DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Install size is 17GB
ebJPk4yl.png

Thats great news. Just 17 GBs ! All hail no pre rendered cutscenes !

I guess that shows BRD was kinda overkill for PS3.

Nah, push for BDR was still great [and expensive] move by Sony. Many devs are taking advantage from large storage space [8gb per language in D3, pre rendereded cinematics for games that want ot showcase story elements that feature things that can be rendered realtime [increased ammount of charachters, quick camera jump between areas that cant physically fit in memory,...]].

Anyways, driving games are never big storage-wize.

I guess that shows BRD was kinda overkill for PS3.

What do you mean? One current gen game fits on a single layer BD, and now suddenly all those other games that use more than a DVD on PS3 are badly compressed? I know you know better than that. ;)

driving games are never big in storage size

Except of course, you know, Gran Turismo and Forza, who didn't fit on a single DVD last gen already.

I wonder if their way of doing PBR for their cars and environment affects how many contents they could reasonably have within the given time. I heard it takes some 7 months to finish a single car so one could imagine how many real life samples they have to collect.

I think DC is not content monster game. Some 10s of cars and 10-20 tracks.

Ferrarri f355 on dreamcast had only one car! But it was such a great and polished game.

And only 3.5GB to start playing is good news. For people like me with low internet bandwidth, playgo is really a god send feature.

What do you mean? One current gen game fits on a single layer BD, and now suddenly all those other games that use more than a DVD on PS3 are badly compressed?
Or full of video cutscenes and duplicate data. If a next gen racing game looking as good as DriveClub only needs 17 GBs, how much would the same sort of game scaled back to PS3 need? I'd think less data than that, at a DVD.

Bah, wrong thread for this discussion! It's all history now anyway. PS3 got BRD and devs used it.

By the way it's only the PS+ version that has 10 cars and 11 tracks.

The full version has in fact 50 cars and 55 tracks.

Or full of video cutscenes and duplicate data. If a next gen racing game looking as good as DriveClub only needs 17 GBs, how much would the same sort of game scaled back to PS3 need? I'd think less data than that, at a DVD.

Bah, wrong thread for this discussion! It's all history now anyway. PS3 got BRD and devs used it.

Well Motorstorm 2 and 3 were something like 7,4GB each, so for those games from this same publisher a DVD would have been enough. But there are several digital downloads for PS3 games that are well over double that. Good looking and game size don't always correlate after all. ;)

PS+ Edition isn’t eligible for pre-loading. And
Over the weekend, Fred Dutton of the EU PlayStation Blog revealed another interesting piece of info, saying, “DriveClub will be in addition to your regular PS Plus allocation.” This means that, in addition to the PS+ Edition of DriveClub, there will still be two PlayStation 4 games, two PlayStation 3 games, and two PlayStation Vita games in the October 2014 Instant Game Collection.

Well Motorstorm 2 and 3 were something like 7,4GB each, so for those games from this same publisher a DVD would have been enough. But there are several digital downloads for PS3 games that are well over double that. Good looking and game size don't always correlate after all. ;)

There are even some PS2 hd updates that have ballooned to a ridiculous degree. The Sly Cooper Trilogy is like 30 gigs.

There are even some PS2 hd updates that have ballooned to a ridiculous degree. The Sly Cooper Trilogy is like 30 gigs.

That's not bad, you're talking about 3 games with cutscenes and extras/options enhanced to HD on one BR disc. Each game is almost 10 gigs separately, so not as much of a big deal as you think.

The Sly games barely have cut-scenes. The bulk of the plot is told via in-engine sequences. No surround sound either. Sly Cooper 3 is 3.3 Gigs on the PS2. It's 11 Gigs on the PS3. Considering how Sanzaru games didn't really change or add anything to the PS2 games, filesizes like these seem pretty damn huge to me.
Some devs just play it fast and loose with compression I guess. Sly 4 Thieves in Time's download size is 3 times larger than Bioshock Infinite's too.

Back