Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish they would include some thoughts on the use of HDR since it's one of the biggest visual enhancer. Otherwise really love the analysis. So it doesn't have real time GI after all despite how lighting looks pretty astounding in general. But I think they did make the right trade-off here seeing a plethora of other resource hogging effects and assets made in as a result. The engine sure has a nice balance to achieve such a splendid final result and I wager their second attempt at another open world game would raise the bar even higher.

I really wish they would include some thoughts on the use of HDR since it's one of the biggest visual enhancer. Otherwise really love the analysis. So it doesn't have real time GI after all despite how lighting looks pretty astounding in general. But I think they did make the right trade-off here seeing a plethora of other resource hogging effects and assets made in as a result. The engine sure has a nice balance to achieve such a splendid final result and I wager their second attempt at another open world game would raise the bar even higher.
And HDR on the base PS4 ... has anybody tested this? All I see are tests that mention HDR but tested on the PS4 Pro.

And HDR on the base PS4 ... has anybody tested this? All I see are tests that mention HDR but tested on the PS4 Pro.
the HDR on both should be the same as with all HDR compatible titles. You don't need more processing power to display it, it's the TV that does the job.

the HDR on both should be the same as with all HDR compatible titles. You don't need more processing power to display it, it's the TV that does the job.
The problem is still, I don't see how that should be possible, without a proper HDMI 2.0 port.
Is there any game that uses the HDR in non Pro mode?

The problem is still, I don't see how that should be possible, without a proper HDMI 2.0 port.
Is there any game that uses the HDR in non Pro mode?

The PS4 outputs from the Displayport output on the APU and then uses a Displayport to HDMI converter chip from Panasonic to output HDMI. The speculation is that they updated the firmware on the Panasonic converter chip to output an HDMI 2.0 compatible stream in a similar way to how they updated the PS3 to output HDMI 1.4 for 3D compatibility.

I have not played Shadowfall but always thought the artstyle is a great fit for a futuristic setting. Horizon shines with its detailed textures, character models, artstyle and lighting. It honestly looks better than expected. Probably the best In-game foliage I've seen yet even on youtube.

The camera problem he mentioned is strange though. Hope they patch it.
I don't understand why shooters/racing games all aim for 60fps on consoles (ok Driveclub doesn't). I played a good amount of 30fps Racing games on PS3 and I can tell you they are perfectly playable and fun.

This is the type of visuals i'd want for something like Battlefront I know it would be possible with occasional drops to 25-28 maybe. You could still add unlocked mode for the pro.

Last edited:
One thing I don't get about the claim of lack of real time GI from DF is witnessed here, the right side of the cliff not directly lit by sunlight is clearly shaded.
b489a986_o.png

And the last time I checked to have a real time TOD and weather you can't have baked in GI especially outdoor scene. So what's going on here? Could the game be using some form of GI that's not necessarily as advanced as SSVGI?

One thing I don't get about the claim of lack of real time GI from DF is witnessed here, the right side of the cliff not directly lit by sunlight is clearly shaded.
b489a986_o.png

And the last time I checked to have a real time TOD and weather you can't have baked in GI especially outdoor scene. So what's going on here? Could the game be using some form of GI that's not necessarily as advanced as SSVGI?

They probably use like Far Cry light probes

Yeah could be, maybe GG could shed some light at GDC. Whatever it uses tho it's looking damn impressive whether in still or real time time lapses.

Of course they do some form of ambient lighting. It just seems to be very uniform. Maybe they only have one single light-probe for entire large areas. If not, it certainly looks like that, unfortunately. That's what DF means by lack of GI me thinks.

Ooof.

Dat bandwidth + double buffered vsync. Get a triple buffer patch out stat.

Is that some kind of bilinear / optimised trilinear filtering at 7:14?

switch is a great portable, the greatest portable console even, but it's just a bad home console specs wise.
Hope it succeeds though, Nintendo is important in the gaming space, proof is the quality of the new Zelda.

Ooof.

Really not good news if you expect any AAA being ported to this...would require significant downgrades to maintain 30fps..

Really not good news if you expect any AAA being ported to this...would require significant downgrades to maintain 30fps..
If anybody bought a Switch to play third party AAA games, please contact a psychiatrist because you be crazy. :yep2:

Didn't they market the switch as a XB1 levels of power console? or shall i say didn't the media say it would be comparable?

I Think it will be patched still doesn't look very good when Docked from what i've seen apart from the great artstyle, world design.

Ooof.

Red dead redemption all over again :( Hate double buffered sync

Another thing is 720p max af and smaa would look better anyway.

Yeah, really hope Zelda is just a case of rushed development but there does seem to be a pretty significant bandwidth bottleneck on the switch. For larger games like zelda the focus should be on improving a 720p image. Mario kart is a nice locked 1080p60 though, and something like splatoon can be as well.

On the ps4 pro as well there are games that run worse because of the higher resolution, which in either its or the switch's case is totally pointless, games should look better but never at the cost of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back