E3 Nintendo Conference Thread

NY Times article on developers shifting resources to the Wii.

In Battle of Consoles, Nintendo Gains Allies

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — In the competition among the makers of video game consoles, momentum is building for the Wii from Nintendo among its crucial allies: game developers and publishers.

Inspired by the early success of the Wii, the companies that create and distribute games are beginning to shift resources and personnel toward building more Wii games, in some cases at the expense of the competing systems: the PlayStation 3 from Sony and Xbox 360 from Microsoft.

The shift is closely watched because consumers tend to favor systems that have many compelling games. More resources diverted to the Wii would mean more games, and that would translate into more consumers buying Wii consoles later.

more...

2500$ will buy you a Wii Dev Kit. Games are costing 1-5 million on average to make.
Get a couple of private investors and you are set. There is no need to spend 20 million anymore, unless its the PS360.

XBLA and PSN say Hi.

NYT needs to check its facts:
NYT said:
History gave developers and publishers reason for caution, too. Nintendo’s last system, the GameCube, was initially a hot seller, but was ultimately outsold — and by a considerable margin — by the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
Cube didn't have a great start, and the Xbox outsold it by a small margin. I guess the consumer perception is that the Gamecube sold 3 million units and the Xbox sold 50 mil.

...a marketplace type game...

Errrr... What type of game would that be?

If you're willing to spend 1-5M on a game I'm not sure there will be a lot of difference anyway (seeing how there are UE3 games on XBLA aready).

Last edited by a moderator:
COD3 was one of the better launch games. Another advantage of launch games is that they have very little competition.

There are quite a few 3rd party games over 300K already. While not shovelware, they are ports/remakes or not a blockbuster type game.

examples:
RE4 Wii is already at 200K
Pokemon is over 400K
DragonBall Z is at 300K
Tigerwoods is at 300K

Quite a few games are at 150K or so already, another year and they will break even at least.

Elebits is at 200K, not bad for a piss poor looking, but fun playing game so far.

The Wii changes the economics for developers, its cheaper to make for and hence turn a profit for.

Errrr... What type of game would that be?

If you're willing to spend 1-5M on a game I'm not sure there will be a lot of difference anyway (seeing how there are UE3 games on XBLA aready).

Marketplace = XBLA

To actually sell on disc would take a little more investment.

WiiWare will be the same as XBLA except the cost of the Wii Dev Kit, but that is really no more expensive than a workstation for a developer.

How many of those UE3 games are not FPS?

Marketplace = XBLA

That's not really a type of game, now is it?

My point is if Wii development is inexpensive, it's because of the cheaper content.

For the same budget you end up with roughly the same title on any platform. Downloadable or not.

How many of those UE3 games are not FPS?

On XBLA? All of 'm (1 live, 1 announced :p). But what does that have to do with this discussion?

I'm still not completely convinced that the Wii is not just a fad to a certain extent. It's up to Nintendo to keep giving consumers a reason to play it and so far they haven't really delived that well IMO. It remains to be seen whether Nintendo can get past the "tickle-me-Elmo" stage.

I'm still not completely convinced that the Wii is not just a fad to a certain extent. It's up to Nintendo to keep giving consumers a reason to play it and so far they haven't really delived that well IMO. It remains to be seen whether Nintendo can get past the "tickle-me-Elmo" stage.

I don't remember tickle-me-Elmo" being sold out till july the next year. Nintendo will still sell a ton of Wiis for a long time. MS and Sony priced them selves out of the market and not enough people own an hd-tv. Even worse how many familys have a hd-tv for kids play room where the ps2/wii sit right now. The Wii all but has japan locked up and is closing in on locking up NA. The only place the Wii is not a lock right now is sonyland aka europe.

And what exactly on the Wii is keeping you so busy? It certanly could not be the games, unless you are still playing Wii Sports and Zelda. So far the best games Wii has have been ports from the GameCube with Zelda and Resident Evil 4, and with little to no serious 3rd party support it looks like you will be relying on Nintendo to provide you with some decent games.

You've asked this question before. ;)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024084#post1024084

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024197#post1024197

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024209#post1024209

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024219#post1024219 - My reply here in particular

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024248#post1024248

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024260#post1024260

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1024402#post1024402 - My reply here in particular

And then there are other quality games that I didn't mention such as Elebits, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and so forth and so on.

Have developers supported the Wii like they supported the 360 or PS3 out of the gate? No. But they are coming around very very quickly.

I don't remember tickle-me-Elmo" being sold out till july the next year. Nintendo will still sell a ton of Wiis for a long time. MS and Sony priced them selves out of the market and not enough people own an hd-tv. Even worse how many familys have a hd-tv for kids play room where the ps2/wii sit right now. The Wii all but has japan locked up and is closing in on locking up NA. The only place the Wii is not a lock right now is sonyland aka europe.
Europe is becoming Nintendoland now too. The latest Germany & France software charts are starting to look like Japan charts - dominated by DS games with a few Wii games. The latest UK chart at at Gaf is starting to shift that way too. The places where Sony still hold strong, with the PS2, are smaller markets like Spain, Norway, etc.

