European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I didn't think Europe and Others was that much higher than US.

The numbers I've got when adding NPD and Media Create up to December (we can't even guestimate Europe yet) are

PS3: 7.13
360: 6.12

So Microsoft said they pulled away from Sony this year? Even accounting for slightly higher sales in Europe, it doesn't seem likely...

What about LTD using your methodology?

Edit: Sorry we don't have Decemeber NPD yet. You can add another 0.5 gain (or more) for the 360 then.

Where are you getting these figures?

AFAIK PS3 is (was) 600k-ish ahead YTD in Japan.

360 is ?? ahead YTD in USA?

So theres no way to get 360=- 1m from adding those two.

Ahh, here we go:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348233

PS3 YTD Media Create=1,041,406
360 YTD Media Create=341,789

So 360=-700k/Media Create

USA NPD YTD

PS3: 2818.8k
360: 3295.2k

360=+476.4k YTD

Media Create+NPD YTD

360=3,636,989
PS3=3,860,206

PS3=+223,217 (pending Dec NPD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you getting these figures?

His numbers were worldwide shipped figures till the end of september+ npd october and november and japanese figures till the end of november. It misses last three months from the others region + npd and japan december.

I personally don't think that shipped and sold to consumer numbers should be mixed in the same calculation though.

I personally don't think that shipped and sold to consumer numbers should be mixed in the same calculation though.

One needs to specify between the two for any kind of comprehensible estimate.

By all rights MS should be pulling ahead this year given their higher sales in Europe and the US during the peak shopping months.

Yeah, the economy crysis (exchange rates) has really hit Sony badly this year. They've been really suffering with the PS3 on every possible front...

France figures for 2008 (source: LSA)

Wii: 1.6m (2007: 1m)
DS: 2.25m
PS3: 708,000
360: 566,000

Software:
1.3m Mario Kart Wii
1m Wii Fit

Top non-Nintendo game (4th place): GTA4 PS3, 392,000

2008: €3bn, 22% increase over 2007.

Heh that DS number is pretty crazy. I imagine the DS worldwide will outsell every handheld console ever made by a very large margin. I just picked up one myself too :)

UK (GfK-ChartTrack):

DS: 3.4m
Wii: 2.9m
360: 1.4m
PS3: 1m
PSP: 0.6m

LTD
DS 8.8m
Wii: 4.9m
PSP: 3.2m
360: 3.2m
PS3: 1.9m

Additionally,
September (GfK-ChartTrack, again):
DS: 7.1m
Wii: 3.6m
PSP: 2.9m
360: 2.3m
PS3: 1.4m

So,
Jan-Sep/Oct-Dec
DS: 1.7m/1.7m
Wii: 1.6m/1.3m
PSP: 0.3m/0.3m
360: 0.5m/0.9m
PS3: 0.5m/0.5m

The latter table fits quite nicely with the latest 360 price cut (19th September).

Current RRPs
DS: £99.99
Wii: £179.99
PSP: £129.99
360: £129.99/£169.99/£229.99
PS3: £299.99

From the UK charts for week 8:

Capcom’s ‘Street Fighter IV’ knocks ‘Wii Fit’ down to No2 in the All Formats Chart, becoming the fastest selling traditional beat ‘em up since the All Formats Chart began back in 1997.

53% of sales were on PS3 and 47% on Xbox 360, making it the biggest selling All Formats No1 of the year so far. February seems to be a good month for Capcom who have now had an All Formats No1 in February for the past 3 years (‘Devil May Cry 4’ in 2008 and ‘Lost Planet’ in 2007) and it can only get better for the cult Japanese publisher who will be celebrating 30 years in May, as they are due to release the highly anticipated ‘Resident Evil 5’ on March 13th.
Week 8, 2009 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) PS3 Street Fighter Iv (Capcom)
02 (__) 360 Street Fighter Iv (Capcom)
03 (01) WII Wii Fit (Nintendo)
04 (__) PC Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War Ii (Thq)
05 (03) WII Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
06 (04) WII Wii Play (Nintendo)
07 (06) NDS Professor Layton And The Curious Village (Nintendo)
08 (__) 360 Race Pro (Atari)
09 (10) WII The House Of The Dead: Overkill (Sega)
10 (__) PS3 Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Sega)
11 (__) 360 Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Sega)
12 (09) 360 Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)
13 (05) WII My Fitness Coach (Ubisoft)
14 (07) 360 F.e.a.r 2: Project Origin (Warner Bros. Interactive)
15 (12) WII Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
16 (23) 360 Grand Theft Auto Iv (Take 2)
17 (11) NDS Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
18 (02) NDS Mystery Case Files: Millionheir (Nintendo)
19 (15) 360 Fifa 09 (Electronic Arts)
20 (08) 360 Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts)

Interesting.

