Electric Hybrid

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
This is just too cool. I overheard this on tv somewhere and had to look for it. Most people drive less than 20 miles per day and so if you hack your hybrid car so that it can recharge the batteries at night, you basically get 20 miles for "free". Of course this does void your warranty with toyota. Maybe with enough interest from the public they will do something like this.

http://www.evworld.com/electrichybrid.cfm
http://www.gizmag.com/go/3945/
In the case of Energy CS's Electric Hybrid Prius, the engineering teams estimates that the car, if carefully driven, can get between 120-to-180 mpg; while using only 115-150 Whr per mile. The last part, Watt hours per mile, is important. Here's why.

The 9kWh Lithium-ion pack provides enough energy to propel the car at freeway speeds for about 60 miles or so -- a really exciting improvement. At that point, the car returns to normal hybrid operation, running the gasoline engine for most of the time and getting about 50 mpg.

In effect, you didn't burn a little over one gallon of gasoline for the first 60 miles or so. Instead, you consumed something less than 9kWh of electricity. Why less than 9kWh? It's a safety and durability precaution so you won't fully discharge the battery and shorten its life. So, let's say you used 80% of the 9kWh. That's 7.2 kiloWatt hours.

Now comes the fun part. Let's say you live in a city where electricity costs you 10 cents a kilowatt hour. To travel that 60 miles, it cost you 72 cents compared to the current national average price of gasoline at about $2.20/gallon in the US (as of April 2, 2005). In effect, for the same $2.20, you could drive up to 180 miles -- on three successive days, of course -- giving you the equivalent of 180 miles per gallon.

epicstruggle said:
hehe, i guess im the only one psyched about this. :)

epic

Do the same calculation, but for €1,35 for a liter of gasoline. That's what I pay at the moment.

representation3 said:
Would this not worsen the energy problem?
Well it depends on what type of energy factory your using to generate electricity. In michigan we get a nice amount from a nuclear plant, so not only will this not burn fossil fuel in the car, but it will use energy generated from a source that does not release pollution in the air. win, win in my book.

epic

Why would it?

The engines in even the most efficient gasoline powered cars aren't nearly as efficient as large scale power production plants that is oil-fired. Better yet, the energy might come from even better/cheaper (pick your own definitions here) sources, such as hydro, coal, nuclear, etc.

These hybrid cars are excellent in start / stop traffic; breaking charges a turbine which is used to accelerate you next time. So breaking is almost 90% free when it comes to re-establishing your cruising speed. Re-starting a stopped vehicle is often one of the most fuel consuming parts of city driving.

g__day said:
These hybrid cars are excellent in start / stop traffic; breaking charges a turbine which is used to accelerate you next time. So breaking is almost 90% free when it comes to re-establishing your cruising speed. Re-starting a stopped vehicle is often one of the most fuel consuming parts of city driving.
yep, im hoping that ill be buying a hybrid car by the end of the year. If a kit is availabe to upgrade it so i can plug it in at night, ill gladly go for it. I hardly drive more than a few dozen miles a day and so this new tech would mean i wouldnt be burning any gasoline. :)

epic

Hhe tho you might want to turn over your engine at least every 3 months this is cool nonetheless... I wonder if they could adapt those new one minute full recharge batts I saw on the news the other day for hybrids...

ndoogoo said:
All we need now is for some one to invent photoelectric paint so your car charges up while in light.
couldnt you just put those solar cells on your roof? It be really cool to just have it recharge that way.

epic

epicstruggle said:
ndoogoo said:
All we need now is for some one to invent photoelectric paint so your car charges up while in light.
couldnt you just put those solar cells on your roof? It be really cool to just have it recharge that way.

epic

Except for the fact that photoelectric cells take more energy to manufacture than they give up in their entire lifetime....

ERP said:
Except for the fact that photoelectric cells take more energy to manufacture than they give up in their entire lifetime....

That goes for everything if you take the Big Bang and the fomation of the heavier atoms through a stellar explosion into account.

Otherwise, it's nonsense.

ERP said:
Gah. I thought this was just an urban myth, something that was true 20+ years ago and that people keep remembering and repeating like silly parrots despite the fact that it has long since ceased to be the case. The world does progress, you know.

It's some nice logic, but the key words here include "carefully driven" which is way too much to ask of the typical American driver. They're more enamored with raw power and weight, so the typical buyer of a hybrid will still drive it as if it's an ordinary car. So the net gas savings will be way too small to justify the difference in cost.

Now this is as opposed to a place like Japan where the traffic congestion is so severe that the same hybrid cars get nearly double the gas mileage -- you're in stop and go almost all the time.

I don't think you'll get the American public thinking electric of any kind until you see performance numbers like 150 kW (~200 hp) motors, and that's a huge electrical strain when you get right down to it. You think about how many cars there are on the road and you picture each one running on 150 kW for a lifespan of say, 5000 hours (most likely a lot less)... That's a huge amount of power -- that's orders of magnitude more than currently used. And all that's got to come from somewhere.

Of course, I still have to condemn Dubya for the repealing of tax deductions for hybrid vehicle ownership. Not that it was a remotely meaningful deduction, but there was no validity to his "band-aid" argument.

Still, the ICE has a long way to go, and there's enough stagnation in its development that our grandchildren will drive something that shows little technological advances from what we drive today.

epicstruggle said:
Except you'd have to drive off and park it in the sahara desert to fully recharge it overnight! ;)

Anyway, I'm really surprised the Prius doesn't come with a wall socket installed from the factory... I really expected that to be standard equipment.

Maybe they're afraid people won't remember to unplug their car before they drive off and will pull out all the wiring in their house? :LOL:

As much as I love having cleaner cars, one thing you might have to take in to consideration is what kind of effect such use will have on your car's battery. If you're regularly running it on batteries alone, is that going to wear out the battery quicker than if you're using it in hybrid mode. Thus, are you going to be stuck with a car that needs a new 2000 dollar battery (just making that up, I don't know how much they actually cost), after a year in a half which you'll have to pay out of pocket because you voided the warranty? Something to keep in mind if you're thinking of trying this.

Back