Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but this is the part I'm generally unsure about: When you write an importer for an engine to take animations from a specific program that is meant to map the animations to the model etc - what part of the hardware is responsible for translating the actual geometry? does that sit with the CPU or the GPU? i guess either is doable.
It could be either or a bit or both. Skeletons adapting to geometry is probably vector heavy so it may be a good fit for the GPU

Likely because the system can't handle much more. We'll see if the full version has such poor texturing/meshing (it's clearly a playable area, so I wouldn't believe that this is an oversight in level design). But if the final version stays the same I'd leave chalk it up to performance. Would be curious to find out what part of the system is being bottlenecked here though.

I don't think it's only the hardware in this case, you can see the rocks in the background looking more uniform and smooth. So maybe the rendering budget was misplaced?

I don't think it's only the hardware in this case, you can see the rocks in the background looking more uniform and smooth. So maybe the rendering budget was misplaced?
Possibly yes. I guess the assumption is that you'll always see standing rocks, but you may not notice the snow floor. I think other games may create smoother meshes as you get closer to 'it' which is why it may be visible here, but not visible in other newer games.

Personally I think the game looks pretty nice, regardless of the low resolution textures and 30fps animations. I appreciate the whole (and the hz).

Oh me too, i think it looks great overall. It's just a very easy game to nitpick because it doesn't do a good job of hiding it's shortcomings imo. I also wanna see how it ends up after the day one patch.

Distant enemy animation (i think it's tied to enemies on screen + distance)

Is it an issue in the first Blue Team mission? I had wondered if it was tied to a certain performance metric like the dynamic res is to render/pixel load or if it was just a hard-coded thing (distance).

Just a question, but why would animations be taxing anyway? I could see if they had a physics-based animation system, or were blending many animations together, but I'd never thought of basic walking animations etc as particularly taxing.

Just a question, but why would animations be taxing anyway? I could see if they had a physics-based animation system, or were blending many animations together, but I'd never thought of basic walking animations etc as particularly taxing.
Well, they are blending animations and such, and including rudimentary "physics." There are often various animations that get blended based on speed and direction with hysteresis, games usually detect where the ground is and use funky methods for determining how the contact points should roll naturally on them depending on the slopes and stuff, etc. Even for just walking.

It's not like Halo 1 anymore where they're just looping a keyframed animation at a constant speed on a character made up of half a bone or so.

It's not that the animation is taxing per se, its that they can treat the background as static and reproject it ever other frame. That's where the saving is.

Well, my opinion is that this might be the busiest Halo game yet; LOTS of enemies and even friendly characters (mission 3 has some human soldiers) on top of the 3 AI squad members, sometimes with vehicles and / or background events - and it's all at 60fps. Obviously the real test would be to play the game in front of a TV, but I'd risk it and say that 343i made the right trade-offs. The overall look of the game is pretty damn nice, Sparth's art direction shines through it and IMHO he's one of the best artists in the entire game dev industry.

And the cutscenes are a whole another thing. It's spectacular, some of the scenes I've seen like the Infinity hangar bay would be quite hard to do even in offline CG; and the characters and their animation are quite amazing as well. Nathan Fillion is a well known actor for most geeks, and his character is spot on.

This might easily become the most technically accomplished Halo game ever.

Also, one more thing about the animation stuff - skinning is handled by the GPU as far as I know, so that might be another thing that they can conserve by updating at half the frame rate. It shouldn't be that expensive as far as I know but then again every % should count at 60fps. The game certainly has more stuff happening than many other titles at 30fps!

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Overall, it feels like Syndicate is a very positive step in the right direction. Stability isn't perfect, but there's no longer the sense that bugs, glitches and oddities actively intrude on the gameplay experience. Meanwhile, performance isn't up to the rock-solid frame-rates achieved by Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, but it's certainly good enough - especially on PlayStation 4. And we are reaping the benefits of an engine designed for the current generation of console hardware, as opposed to the moderately enhanced last-gen technology we saw in Black Flag. Conceptually and technologically, perhaps the raw ambition of Unity is missing, but Ubisoft has doubled down on gameplay and stability. Combine that with perhaps the most iconic location seen in the series to date, and we'd suggest that given the brutal time-constraints in producing these titles, Ubisoft has done well here and it feels like the series is back on track.

This is an incredibly lenient article towards the XB1 version, which has an unstable framerate compared to the stable and apparently very solid 30fps on PS4 (based on their own gameplay video).

While I counted 3 drops during the whole video on the PS4 including 2 during fast traversal and only one during usual gameplay (all 3 drops happening also on XB1), the XB1 version regularly hovers at sub-30fps or even mid-20s during gameplay when the game is usually locked at 30fps on PS4.

Sustained ~25fps with lowest at 23fps on XB1, locked 30fps on PS4:

UTd8LwG.png

Sustained ~27fps on XB1 during simple walking, locked 30fps on PS4:
eCQ0CWL.png

Regularly hovers at ~27fps during fast traversal, PS4 mostly locked at 30fps (except 2 cases):
CAWbgBS.png

Random drop at 24fps on XB1 during gameplay, PS4 locked at 30fps:
zCnzpaS.png

Now the article explains very clearly and elaborately the sustained and constant drops on XB1 during gameplay...:nope::

dipping beneath the 30fps threshold while PS4 holds firm

'Dipping beneath the 30fps threshold.' :LOL:

but where the Microsoft box dips into the high 20s
'dips into the high 20s'? more like hovers at mid 20s.

Meanwhile, performance isn't up to the rock-solid frame-rates achieved by Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, but it's certainly good enough - especially on PlayStation 4

So those drops are still good enough on XB1?

Conceptually and technologically, perhaps the raw ambition of Unity is missing, but Ubisoft has doubled down on gameplay and stability

No "PS4 trumps XB1" or "PS4 is faster and more stable than XB1 (and there is no catch)" or "PS4 performs better than XB1" in the subtites in this article? Very lenient I must say.

An unexpected turnaround given Unity generally ran better on Xbox One.

edit: oops. should have been unexpected. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
An expected turnaround given Unity generally ran better on Xbox One.

AnvilNext 2.0 the engine that just keeps on giving, i am wondering if they figure out how to run @ 1080p on Ps4 for AC games by the end of this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back