Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DSoup, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Looking forward to the lawsuit from some guy who expected a 60fps game to have all parts of the pipeline work at 60fps.

2. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Just to point out - because I'm a boring asshole - that animation has traditionally not been linked to render/raster rates e.g. sprite based games never tied animation and raster 1:1.

But yeah, would be nicer to have everything consistent. In most 60 fps games though, the animation rate often drops to 30 fps because everything has dropped to 30 fps (33ms = 30 fps). In the 3D age people are used to seeing all the shits hit all the the fans at once.

London Geezer likes this.
  3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Most?

Anyways, It's jarring. I'm trying to reconcile the 60fps "necessity" with this. Just give me an option for 30fps rendering (i.e. higher average resolution + total consistency with animation LOD).

Recop, Billy Idol and Shortbread like this.
  4. Scott_Arm

Legend

I want an option where the characters animate at 10fps, so they look like characters from Wolfenstein3D walking around.

rekator, homerdog, Gubbi and 3 others like this.
  5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Tearaway had ~10 fps animations on some aspects that looked like a stop-frame animation, but though convincing, it clashed with the 'smooth' 30 fps movement. I guess the extreme example is Pacman, at something like a 1 or 2 fps animation on a 60 fps motion refresh. No-one complained about that one. :-?

temesgen and Allandor like this.
  6. Gubbi

Veteran

And they scream "Mein leben!" when you kill 'em.

Cheers

7. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

4 animation frames on the original arcade version but Pacman cabients used a low persistance CRT so the natural bluring made all of the animation appear smoother and helped the ghosts slight trails when Pacman ate a powerpill and they went into high speed evade mode.

That's why nobody complained but I digress.. :yep2:

8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I checked around in this thread for the link but didn't see it. So here is UC4 MP DF Video

Honestly, the video was quite 'kind'. Had this MP been released 2 years ago, the tone would have been much more negative, at least imo. Perhaps this is signalling a new DF direction, one that uses language so that it's videos are meant for educational purposes and not cannon fodder for console wars.

9. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

The performance in that video is all over the place but they do say it runs a lot better on the showfloor at PGW (probably different builds?). I think we'll have to wait till December and play the beta to truly judge how the game is shaping up in multiplayer. From the videos shown i think it looks great and the gameplay and level design are really well done. Visually, lighting and animation stand out, almost no lod pop-in, very nice particle effects with the only two clear drawbacks currently being the framerate and the resolution(which probably won't change).

Edit: Gif from gaf
    http://i.imgur.com/ADh2bDS.gif

#2049 Clukos, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    Scott_Arm likes this.
  10. Scott_Arm

Legend

That rope swinging. Looks so cool.

11. Rangers

Legend

Literally the only discussion of the well below 60, more like 40-45, framerate was "it's going to be better by release, we really think/hope so, dont worry about this" repeated over and over. I hope other games get the same treatment...it's fair to mention for sure, and I believe they did so for Halo 5, but it just came off kind of strong there like damage control. Also if the showfloor build was much better, why not run that footage through the analyzer (if it's possible with offscreen). Otherwise I guess they are relying on word of mouth, and that's pretty dicey if laypeople are trying to parse 45 FPS vs 60.

I cant imagine Naughty Dog promising 60 FPS and releasing in that state, so I'd expect SOME improvement at the very least.

The graphics are very impressive IMO though, although the video is "weird" or cartoony the way it's edited.

#2051 Rangers, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    iroboto likes this.
  12. chris1515

Legend Regular

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-uncharted-4-multiplayer-hands-on

The video is from qn old build, the PGW build is much better

13. shredenvain

Regular

Don't let the video fool you. The shadow and asset loads are not a constant occurrence like the video leafs you to believe. I'm up to mission 7 in the campaign and I have only noticed occasional load pop in. Maybe once per mission. The textures on the ground do have a low quality look in several places though.

Update. OK mission 7 does have a more severe load issue now that I have played it more.

#2053 shredenvain, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  14. DrJay24

Veteran

Damage control for a game not out for five months? They already have a better performing build since that video, have faith in ND. People said the same crap about The Order 1886, the final game had no performance issues. Optimization is the last step.

hesido and bunge like this.
  15. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

16. Newguy

Regular Newcomer

Face-Off: Need for Speed

"The core assets and extensive effects work mostly translates to an equal standard across both versions of Need for Speed, with the same range of graphical features deployed on both PS4 and Xbox One."

"There are more unusual variances in other areas though; in some scenes we see the PS4 lacking an extra normal map and texture layer used on Xbox One to add details to puddles of water in the ground on wet surfaces, while light sources sometimes appear brighter and feature a stronger bloom component."

"PS4 inches ahead due to the extra clarity provided by the native 1080p resolution, but there's nothing you're really likely to actually miss, especially during fast action gameplay. In this sense, the two games are effectively identical - an already soft game on PS4 looks just a little softer on Xbox One."

Shortbread likes this.
  17. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Don't forget:

- Better LOD on PS4
    - Better AO on PS4
    - Identical framerate

Shortbread likes this.
  18. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

I wonder whether we'll still need to state the obvious every time in the next few years. Xb1 version slightly lower res, slightly toned down effects, feels pretty much the same but at marginally lower settings.
    I mean, it's really nothing new and unlikely to change so I'm not sure why DF even bother producing all these almost copy&paste analyses.

Ok, party pooper leaving now. Bye.

Shortbread and BRiT like this.
  19. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Many people still think the gap will narrow...

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I'm a believer that it still could. I'm not sure what the upper limits of either console are, so I'd rather just wait and see. If by the time next gen swings around and that gap never closed, it never closed. But about 2013 October is when both released, and Xbox has made huge strides in performance in a very short amount of time. You can't say it hasn't closed since launch. The question is how much more or if it widens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.