Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until i see SP on PS4 i want draw conclusions, but it seems that BF4 on PS4 will look significantly better.

I have a question about the software scaler in BF4. Is the scaling method determined Frostbyte engine or will this be inherint to the ps4?

Would games from other publishers employ this method of scaling on ps4?

:oops:

vIUBuNK.png

You can really see the halo effect from the sharpening in that one. The Xbox One comes across like a TV that is in showroom mode.

I have a question about the software scaler in BF4. Is the scaling method determined Frostbyte engine or will this be inherint to the ps4?

Would games from other publishers employ this method of scaling on ps4?

DF thinks software by the game. Probably to composite a native resolution HUD over the 900p game. Considering we don't know of any other PS4 games that are sub-1080p I wouldn't be worried too much about scaling problems.

You can really see the halo effect from the sharpening in that one. The Xbox One comes across like a TV that is in showroom mode.

DF thinks software by the game. Probably to composite a native resolution HUD over the 900p game. Considering we don't know of any other PS4 games that are sub-1080p I wouldn't be worried too much about scaling problems.

Why is the scaling so terrible? Even all EA's PS3 games were weren't as fuzzy as this when upscaled.

I'm seeing familiar differences in contrast again. Are color gamuts not yet set properly or the settings perhaps not yet supported in either OS for Full RGB (modern TVs, PC screens) vs Limited RGB (traditional TV)?

I'm seeing familiar differences in contrast again. Are color gamuts not yet set properly or the settings perhaps not yet supported in either OS for Full RGB (modern TVs, PC screens) vs Limited RGB (traditional TV)?

Someone from DF admitted their captures were flawed.

DICE supplied capture hardware to use but DF uses their own with fudged settings.

ModEdit: Source

Looks like they still have the same rubbish post process AA implementation they had in the PC version of BF3.

If PS4 can show this much of an advantage over XBO ( Frame rate, resolution, AA and effects ) this early on then I think Microsoft should be worried.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Are some of these boxes outputting reduced/full range and not being captured accordingly?

As for the differences, although the XB1 version is the lesser, it still looks remarkably similar. Joe Gamer won't notice the difference. The only huge difference that'd bug me is the lack of AO. Where on the PS4 version the guy on the floor was casting a contact shadow, there was no such shadow in the XB1 version and that really breaks the composition. If it were me, I'd add in the shadows at a sacrifice elsewhere.

Expected differences to be bigger, i'm quite surprised.

AA and resolution cuts were to be expected, HBAO is just one effect that missing, so in terms of settings both consoles have more or less parity.

Overall I preferred the colours and contrasts in the Xbox One videos.. Yes jaggies were distracting but definitely surprised with the result compared to PS4...

Can't wait to test this out for myself when I get it...

Versions look astoundingly close...I did think there should have been a bigger impact on IQ due to the higher resolution...but I guess I am wrong.

Only thing that's a bit different: AO.
And if I read it right, PS4 packing in HBAO is quite a surprise, as this is typically the first thing I turn down to enhance my fps :)

Expected differences to be bigger, i'm quite surprised.
Why? 900p is about 50% more pixels to draw than XB1's 720p, so that in itself covers the simple metric comparison. Adding in the other differences, there's quite a lot less numerically on the XB1. Of course, it's not as obvious to viewers which is what some have been saying for quite a while now. The actual image as seen by gamers isn't '50% better' given what the average Joe would take 50% to be, which would be 50% more everything and actually require an order of magnitude more power to enable. Is that what you mean?

AA and resolution cuts were to be expected, HBAO is just one effect that missing, so in terms of settings both consoles have more or less parity.
HBAO is quite the doozy though. XB1 is the worse off for its absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back