ExtremeTech Article Up

Evildeus said:
Well randell, I didn't do the rules, so don't shoot on the messenger ;) and then why did FM got mad @ B3D if there's no NDA?

Because the screenshots we gave to NVIDIA were from a version that was under NDA to Beta participants only, I sent them to NVIDIA before consulting Futuremark.

As for messengers, i don't think they are neutral, so i don't see why i should stay neutral to them.

Gee, thanks. Why, what have we done?

Evildeus said:
Really :rolleyes: So each time there's a bug on a application we should see this statement no? I haven't see any till now.

Exactly.

And each time there's a bug in a driver, web sites have have never commented on them without getting the "conclusion" from all sources? Each time a "bug" is found, it shouldn't be reported on?

You are trying to have it both ways. That ET shouldn't have some expose because somehow this is "different", but at the same time, this is the "same" as every other situation, so the IHVs shouldn't do anything different.

Pick a side.

I see, and the evidence is that there's a problem, thet FM and NV doesn't know what it is (or they say so), and that the trial has already been conclude by people, ie GUILTY.

I see you don't understand how a trial works.

The PROSECUTION just presented its case. If folks want to pass final judgement based on the prosecution, they are wrong. It's up to nVidia to now make the case for the defense.

And that special process in this case, saying giving confidential information before any futher investigation contrary to the rules of FM.

What "confidential information" was given?

I didn't say they didn't i said they didn't have time to go far. And see above.

Where is the "rule" that says you decide how far into an investigation is "far enough" before the results are made known?
Really, then there's an issue cos FM/ET said they were aware 1 week before and moreover that NO investigation has been made with NV (oh yes "it's probably a bug" is really some investigation) and no investigation has been conclusive at FM right now.

Um, these sites can't FORCE NV TO DO AN INVESTIGATION. All they can do is make them aware of the problem.

By your logic, any IHV can cheat in a driver, it can be "found out" by someone, they can inform the IHV, and the IHV can say "eh, we'll get back to you on that, maybe".

And that's good enough for you right?

And in that specfic case it's a special treatment, normally it would have been investigate in confidentiality,

Says who?

quote]then when the conclusion comes out there would have been an official statement. [/quote]

ET DID MAKE A CONCLUSION. Their conclusion is THEIR OFFICIAL STATEMENT on what they think is going on. ET is not Futuremark. Don't treat them as one in the same.

Yes, but it's the conclusion that is more important, because it's not able to see it on 3Dmark without beeing a Beta member.

A conclusion that was made by ET.

And the only conclusion i see is: ET saying NV is guilty and FM saying, we don't know look at ET. 8)

And what is the problem with that? ET is a journalist site, they are free to come up with whatever conclusionst they want to. Unless FM tells them no, we know for sure that your conlcusion is false, ET is free to publish whatever the hell they want.

I don't recall Kyle even ASKING ID SOFTWARE whether or not ATi was cheating or if it was a driver bug....but I guess that's OK?

Since it's being established in the beta program...

Where do you come up with this stuff? WHAT was established in the beta program? That one can't publish results from drivers that don't do what they are suppossed to do?

using confidential information.

What confidential information? Certainly not confidential to nVidia. THE DRIVERS ARE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

But well it doesn't seems to have been include in your requirements.

Pardon me, but where the hell were you when Kyle was dissing 3DMark03, based on nVidia's accusations, and not even BOTHERED to ask FM about the validity and relevancy of nVidia's claims?

I was not here, so what? And what's the releavance of this? Does that means that what i'm saying is false?

The relevance is the HYPOCRICY of your stance, pending your answer to the question.

Right, because they cannot publish stuff using their developer tool without permission. What's the problem?
Well, if you don't see it, i can't do much for you.

ED, NOBODY "SEES IT" but you. That should tell you something.

Evildeus said:
Perhaps that doesn't concern you, but it does concern me. Well yes the issue is important, and my concern is also important to me. Is it forbidden?

No, just moronic, illogical, and without any basis. :D

You told the truth, thats a no-no on review sites.

