Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO with absence of normal maps, the game looks really ugly on PS4, this is the second game on PS4 that suffers from lack or low res normal maps.

After Journey (PS4)?

In the original version, you'll notice sparkling grains of sand present throughout many scenes, while the effect is often absent on PS4, resulting in a flatter overall presentation

pVNhqxR.png

Now NFS:
in some scenes we see the PS4 lacking an extra normal map and texture layer used on Xbox One to add details to puddles of water in the ground on wet surfaces

d397ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

Developers addressed Journey, DF analysis was incorrect. Nothing was missing, it was a choice. Not sure about NFS, the ps4 version looks more natural to me.

Yeah, in journey weren't the normal maps just higher resolution which resulted in smaller, less obvious "grains"? I think it's possible that is what is happening in NFS this year.

Yeah, in journey weren't the normal maps just higher resolution which resulted in smaller, less obvious "grains"? I think it's possible that is what is happening in NFS this year.

PS4 version in those screenshot does not have smaller, less obvious "grains". So, no. It seems to be missing the step where the specular reflections are effected by the normal map. Probably the only variance in the speculars on PS4 is due to the specular map or whatever map they are calling it that controls the amount of reflected light.

Last edited:

No it is a missing effect and I am an only PS4 owner. I hope it is a bug and they will patch it...

Well the XB1 version doesn't really look like normal wet asphalt, more like wet gravel (like @Sigfried1977 wrote in the NFS thread).

A much lower resolution of lighting causing the reflection (lower than 900p vs 1080p difference, maybe comparatively like 720p on XB1, remember they already reduced the AO and the LOD on XB1, maybe they also reduced the resolution of some effects too) + much more grainy filter at 900p combined with slight sharpening artefacts due to the upscaling (still seen in others recent game on XB1 like project cars) could easily explain the abnormal look of the wet asphalt seen on the XB1 version.

But obviously like with Journey PS4 vs PS3, some people (including the DF guy) may prefer the coarser look of the asphalt (possibly due to much lower resolution of lighting + artefacts from upscaling + grain filter).

Well the XB1 version doesn't really look like normal wet asphalt, more like wet gravel (like @Sigfried1977 wrote in the NFS thread).

A much lower resolution of lighting causing the reflection (lower than 900p vs 1080p difference, maybe comparatively like 720p on XB1, remember they already reduced the AO and the LOD on XB1, maybe they also reduced the resolution of some effects too) + much more grainy filter at 900p combined with slight sharpening artefacts due to the upscaling (still seen in others recent game on XB1 like project cars) could easily explain the abnormal look of the wet asphalt seen on the XB1 version.

But obviously like with Journey PS4 vs PS3, some people (including the DF guy) may prefer the coarser look of the asphalt (possibly due to much lower resolution of lighting + artefacts from upscaling + grain filter).
I can't put it in the same class as the Journey one. In those parts, normal mapping has 0 effect on the speculars on the PS4. That's not due to different resolution, that's missing the last step described in their stochastic screen space reflections presentation. (Slides 7-10)

Last edited:
So the Initial DF Performance Analysis article is up
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Highlights
- regular drops to ~20FPS on hitting load triggers (worse on XB1)
- drops on transparencies and crowds (worse on PS4)
- even modest PCs will provide an equivalent or better experience to consoles

and there is a second article titled "Fallout 4: Next-gen or not?" to which the answer is 'kinda' with PBR being a highlight with low quality volumetrics and short shadow draw distances standing out as lowlights.

"On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps."

"On repeat tests we were taken aback by disparity we saw. Even on multiple re-tests, using the same enemies, weather and lighting conditions, each Xbox One console we try has similar, and obvious issues streaming in data effectively - where it doesn't manifest to nearly the same extent on PS4."

"It's worth stressing this only affects a weapon's initial use on Xbox One, and not in every single case. And once loaded, hot-swapping between weapons from there onwards is as seamless as you'd expect. However, it is a distraction, and inevitably, if a weapon is left holstered for long enough, drawing it again cues another stutter down the line. This streaming issue is far from a game-breaker on Xbox One, but it is an obvious blemish that isn't resolved on patch 1.01, especially in combat where a lurch in motion can have a big impact on aiming."

That's certainly something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back