Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: beaten :p

We were talking about subtle differences between versions, MGS V
Subsurface scattering completely missing on X1 in addition to the resolution difference.
Can you draw circles? I don't know what I'm looking for. To me they look pretty damn identical with the exception of resolution.

In gif form

DecimalDismalIvorygull.gif

CaringAcclaimedAmericanindianhorse.gif

Basically skin looks smoother in Ps4 version, like light is passing through the surface. X1 is missing that effect. It also appears like the Ps4 features more accurate shadowing on character faces (nurse neck and teeth for example).

In gif form

Basically skin looks smoother in Ps4 version, like light is passing through the surface. X1 is missing that effect. It also appears like the Ps4 features more accurate shadowing on character faces (nurse neck and teeth for example).
I'm going to wait for the full DF or some more opinions. DF reports this as a texture streaming issue in some other cases for PS4.
I do see a difference in the way the scene is lit. But I'm not sure if the smoothness is a SSS or pure texture streaming.

It is SSS (although a not very expensive use of it due to 60hz target and all), if it was textures alone you wouldn't see different coloring of the skin + diffused shadows (notice how Big Boss's face has a red-ish hue in comparison).

Last edited:
I'm going to wait for the full DF or some more opinions. DF reports this as a texture streaming issue in some other cases for PS4.
I do see a difference in the way the scene is lit. But I'm not sure if the smoothness is a SSS or pure texture streaming.

DF updated its previous article : "Update 28/8/15 11:30am: on re-testing this scene, texture streaming can safely be ruled out as the cause. Instead, skin shading methods between PS4 and Xbox One differ for extreme close-ups such as this - and we can confirm this is the case for other close-ups in this vein, giving shadows and dimples across faces on PS4 a subtler, blended look. The suggestion is this is an approximated form of subsurface scattering that works in favour of PS4 at these moments - a point we intend to cross-check with other platforms."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-metal-gear-solid-5

PS4 has slightly better AF too.

DF updated its previous article : "Update 28/8/15 11:30am: on re-testing this scene, texture streaming can safely be ruled out as the cause. Instead, skin shading methods between PS4 and Xbox One differ for extreme close-ups such as this - and we can confirm this is the case for other close-ups in this vein, giving shadows and dimples across faces on PS4 a subtler, blended look. The suggestion is this is an approximated form of subsurface scattering that works in favour of PS4 at these moments - a point we intend to cross-check with other platforms."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-metal-gear-solid-5

PS4 has slightly better AF too.
Lol ok I was also in agreement that ps4 looked better I just wasn't sure what the developers were going for

In gif form

That's a big difference... the nurse on XB1 looks so damn old without SS.

Any form of SMAA (1x, 1TX, T2x) would suffice really. Especially on XB1 when you start throwing 900p in the mix; then FXAA just doesn't give you the best results in terms of image-quality.

That's very much true. Both the X1 and PS4 versions of the Black Ops 3 beta used SMAA Filmic T2x.
Digitial Foundry misidentified it as FXAA, but you can easily try this on the PC beta - if you toggle between FXAA and SMAA Filmic T2x the difference is huge.

Man, Xbone's nurse looks like it's been rendered with Maya's default renderer while PS4's nurse looks similar to Mentay Ray's. Also the jagged shadow around her neck in Bone's version is distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back