E3 Nintendo Conference Thread

Only 20 minutes in and we get the first interesting announcement :p I thought we were going to get stuck in sales-land for a moment there..

The Wii Zapper - a hybrid of the nunchuck and wiimote, apparently. It's a two-hand 'machine gun' like controller, aimed at FPS games it seems.

$20, if not bundled with software.

edit - sounds like it's not a peripheral in itself, but something you slow the wiimote and nunchuck into? I was thinking $20 seemed a bit cheap, but maybe not if that's what it is.

Various upcoming games will support it, Medal Of Honor (32 players online), Res Evil, and apparently their own product, which I'll bet now is Duckhunt :p

Well, there you go, stuff about Wii online just as I predicted (I think I did anyway).

That zapper, well, whatever. If it was that good then why wasn't Jackie using it for Metroid. ;) But there are interesting bits of overlap with the GunCon3. (Wonder if they put tilt in the latter)

Pff, what do people see in Mario Kart! :D (referring to all the cheers there)

Oh boy, it's the year of the Wii-mote containers. Holding that wheel thing isn't going to be nearly as comfortable as simply holding the Wii sideways, and it adds nothing (I base this on Motorstorm on sixaxis).

Yep, the check Mii out is very Web 3.0, like their other voting channel.

New Wii channel - "Check Mii out" - can view, vote on and take home other peoples' miis. I can see that being pretty popular, there seem to be a fair number of people who like to show off miis.

What i dont understand is how putting any racing game online is some sort of relevant announcement. I think we can count on one hand the # of racing games NOT online at this point but Nintendo announces like theyve invented something.

Sorry I know that was harsh.

Oh boy, it's the year of the Wii-mote containers. Holding that wheel thing isn't going to be nearly as comfortable as simply holding the Wii sideways, and it adds nothing (I base this on Motorstorm on sixaxis).

Shrug I could see it being more comfortable. I find the Wii-mote seems kinda tiny when held on its side for Excite Truck.

But yeah its kinda strange.

What i dont understand is how putting any racing game online is some sort of relevant announcement. I think we can count on one hand the # of racing games NOT online at this point but Nintendo announces like theyve invented something.

Sorry I know that was harsh.

Well this whole Nintendo conference is like looking into a portal that lets you see 7 years into the past. There is nothing they can announce that can impress non-casual gamers. Even Iwata coming out on stage right now reminds me of Kutaragi of yesteryear.

Well I am bit torn.

I want to hate Nintendo for making suck kiddie games that target total newbies. But at the same time I love Nintendo for expanding the gaming market.

I guess their products have role as training wheels for gamers. I just could not live in a world where developers only target this casual market simply because it is bigger and forget about us more mature gamers with more refined tastes.

I give them all the credits for expanding the market and making new things popular. I don't really care how cheesy they make it, or how boring their games get for me. It's valuable.

Hmm, Wii Fit. Interesting. No use of the wiimote at all?

Hey, now they've even expanded the market to people with no arms! (seriously) ;)

Could be interesting. Not sure yet how this is better than EyeToy Kinetics, but the analog detection of your weight transfer is interesting. I'd like this in combination with wii-mote stuff in a game for sure. Nice for a fighting game.

Ive just shut down the live stream, areobics? I can sense another nothing special conference like Microsofts.

peripherals hardly Sell, they should concentrate on banging out some decent Mario and Zelda games instead of pissing about with peripherals.

Seems like Mario Kart fans have to clamoring for Mario Kart Wii. I think the online emphasis was just a response to "hardcore" gamers who say that Nintendo are neglecting online play.

I'm not sure what to make of the wheel though. It's really small, but looks like better quality than others that we've seen before.

Humm... WiiFit. It uses a sensor Pad. That was unexpected. Wow, I think it's going to steal much of the exercise tape/dvd market.

Back