Back after a long absence

Sxotty, thanks. Is the cyclist you mentioned Danny Chew? Many of my teammates have ridden or raced with him. I haven't heard anything on his status since the crash. It sounded like it might be an incomplete paralysis or even spinal shock which often resolves in a few months. One can hope.

You are, indeed, statistically safe and I have to admit that, were I to wake up able-bodied tomorrow, I'd be back on the bike as soon as possible. The fact is that control is always an illusion; no matter how safe you try to be there is always something that can get you. Heck, a baby sitter pushing a stroller was hit and killed last week across town from me.

I do believe drivers are becoming less aware. I theorize that the connected world puts us in psychological "bubbles" where we're still thinking about facebook like checks or online political debates even when we're not texting while driving. Something needs to change and that's part of what I've been working on.

Yes it is chew. My impression thus far is he fell on a culvert (unlucky) and it has not gotten better, but I imagine more info will come out by Thanksgiving when people ride the dirty dozen. I think there might actually be some medical breakthroughs in relevant timeframes, but it might be like fusion and always seem close but we never seen to make it.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I am literally up-to-date on spinal cord research daily. Sigh. I talked to a mutual friend and Danny is supposed to go home from the hospital just before Thanksgiving. I haven't heard how is SCI has been classified (AIS score and incomplete vs. complete), but even those can change over the first 12-18 months.

Best of luck to you. It sounds like you're in pretty good spirits, ready to tackle anything despite this setback.

I'd thought about getting into biking but the traffic is crazy around here, even before the issue of distractions -- people look at their phones a lot while driving.

This isn't going to help my arguments with my wife about getting a motorcycle. She STILL won't let me get one because she's pretty sure I'd end up dead within a few days. (In fairness to her, I do tend to drive a bit insane and could go bonkers with a bike. My last experience with a motorcycle was back when I was about 17 and drunk, which didn't really matter since I was tripping on LSD and the booze barely affected me. The rain did though, I went sideways at 90mph and hydroplaned that way for about a half a block before straightening it out and recovering. Went back to my friends house real slow and they were all sort of staring with their jaws hanging open and I said, "Yeah, that's a BLAST! I don't think I should ever ride one again.", because I'm pretty sure I used up all my riding luck on that first run.)

Sorry to hear about your accident Mize. Glad to hear you are coping.

I been running 10+ miles a day and sometimes it just seems like it just a matter of time until someone runs me down while they are texting their spouse about what to get them at starbucks.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I been running 10+ miles a day and sometimes it just seems like it just a matter of time until someone runs me down while they are texting their spouse about what to get them at starbucks.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Honestly, not funny.

Wasn't a joke.

I'm not trying to make light of it, technology has spawned a generation of awful drivers and it scares me daily. However, this is not the forum to continue the discussion.

I am heartened by Mize's attitude and hope that he continues to achieve and succeed.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your ventures work out nad your able to make a difference.

While driving I see people on their phones all the time not paying attention to whats going on. Its a real shame but maybe someone will sue the phone companies next time

I only just noticed this topic. Man, I am sorry. Life can throw you some messed up curve balls.
But at the same time it is good to see it hasn't broken your spirit. Always good to have you with us Mize.

I sure hope we don't allow phone companies to be sued. People have to take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming technology for being too interesting to put down.
Sadly until they force locks when going above certain speeds people wont do that because they are selfish. The only way to get around that is to force the companies to include automatic locks.

Kinda like how seat belts save lives but people still don't want to wear them so we had to pass laws to force people to wear them

Agree with eastmen on this one. Many states have passed laws against texting and driving to no avail. What's needed is automatic phone disabling when speed in excess of 10 mph is detected with a legally binding "I'm not the driver" sign off to enable.

We also need a much lower threshold for negligenct or malicious driving.

Litigation is not how the problem will be solved. Autonomous vehicles and driver assists are the solution.

Litigation is not how the problem will be solved. Autonomous vehicles and driver assists are the solution.

I agree those will solve many issues but that's at least a decade away. Today if you're distracted and hit a cyclist, paralyzing him for life, you'll get off with an improper left turn citation and a $130 fine. If you have no assets to go after them case closed.

Not good enough.

Back