2011 Mustang: First car with 300 hp and 30 mpg.

nintenho

Veteran
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2011-ford-mustang-v6-first-car-to-break-300-hp-and-over-30-mpg.html

2011 Ford Mustang V6 – first car to break 300 hp and over 30 mpg

Ford has announced the official fuel economy numbers for the 2011 Mustang V6, and in doing so, stakes a claim to producing the world’s first car to produce over 300 horsepower while also achieving over 30 miles per gallon (EPA). The 2011 Mustang 3.7-liter V6 with six-speed automatic is officially rated at 305 hp and 31 highway miles per gallon.

When Ford first made the claim that they intended to introduce vehicles that were leaders in fuel economy in every segment moving forward, the world largely dismissed the suggestion as nothing more than typical puffery by executives. Ford then introduced the 2010 Ford Fusion – with the most fuel efficient four and six-cylinder engines, as well as the most fuel efficient hybrid offering in the class. Still, the Fusion was nothing more than a single example – until the 2011 Ford Fiesta numbers were released – and put the small car several miles per gallon above anything currently in the class – with 40 miles per gallon highway on Fiesta SFE.

Then Ford put the world on its heels when it said that the 2011 Mustang V6 would have “expected” 30 miles per gallon – and tonight Ford announced that not only will the V6 Mustang achieve 30 mpg highway when equipped with a six-speed manual, but it will belt out 31 mpg highway when equipped with a new six-speed automatic transmission. Ford’s confirmation of an EPA-rated 31 highway mpg rating to go along with the 305 horsepower rating makes the 2011 Mustang the most fuel efficient car with over 300 hp ever produced.

“The Mustang engineering team aimed high and, through hard work, achieved fuel economy numbers that elevate Mustang into a class by itself,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president, global product development.

Fuel economy figures broken down

Both the manual and automatic Mustang will achieve a rating of 19 city mpg, for a combined rating of 24.5 mpg for the manual and 25 mpg for the automatic. Ford says that it was able to achieve these historic numbers through a combination of external aerodynamic changes to the vehicle, in addition to significant efforts to optimize efficiency within the engine and the rest of the drivetrain.

Ford’s new 3.7-liter V6

For 2011 Ford ditches the long in the tooth 4.0 SOHC V6 in place of a more powerful, and significantly more fuel efficient 3.7-liter Ti-VCT all-aluminum DOHC V6. In simpler terms, the engine features lightweight aluminum as opposed to an iron block for weights savings, twin independent variable camshaft timing to allow for adjustments to the valvetrain in microseconds. Ford also made numerous minor tweaks, such as further polishing internal components of the engine for reduced drag and engine wear, which results in boosted power and fuel economy.

The technology behind the fuel economy

Outside of aerodynamic and engine changes, Ford also deployed its newest technology in power steering – EPAS, or electric power assist steering. EPAS utilizes an electric motor to operate power steering, effectively reducing the constant drag on the engine associated with traditional hydraulic power steering. Ford says EPAS typically provides for a one percent increase in fuel economy, in addition to a scalable steering input dynamic that minimizes the effort requires when maneuvering the vehicle at lower speeds, and normalizes when the vehicle reaches higher speeds to reduce the chance of fast reaction induced oversteer.

Six-speeds for all

Another key aspect to Ford’s bumps in fuel economy can be found in the all-new six-speed transmissions. “Advanced powertrains like our Ti-VCT V-6 and six-speed automatic really speak to the future of Mustang,” says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of global powertrain engineering. “We’ve proven that, using technology, Ford can deliver both power and fuel economy.”

Ford also recently announced a $155 million investment into its Cleveland engine plant in order to produce the V6 that will power the Mustang V6.

All the new stuff would make me a little concerned about reliability and starting price but it's nice to see a company make such a focus on fuel efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's mightily impressive. I had a V6 before that could do 35 - 40 MPG on the highway, but it didn't spool its turbos until 3300 RPM so it wasn't the full force of the engine.

Ford has come a long way in the last few years and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for them. While I personally will never buy a Mustang to those that do want one then this is the way to go. And now the days of those buying the V6 to think it performs like a V8 only to be shunned by car enthusiasts nationwide are over. Ford is really making strides. :)

But depending on how one drives it is fairly easy to get good gas mileage even out of a V8.

Nice, I wonder if my wife would let me buy one now?

But depending on how one drives it is fairly easy to get good gas mileage even out of a V8.
This is standardized testing though ... taking a quick look at the EPA site, they outperform a Mazda MX-5 in highway mileage. As for V8s I don't see anything above 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never been much of a Mustang fan, but if they make a convertible version with 305 bhp and 30 mpg that doesn't handle like a ton of bricks I might be converted...

Yeah, and they're cheap too. The economicalness makes it almost a tempting excuse, and with a standard tranny it would be a fun car...

That is quite impressive. I have never been a fan of Mustangs in terms of actually paying out of my own pocket to own one but this deserves applause.

It'll be interesting to see where the engine winds up. Right now Ford's 3.5L twin turbo is sporting 300 BHP and getting close to 30 mpg in lighter vehicles, but not quite. If this one is naturally aspirated with that kind of power/economy it'll be a great cross-platform engine.

"World's first"? Surely they are joking...
I mean, there are quite some cars with >300bhp that have a _combined_ MPG of >30... (As a quick example the BMW 740d comes to mind)

Edit: Of course, if you start to compare prices...:)

I'm sure they mean gasoline-based (aka petrol), not diesel. Here in the US we have almost no diesel options at all. VW and Audi have TDIs but they're very few and hard to find. Even the Chrysler 300 turbo diesel was never sold here.

Actually there are some amazing diesels in Europe. The US just went all anti-diesel from the sooty days of old diesel.

For the most part yes. Tight emission controls meant Diesels weren't feasible in the US (they couldn't pass emissions standards in the US) until technology could come up with a way to lower the particulates in diesel exhaust. That didn't happen until the past couple years. And by then apparently our current president is so enamoured by electric vehicles that he doesn't want diesel to be pursued. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Diesel has lower emissions if you use the same rules as for gasoline cars.

Diesel has lower emissions if you use the same rules as for gasoline cars.

??

Diesel came on strong in the 70s with the gas "crisis" but went away almost completely in the 80s owing to particulate emissions and NOx. Today's cleanest diesels have much lower particulates than the 80s and SCRs for NOx so they are, indeed, cleaner than gasoline. The US public, however, thinks of slow, smokey diesels from the 70s because they haven't driven a BMW or even a VW TDI.

??

Diesel came on strong in the 70s with the gas "crisis" but went away almost completely in the 80s owing to particulate emissions and NOx. Today's cleanest diesels have much lower particulates than the 80s and SCRs for NOx so they are, indeed, cleaner than gasoline. The US public, however, thinks of slow, smokey diesels from the 70s because they haven't driven a BMW or even a VW TDI.

Yup growing up my uncle bought a car with a disel engine. I don't remember which one but this was the early 80s (he bought it used) I was like 3 or 4 when he got it. All my father did was complain about the crap it produced when he'd come over and park it in our drive way. Since then my father doesn't look at disels

Back