EB Employee plays PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
360 Screen? ;)
If so it would only further prove my point. If the 720p/360 version already looks great and the 1080p version looks better, whats the problem. There obviously hasnt been any graphical downgrades when upping the resolution for this title specifically. My grudge is when somebody says VT3 looks "crappy". Even when it's an arcade port, it looks far from "crappy".

But it doesn't hold a candle to the majority of 720p games out there. I wonder why is that?
Maybe because you are comparing to completely different genres? How does 720p Top Spin compare to Virtua Tennis 3? IMO I'd say it looks on par if not better. And thats not even mentioning gameplay, which would be irrelevant to this argument. How does 1080p VT3 compare to 720p VT3, which one looks better? I suppose we will find out in 07.

Apples to apples comparisons would be better imo.

How much better could it have looked if the Devs had focused on beefing up the graphics at 720p resolution instead?
Depends on the cycle of the development really. Most cases from what I have seen is that the development of most of these 1080p games have orginal been 720p titles. It seems the developers have pretty much gotten the game and the engine complete and as good as they can before release @ 720p, and then before launch are trying to give it another boost by reaching for 1080p. This is seen in multiple occurances (full auto 2, virtua tennis 3, resistance, ridge racer, RR6 to RR7 and so forth where all orginal media has been 720 and then later upped to 1080p). This I have no problem with when the engine/game for the most part is done and no graphical sacrafices have been done compared to previous media of the same game. I'm all for that. Until we start seeing games orginally aimed for 720p and later upped to 1080p, and there are obvious downgrades... Is when I start questioning the developers judgement.

Now other games where the sacrafices come into play. Mainly in games where they were orginally 1080p games, and maybe knocked down to 720p to hold the fedelity of what the developers try to accomplish. This is seen in Untold Legends when obviously 1080p wasnt working with them so they lowered the resolution (not that the game looked great in the first place). Seen in Heavenly Sword as well IIRC. Obviously if they take the decision of lowering the resolution so no graphical downgrades are made, I'm all for that as well. I think developers are smart enough to know when to up the resolution or when to down it.

To summerize...
If games are aimed at 720p, close to completion and then upped to 1080p without downgrades, I'm for it.
If games are aimed at 1080p, dropped down to 720p to make sure no huge downgrades are made, I'm for it.
When 720p games start upping to 1080p with obvious graphical downgrades, I'll question it when the time comes.

Honestly, its all in question really at the moment. And frankly I think this argument will become less and less important as developers start to understand the hardware more and start producing better quality titles even at 1080p. Right now, majority of the titles on the 1080p list are launch titles (or almost complete), so we are arguing semantics really, and this thread is heading nowhere fast...atleast until the games are shipped, reviewed, and played by us gamers. ;)

Wait, what? Are you trying to suggest people take Ridge Slidethroughwetmud seriously?

I take it you don't like the gameplay by the "slide" comment. Which would be highly subjective. ;)
Some like it, some dont. Me personally prefer the RR5 gameplay, but that doesnt mean someone else wont enjoy the PSP RR style.

I take it you don't like the gameplay by the "slide" comment. Which would be highly subjective. ;)
Some like it, some dont. Me personally prefer the RR5 gameplay, but that doesnt mean someone else wont enjoy the PSP RR style.

I guess some people might like driving with spheres for rear wheels... shrug.

I don't even like simulation racers. Give me NFS:U or F-Zero GX any day. ;;

Ahh, instead of vehicle with sphere as rear wheels, you prefer racers where the vehicle has no wheel :)

If you like F-Zero GX, you like snaking huh? You can snake in these later RR too for the boost.

Ahh, instead of vehicle with sphere as rear wheels, you prefer racers where the vehicle has no wheel :)

If you like F-Zero GX, you like snaking huh? You can snake in these later RR too for the boost.

I don't go as far as snaking, I don't have any player-based competition... though I guess if I trained myself to snake well I could probably finally get f*cking Very Hard #7 done... one of these days... :cry:

You might want to change your tone a bit if you are enjoying these forums. I would neg rep you for this post but I don't know how to do it. ;)

Are you a sony developer or something??So i guess saying that "Ubisoft is licking MS'nuts" is o.k
but saying something about the PR sony's developers are using is bad.

Oh and i could care less if neg rep me....

Are you a sony developer or something??So i guess saying that "Ubisoft is licking MS'nuts" is o.k
but saying something about the PR sony's developers are using is bad.

Did I say it was ok? I was just using your comment as an example that its not alright. You need to change your tone.

And I love the angst ending too.

Did I say it was ok? I was just using your comment as an example that its not alright. You need to change your tone.

And I love the angst ending too.

Lay of him, he's right the proof is in the puding look at the comments by Matt Lee for example .

Is it me or there is too much trolling lately in these forums?

Yeah I agree, I was just thinking about this about 2s before I read your post :D Coincidence? I think not! :D

About PS3 vs. X360 it seems that we are hearing two completely different points of view on the same event (as far as graphical fidelity is concerned). My hope is that PS3 has some visual advantage, considering the cost of the system and the purported processing power of the cell, but I would be eqully happy if I could get the same fidelity (better?) on the x360 for 2/3 the price.

Some PS3 stuff does look amazing though. I would buy the system if I could 60fps on titles that x360 rendered @ 30, or more realistically, smoother framerates with some added effects. That small difference would generate enough ROI (srry had to throw that in there, stuyding financial ratios in managment class).

I want Sonic! I've heard bad things about camera and movement sensitivity, but when has that not been a problem in 3d sonic games. I loved SA1 & 2 on DC, so if they can get this new sonic to control @ that level I would be happy enough.

VT looks awesome.

Resistance doesn't interest me at all. I can't stand FPS on consoles due to auto aim, look spring, and the boo reaction speeds I get with the thumbstick.

VF5 is going to be amazing.

Umm. I'm out of things to say.

we're developing with 360 as our main development platform and porting to PS3 means that there's less memory available for us to use

So now the real battle is about "storage" anyway :)

Kidden aside, wouldn´t it be fair to say that if this developer has a memory problem that either they are porting it without really taking into account the split memory nature of the PS3 (and the subsequent extra code needed to handle that) or the PS3 OS takes so much space that the texture quality has to suffer?

And when did this game started to be looked upon as weak graphically?

God man, it's an arcade port made with last generation GFX cards.

How can you be so obtuse? Compare it to Rockstar's Table Tennis, does that make it a little more clear to you? This game is not a graphical showcase, not even close, and if you can't see that, well I dunno what to say...

I guess in your mind, it's 1080p so it must look good, and you just ignore what your EYES are telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back