people are fine with a company very possibly shooting themselves in the foot by not continuing to pursue a product category for which there is proven demand.

Probably the same reason why Capcom only relased RE5 this gen and is waiting for next generation to relase RE6.

EA: We love Wii U
http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/10/06/ea-we-love-wii-u/

Peter Moore, the video game industry veteran who was promoted to be Electronic Arts’ chief operating officer in August, told Reuters this week that everything appears to be on track with the Wii U, at least from his perspective working for a publisher making games for it.

“There are no indications that there’s anything that feels like it’s off target,” Moore said. Nintendo’s stock has taken a beating in recent months and its share price is approaching its low for the year.

Moore said he will be visiting Nintendo’s hometown of Kyoto next week to check on how the console is shaping up.

“From our perspective right now, specs are a big deal,” he said, adding that during his trip, he will looking to find out more about the gadget’s graphic and computer processing units, its price and when it might be shipped.

Moore, who has experience launching consoles from his days at Microsoft, says Nintendo was smart to incorporate a tablet into the console with the Wii U.

“No one thinks its going to replace an iPad 2 but it is playing into what a consumer feels comfortable with,” Moore said.

Back