I guess we must follow the Golden Rule from the wise Internet Prophet, sweep it under the carpet and follow Jerry Springers wise words:

"But if you can't SEE the cheating, isn't that an optimization?" - Kyle Bennett ([H]ard|OCP)® TM

Evildeus said:
Well randell, I didn't do the rules, so don't shoot on the messenger ;) and then why did FM got mad @ B3D if there's no NDA?

I DIDNT SAY THERE WAS NO NDA.

I said show me where the NDA was broken by ET doing the article.

Show me where nVidia should be is protected by an NDA they ARE NOT PARTY TO!

Stop getting concerned about the messengers methods when the message is more important, and it hasn't been mishandled in making it public. The only rule breaking was when Dave set the pictures to nVidia, so who the hell was stitching nVidia up by breaking the NDA in that manner - NO ONE.

Your not a messanger, your a looping tape deck with no input mechanism behind a freakin brick wall.

DaveB,

Sorry for getting you tired. I appreciate your answer. I understand what you are saying. I see your point, but you don't seem to see mine (ie possible conflict of interest). That's a pity, but well it's not a problem and it won't make me stay awake tonight ;)

Evil

Umm did Kyle change that editorial because for some reason it reads differently now? [No conspiracy theories included in this post]

Evildeus said:
you don't seem to see mine (ie possible conflict of interest

dear god you cant let it go can you, he cant see yours, along with 90% of people in this thread, because your point was proven invalid pages ago!

Evildeus...... You just can't open your mind to the truth here...... You act like nVidia is the second coming...... It's jusy a company....... granted, a company with very bad ethics.... but just a company!

Hey everyone it is OK to disagree... even when you argue your point flawlessly there are some that will disagree and will counterargue with new points or the same old ones.

It is wise (IMHO) to sometimes simply let go of the disagreements and continue onto something else where there may be some productivity instead of headaches caused by these infinite circular arguments.

If ED doesn't agree then great - lets leave it there.

I don't think NV did anything "less wrong or cheesy" so I really can't answer you question. They were getting 3DMark to run as efficienly as possible on their GPU. The horror.
yet another fantastic quote from kyle bennet!
God that thread is awful, Doom.

another example of the lunacy:
See, NOW we are down the basis of what the issue here really is and I think we can fundamentally agree to disagree here. It has nothing to do with so many of the things you suggested earlier.

You see what they are doing as cheating. I see it as making the benchmark run more efficiently insides the bounds of the benchmark.

If a scene looks the same, to you, and me then I say they optimized for the conditions. I understand you do not see it that way. If they were doing this in a game and it did not negatively affect image quality, it would be an optimization I would argue.
NVIDIA is breaking new ground here and I would suggest to them that they take advantage of every way to win the benchmark as long as it did not impact IQ. That is what we ask them to do in games, why can't they apply that same logic to synthetic benchmarks?
oh. my. God. I cannot believe kyle is that stupid.

I have to say that at one time HardOCP was one of my main sources for hardware news and reviews, but I really must question Kyle's judgement here. He actually says "take advantage of every way to win the benchmark as long as it did not impact IQ..." which completely amazes me.

Imagine for a moment the doors this opens. With that reasoning, it would be perfectly allowable for the Nvidia drivers to come with CPUFSB and overclock your machine as soon as it detects a known "Benchmark" being run. Most people's machines can run just fine with the FSB upped about 3mhz, so, according to Kyle's logic, what would be the harm? You'd get maybe a 1% bump in the final benchmark score, and hey, it doesn't impact the IQ and increases the frame rate, so it's an optimization! Right?! :cry:

Or why not take it to the complete extreme? Have the drivers contain one huge compressed file of screenshots from every frame of every 3dmark, flash them on your screen at 200 fps, and boom, you've got a winner! Ahh, optimization at its finest...

Seriously, the most basic rule for these reviews must be that Video Cards see a benchmark as a game! Hell, they must be completely benchmark blind, because what it comes down to is *any* application that you run on a system with the purpose of testing its speed *becomes* by it's very nature a benchmark. Thus, this policy of "Anything goes to win a benchmark" simply cannot stand in the long run.

Best of luck everyone in trying to get nvidia to fix this, or even in getting the other big hardware sites to take notice, and keep up the good work.

better idea
since the 2d driver draws the 3dmark at the end, it's can render a new score !!! it doesnt alter the iq so it's not cheating :)

Back