Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expected resolution cut, worse framerate and Medium settings on Xbone, especially with all those rumors about API problems and ESRAM management. Its launch game after all.

This however is like PS3 vs X360 comparison, but with resolution difference. Even framerate has less differences than on any game this gen, generally only 2-4fps.

Why is Xbone suffering from the same gamma issues as 360? You'd think they'd have taken care of that. What's funny is that there are people who actually prefer the black crush over gamma correct output. Also I was expecting DICE to finally implement SMAA which they showcased before release of BF3 instead of FXAA, and let's hope the upscale is only software.

Regardless this seems along the lines of multiplat launch games from previous gen, infact it seems better by comparison when you look at the differences between PC and console versions of FEAR, Quake 4 and such.

I expected resolution cut, worse framerate and Medium settings on Xbone, especially with all those rumors about API problems and ESRAM management. Its launch game after all.

This however is like PS3 vs X360 comparison, but with resolution difference. Even framerate has less differences than on any game this gen, generally only 2-4fps.

I actually expected the difference to be a bit smaller such as something like 900p on ps4 vs 720p on Bone but with the latter having better AA or slightly better framerate. The res difference alone should pretty much cover the bulk of the console power difference yet PS4 even goes further beyond with resource hogging HBAO and faster framerate. This should be as big of a difference multiplat gets one would hope.
But using BF4 as a barometer for multiplat difference is still not useful since it's a crossgen title and could well be rushed to meet the launch.

Versions look astoundingly close...I did think there should have been a bigger impact on IQ due to the higher resolution...but I guess I am wrong.

Only thing that's a bit different: AO.
And if I read it right, PS4 packing in HBAO is quite a surprise, as this is typically the first thing I turn down to enhance my fps :)

I think the reason most people will not see a big difference is because of the old computer graphics standbys of polygon count and texturing. The versions all have the same polygon models and textures. If you look at the difference between say the Original Xbox and 360/PS3, it's mostly due to polygon count and texturing/normal mapping. Sure resolutioin on 350/PS3 was higher, but even those PS2/XBox HD remakes that didn't redo the models looked last gen. Until we see a PS4 game have substantially greater polygon count and a different and superior lighting system than it's XB1 version, a lot of these cross platform games will look similar. The difference between the XB1 and PS4 Battlefield is more or less like different settings on the PC.

Given that some games such as NBA 2K14 supposedly have the same resolution, it would be interesting to see what tradeoffs needed to be made by the XB1.

Games like NBA had 1080p 60fps on 360 and PS3 already, so they're not necessarily a useful benchmark here.

HBAO is quite the doozy though. XB1 is the worse off for its absence.

5Y6IM82.png

That'd require a far bigger performance deficit than 50%! You under-appreciated what 50% means.

Now fix that blurry AA method in PS4 version or get rid of it all together in a day one patch also.

Well, if i'm not mistaken PS4 still has HDCP protection. There are some video recorders that bypass it but offer less IQ. Maybe that's the answer to some of our questons.

I think the reason most people will not see a big difference is because of the old computer graphics standbys of polygon count and texturing. The versions all have the same polygon models and textures. If you look at the difference between say the Original Xbox and 360/PS3, it's mostly due to polygon count and texturing/normal mapping. Sure resolutioin on 350/PS3 was higher, but even those PS2/XBox HD remakes that didn't redo the models looked last gen. Until we see a PS4 game have substantially greater polygon count and a different and superior lighting system than it's XB1 version, a lot of these cross platform games will look similar. The difference between the XB1 and PS4 Battlefield is more or less like different settings on the PC.

Given that some games such as NBA 2K14 supposedly have the same resolution, it would be interesting to see what tradeoffs needed to be made by the XB1.

Sure, but what I mean: when I set my PC on 720p output and then on 900p output...the difference in IQ is quite clear and obvious to me. Not so in the pics...that is why I was surprised...but, who cares...I already paid 120Euros for my BF4 preorder on PC...

The weird blurriness in DF's PS4 images is hard to explain indeed. I know they said they had some kind of capture issues. But I'm not sure capture issues alone can explain the difference here.

Looks like actual image IQ loss due to some filter. Like some kind of effect gone wrong.

Now fix that blurry AA method in PS4 version or get rid of it all together in a day one patch also.

In the identical view screenshot flash comparisons on GAF the XB1 version looks MUCH MUCH better than PS4. Of course as an older gamer jaggies don't bother me so that influences my view. That said, the PS4 version looks washed out and muddy. This may be HANNA showing its worth.

If PS4 can show this much of an advantage over XBO ( Frame rate, resolution, AA and effects ) this early on then I think Microsoft should be worried.

The more esoteric architecture design has always struggled more at launch and improved more as time has gone on. When madden launched last gen, ps3 was running at half the framerate of 360, but as devs learned the architecture they evened out. In this case it's reversed, the ps4 is fairly standard in its design so you'd expect the xbo will have more room to improve. If the only difference now is 180p, that's not too big a gulf to close over time as people understand how to utilize the xbo more fully.

Yeah...I really wonder what is going on with PS4 IQ? Is a bit unexpected...as I said, in my experience, 900p kicks 720p to the moon...especially with everything else being the same (framerate, effects, detail,...)

In the identical view screenshot flash comparisons on GAF the XB1 version looks MUCH MUCH better than PS4. Of course as an older gamer jaggies don't bother me so that influences my view. That said, the PS4 version looks washed out and muddy. This may be HANNA showing its worth.

Well, even DF says PS4 version looks better, and it's precisely in their comparison where both versions looks similar.

Yeah...I really wonder what is going on with PS4 IQ? Is a bit unexpected...as I said, in my experience, 900p kicks 720p to the moon...especially with everything else being the same (framerate, effects, detail,...)

I believe Xbox One game code was further behind for review copies.I also believe PS4 suffered from being a PC port to a degree.When a dev is targeting 5 systems and 2 of them being newer.I would expect the newer consoles to suffer the most.

I also look for AO and AA added to Xbox One retail release.I could also see improvements to PS4 release.

The more esoteric architecture design has always struggled more at launch and improved more as time has gone on. When madden launched last gen, ps3 was running at half the framerate of 360, but as devs learned the architecture they evened out. In this case it's reversed, the ps4 is fairly standard in its design so you'd expect the xbo will have more room to improve. If the only difference now is 180p, that's not too big a gulf to close over time as people understand how to utilize the xbo more fully.

How do you tell that in this case they are struggling due to "esoteric architecture" and not due to other factors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, even DF says PS4 version looks better, and it's precisely in their comparison where both versions looks similar.

I think that the comparison results are going to vary widely. If jaggies bother you or you are specifically looking for minor details to nitpick about then that will influence the comparison results. PS4 definitely comes out massively ahead on the Jaggies. However, for me, I rarely bother to turn on AA on my PC games as to me there is very minimal benefit and a substantial performance hit. It is much better to run everything at Ultra with no AA than medium or high with AA.

For Joe gamer or those from the time before AA existed, the XB1 is probably going to win the comparison. Certainly, every comparison shot that I have seen the XB1 has come out substantially ahead to my eye. Now whether that is AA, upscaling, texture or lighting differences I have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back