Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right. I didn't like at the RER video. These look like loading issues mainly.

My post earlier was about RE:R2 (revelations 2).

Drops to 16, 3m 29s if it doesn't work properly. Interesting to say the least.
Wtf? Why can't the PS4 brute force this to 60FPS?
I mean youd even think the PS3 could brute force this at 1080P/60FPS. There's barely anything being rendered on screen except for the characters, even accounting for the redone scenes that are in 3D.

The operative word there is "HARDWARE"... so you don't need new hardware to get "feature level 12" ... Doesn't mean Windows 7 or Windows 8 will get Dx12

All previous reports on DX12, is that all modern hardware will support D3D12. Not the entire DX12 feature set. GCN1.0 will support D3D12, but it doesn't have Tiled Resources Tier 2 for instance. Which is a 11.1+ feature set that should also be visible in 12.

We will likely see DX12/11.3 full feature set cards should be coming that will have some feature differences from 11.2

Wtf? Why can't the PS4 brute force this to 60FPS?
I mean youd even think the PS3 could brute force this at 1080P/60FPS. There's barely anything being rendered on screen except for the characters, even accounting for the redone scenes that are in 3D.
The article said the same, and that Revelations 2 will actually be fully 3D and at 1080/60 so it's very much a (questionable) design choice.

In Theory: Nintendo's next-gen hardware - and the strategy behind it

Not sure if this could also be/should instead be posted in the 9th gen thread.

"However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams."

" [citing Android and iOS] The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples."

"While we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture," Iwata said. "It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."

Last entry, the review of the Alienware Alpha. I'm enjoying mine since Christmas.
I won't do a review my-self as it happens that I have a limited usage of it... Diablo 3, which I've been deprived of for months, took its toll here.
It is neat as a HTPC, dead silent and really tiny.

For the UI well I don't use it, Windows is so much better. I use both a keyboard and a mouse, only the later is really mandatory for casual/console type of use (along with the on screen keyboard). Clearly not a console and Alienware interface is useless, it is pretty much only a Steam launcher.
If they wanted to do something useful they should have installed software that allows the gamepad to emulate a mouse.

I'm perfectly happy with it though that comes from someone that bought it has an HTPC not a console.

Why not just set steam to auto start in big picture mode when the pc boots up rather than having another clunky front end for it? Makes no sense to me.

Digital Foundry vs Saints Row 4: Re-Elected on PS4

1080p, aimed for 60 but it's not always hitting it - "but the engine fails to achieve this consistently with implications for the title's visual smoothness and the feedback from its controls, creating an uneven experience. [..] Based on cut-scene performance alone we were expecting a similarly limited 30fps experience during gameplay, but instead there's an uncapped frame-rate that closely achieves 60fps in some less demanding scenes, and struggles heavily under load." Cut scenes are capped at 30fps but have issues - "However, some mild judder frequently appears in these sequences, lending inconstant motion to these scenes that doesn't look quite right. Pockets of frame-pacing irregularities are the problem here, with the engine regularly out presenting some frames at 16ms intervals, some at 33ms, and others at 50ms"

"once we get further into the game, environments become much more open and detailed, and performance drops to the 30-40fps level. [..] The game remains v-synced at all times, so at least we don't see the usual 'screen wobble' associated with tearing found on the last-gen releases."

"the lack of anti-aliasing on the new version results in the break-up of sub-pixel imagery"

"Beyond a handful of subtle changes to artwork and lighting, upgrades in other areas are kept to a bare minimum, with some effects actually downgraded compared to the existing PC game running with the highest settings enabled. Texture filtering is poorly handled on the PS4, with markings and general detail becoming blurred at a distance. [...] Elsewhere, ambient occlusion appears to be dialled back in strength from the PC release, and depth of field is absent, despite its implementation on the Xbox 360 and PS3."

Why not just set steam to auto start in big picture mode when the pc boots up rather than having another clunky front end for it? Makes no sense to me.
Indeed, one of those day i'm going to check if it would be troublesome to uninstal the "alphaUI" as it is named.
Marketing guys wanted to market it as a console, I'm not sure it does the product any good.

Finally, they admitted themselves that there was something funky going on with the equipment and certain RGB settings in some games that created crushed blacks on the Xbox One when those games were just running fine on well calibrated HDTVs, like the one I have for instance.

Xbox One delivers an image with a degree of crushed blacks in our captures, but we're told by Microsoft that using limited-range TV mode in display settings should alleviate the issue on an HDTV. Apparently, the full-range 'PC' mode supported by our capture equipment doesn't output the expected sRGB gamma curve on certain titles, something we're looking into.

Yay, DF is doing average framerates again??

pFcDaqr.png

Such a great info summary in one number.

~11% framerate advantage for PS4.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree... it's good to see this again. But for complete statistics, I'd like to see percentiles etc (yeah, asking much... but why not).

Thing is though. Yes, average is 11% difference, but lowest framerate is nearly 20% difference. And in my opinion, that's much more important for gameplay than 38 to 43 fps on average.

pFcDaqr.png

Such a great info summary in one number.

A more interesting data would be the dropped frames which indicates the % of judder.

6770 / 5332 ~= 1.27 meaning XB1 version has 27% more judder than PS4 version.

Also if you have to round numbers, you have to round it up: 43.2 / 38.7 ~1.116 meaning ~12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back