Edit: just to add that the Wii is on track to pass the 360 in lifetime worldwide sales in the next couple of months. That's a year's advantage about to be wiped out, shyeah, it's a fad.

And what exactly on the Wii is keeping you so busy? It certanly could not be the games, unless you are still playing Wii Sports and Zelda. So far the best games Wii has have been ports from the GameCube with Zelda and Resident Evil 4, and with little to no serious 3rd party support it looks like you will be relying on Nintendo to provide you with some decent games.

Wii Sports is the type of game that you cannot "beat" like the RPGs or the platform games. It can be played over and over.

There's quite a few 3rd party support if you trasverse across the pacific, but none of the 3rd party games could overtake Nintendo on the center stage yet. dragon quest sword should be one of those.

I don't see it. It won't be long before an X360 core unit is $199. I don't see PS2 fans looking at that and saying they would rather pay $249 to have a Wii and play tennis than an X360 for $199 and play Gears of War, Halo, GTAIV etc...

I don't find it believable that the legions of people that bought GTA3, Halo, Madden, MGS4, Splinter Cell, GT3/4, Forza, Final Fantasy are really going to forego those games this time around so that they can play WarioWare and Super Mario Galaxy. It's not going to happen.

These PS2 fans are just waiting to pay $199 like they did last time around and that time will come. Patience.

You've asked this question before. ;)

Have developers supported the Wii like they supported the 360 or PS3 out of the gate? No. But they are coming around very very quickly.

There's actually not much evidence of that beyond a couple statements by execs and some press releases. This E3 is evidence of the opposite. Where are the innovative third party games that will take advantage of the Wii's unique abilities? I didn't notice any at E3.

Forgive me if I come off as naïve , but has Nintendo lost it's mind? The Wii-fit left every one of my Wii owning counterparts completely disappointed. The Zapper I can sort of see some legitmate usage for, even though I don't think the Wii houses enough of the graphical know-how to cater to the shooter audience appropriately, but I don't see how the Wii-fit can even impose itself in a party atmosphere. I'd certainly bust out classic Wii sports before I encouraged all my friends to hoola-hoop....

I don't see it. It won't be long before an X360 core unit is $199. I don't see PS2 fans looking at that and saying they would rather pay $249 to have a Wii and play tennis than an X360 for $199 and play Gears of War, Halo, GTAIV etc...

I don't find it believable that the legions of people that bought GTA3, Halo, Madden, MGS4, Splinter Cell, GT3/4, Forza, Final Fantasy are really going to forego those games this time around so that they can play WarioWare and Super Mario Galaxy. It's not going to happen.

These PS2 fans are just waiting to pay $199 like they did last time around and that time will come. Patience.

Madden is already there are you telling me if the Wii keeps up the pace it is 3rd parties won't move big titles to the Wii? It is like the DS once sales got so over whelming big titles have started to move to it. DQ9 moving to the DS was major and the same thing will happen with the Wii if things keep up. The wii is outselling the other guys by what 700k+ a month world wide and sold out? Hell the 2 big heavy hitters for the Wii have not even come out yet with SMG and SSB.

With PS2 support starting to slow down those gamers will go some where starting this xmass. How many years before sony can get to 199 hell MS keeps draging thier feet on any price cut. By the time sony and MS get thier acts together it will be to late.

Forgive me if I come off as naïve , but has Nintendo lost it's mind? The Wii-fit left every one of my Wii owning counterparts completely disappointed. The Zapper I can sort of see some legitmate usage for, even though I don't think the Wii houses enough of the graphical know-how to cater to the shooter audience appropriately, but I don't see how the Wii-fit can even impose itself in a party atmosphere. I'd certainly bust out classic Wii sports before I encouraged all my friends to hoola-hoop....

We just have to face facts E3 as we knew it is dead. It is no longer about the core gamers but about retailers and getting main streem media attention. It was rather brilliant WiiFit over shadowed a steller MS fall line up and the jaw dropping world debut of kill zone 2 and other sony heavy hitter. The only thing the casual gamer knows coming out of E3 right now is nintendo dominated MS has hardware issues and sony can't make up their mind on pricing.

The core gamer will have to wait for special events ms and sony put on for what they are looking for.

I think if you took all those consumers who bought those big name PS2 titles and accounted for overlap, you would find the a large fraction of the PS2 userbase never even own those titles.

When you see Spiderman, Shrek 3, Pirates of the C. and Transformer the Movie games all in the top 25 of software, it lets you know that there are plenty gamers who'd buy the Wii even without the opportunity to play GTA4, Mass Effect, Killzone2, FFXIII and just about any other big name title coming out for the 360 and the PS3.

Back