Well the d-pad on the X360 controller is next to useless in a game like SF4, so it's not a surprise that people are not buying the game like crazy.

But a funny/interesting anecdote might be that new multi-platform games could be selling better on the PS3 than the X360. If we just look at these charts and SFIV and the Sega Collection as evidence :rolleyes:

What is interesting now, is which platform gets highest sales numbers for those titles. Especially since both sides claim they got the PAL lead in sold/shipped consoles.

Maybe a disadvantage for the X360 is that XBL probably got more games that compete with the Sega Collection, so that PS3 gets its lead from that.
And SFIV is multi-platform from way back right?

All of this is pure speculation and probably highly incorrect :)

We have to see how the big titles arrive. RE5 is coming up soon, I wonder if we'll see a repeat of the DMC4 situation. Though Japan tends to skew those.

I tought SFIV was a big title, to me its bigger than RE5. Then again I have never played Zelda either. :)
Had an amiga and then dropped gaming entirely until the PS2 arrived, so about a decade where there was very very little gaming being done :)

But a funny/interesting anecdote might be that new multi-platform games could be selling better on the PS3 than the X360. If we just look at these charts and SFIV and the Sega Collection as evidence :rolleyes:

Fear 2 did better on 360 I guess..not knocking your point though.

John Davison on listen up said traffic on his website was 3-1 for the PS3 version on SF4..and that he knew of there was no google anomaly or anything causing it..

What is interesting now, is which platform gets highest sales numbers for those titles. Especially since both sides claim they got the PAL lead in sold/shipped consoles.

Maybe a disadvantage for the X360 is that XBL probably got more games that compete with the Sega Collection, so that PS3 gets its lead from that.
And SFIV is multi-platform from way back right?

All of this is pure speculation and probably highly incorrect :)

Interesting that you say that considering...

Ok, Street Fighter 4 obviously did better on PS3 than 360 (53% to 47%)
And, Sega Mega Drive Ultimate collection did better on PS3 and 360. No number but assuming they are still close since they are 11/12 on the chart

Now can they sustain that in the upcoming months considering...

CoD: WaW, FEAR 2, GTA IV, and FIFA 09 are still in the top 20 for 360 while for PS3?

Although I'm sure the reverse of all this must be true in the rest of Europe since PS3 has a larger install base in Europe.

But hey, good for Sony that they at least got 2 titles in the top 20. ;) Wonder if SF IV and the Sega collection will both chart in the US for PS3?

Regards,
SB

It could be as simple as the PS3 having an older userbase and therefore more interest in classic games and franchises. I also think of the Xbox userbase being made up of more converted PC gamers making them less likely to buy traditional console or arcade franchises. This also explains the PS3's relative weakness in FPS sales.

SF4 has been getting massive advertising here in Australia. Every tram stop and tram I see has it advertised. I think this game will be massive.

It could be as simple as the PS3 having an older userbase and therefore more interest in classic games and franchises. I also think of the Xbox userbase being made up of more converted PC gamers making them less likely to buy traditional console or arcade franchises. This also explains the PS3's relative weakness in FPS sales.

Nothing that suggests this, as FPS games are the most popular genre on both consoles.

Interesting that you say that considering...

Ok, Street Fighter 4 obviously did better on PS3 than 360 (53% to 47%)
And, Sega Mega Drive Ultimate collection did better on PS3 and 360. No number but assuming they are still close since they are 11/12 on the chart

Now can they sustain that in the upcoming months considering...

CoD: WaW, FEAR 2, GTA IV, and FIFA 09 are still in the top 20 for 360 while for PS3?

Although I'm sure the reverse of all this must be true in the rest of Europe since PS3 has a larger install base in Europe.

But hey, good for Sony that they at least got 2 titles in the top 20. ;) Wonder if SF IV and the Sega collection will both chart in the US for PS3?

Regards,
SB

I am just wondering why suddenly multi-platform did better on the PS3? Most likely an anomaly, but still. Also does PS3 maybe do better in the UK than X360 on multi-platform?
Or is this maybe a "tipping point" for PS3?

Still its interesting to follow the numbers for those titles at least, to see what it actually says/means. And of course all new multi-plat titles coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back