Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Is this not completely typical for basically any graphics card release that has a reference model? One of the main points of buying a 3rd party option is generally the 'better than stock' capabilities.
Lower power limits for stock operation are not common at all. AIB cards do often let you increase power draw to a higher out of spec level than reference cards though.

FF7 Rebirth is much worse than FF7 Remake visually. Horrible horrible indirect lighting in many many areas (they are practically last gen looking at this point), shadows are of much lower resolution, SSR reflections on water is bad, water rendering is awful, and there is a plethora of low res textures everywhere.

Apparently game is somehow sharper when PS5 output set to 1440p? I'd bet it's also sharper at 1080p, the way I played the demo. What's happening here?

FF7 Rebirth is much worse than FF7 Remake visually. Horrible horrible indirect lighting in many many areas (they are practically last gen looking at this point), shadows are of much lower resolution, SSR reflections on water is bad, water rendering is awful, and there is a plethora of low res textures everywhere.

The lighting is what really kills it for me. IQ issues can be resolved on PC but the total lack of even baked indirect lighting in places is just terrible.

Last edited:
The lighting is what really kills it for me. IQ issues can be resolved on PC but the total lack of even baked indirect lighting in places is just terrible.
They moved away from lightmaps due to impossible baking times and size.

Pretty sure UE4 never got offical solution for indirect light or probe occlusion with dynamic lights.

So they went from baking lots of lights, even some direct lighting to setting UE4 to fully dynamic and losing proper GI and all ambient/probe occlusion.
And shadows are really expensive, so we just have lots of unshadowed lights everywhere. (Distance field shadows could have been ok alternative for some places.)

What are the odds of square using RTXDI and RTXGI since they have plug-ins available in UE4?
Their RTXDI integration can't even really be described as a "plug-in" since their branch involves a wholesale replacement the engine's own native dynamic indirect lighting solution ...

Yeah UE4 is a travesty.
Sure but why would the image appear sharper using the 1440p (or possibly 1080p) output in the performance mode? I wonder if they don't do 2 (image destroying) upscalings when using the performance mode using 4K output. Like they would manually internally upscale the image to say 1440p then re-upscale another time to 4k kinda semi-automatically by the system / API. This would explain it to be sharper when set to 1440p because the second rough upscaling wouldn't happen.

Because personaly I find the game quite sharp when using the 1080p mode on my TV. No different than RE7 Remake. The main problem for me is the inconsistent lighting / assets like you put it in your video.

Is the FOV the same as Remake? I had to use a mod to fix the Remake FOV. Default was like viewing Cloud from the James Webb Space Telescope.

Is it financially better to use UE5 in FF7 last episode? Some people argue that using UE4 is cost-effective because using UE5 will cause development time much longer.

Is it financially better to use UE5 in FF7 last episode? Some people argue that using UE4 is cost-effective because using UE5 will cause development time much longer.
That depends if UE5 features can outweigh the needed cost of refactoring the engine itself for their specific purposes with shorter iteration times ...

Sony has added cloud streaming to the top-tier offering of its PlayStation Plus subscription service, so just how good or bad is it? Tom Morgan analyses the Sony offering, then pivots to Microsoft's Project xCloud, a part of its Game Pass Ultimate offering. How do the two systems compare in terms of game availability, image quality and latency? And just what are you getting with xCloud: Series X gaming or Series S? The answers are surprising.
00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:40 How PS+ Streaming Works
00:03:17 PS5 Install vs PS+ Cloud Image Quality Compared
00:06:32 PS+ vs xCloud Image Quality Compared
00:07:58 Frame-Rate Tested (A Plague Tale Requiem)
00:11:50 Frame-Rate Tested (Resident Evil 2 Remake)
00:14:47 Latency Tests
00:17:13 Round-up/Verdict

They moved away from lightmaps due to impossible baking times and size.

Pretty sure UE4 never got offical solution for indirect light or probe occlusion with dynamic lights.

So they went from baking lots of lights, even some direct lighting to setting UE4 to fully dynamic and losing proper GI and all ambient/probe occlusion.
And shadows are really expensive, so we just have lots of unshadowed lights everywhere. (Distance field shadows could have been ok alternative for some places.)

Sounds like a great advertisement for RT.

Given the scope of this second episode and how relatively quickly they did it, I think the smartest thing would be to keep pressing on with their current processes and workflow. UE4 might not be perfectly ideal, but the game still looks pretty good overall and the most important thing is that it's a quality experience as a whole. They can leave the fidelity-chasing to the mainline games.

Back