Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they require internet??
According to this Microsoft support article, you cannot complete the Xbox setup without being online:

Microsoft said:
Note You must be online when you set up Xbox for the first time. Without an internet connection, you can't finish setup. After your console has updated and you've added your profile, you can go offline.

I've not used any of my consoles offline although I know it's possible to use a PlayStation completely offline. You can buy it, set up a local user account and play games from disc without ever connecting it to the internet or PSN. When you buy new games, they ship with the required latest firmware on disc so you'll still get firmware updates when buying new games.

This is making me wonder what the Xbox dashboard experience is like when completely offline for several weeks, presumably there are a lot less ads!

Though it says you cannot finish setup, do you need to? Will the console operate without?
I've not tried it but this support thread on the Microsoft support forums from March suggests you cannot use the Xbox without completing setup. This matches my recollection of setting up my Series X last year, as you have to complete a series of setup screens which I do not recall as being skippable.

According to this Microsoft support article, you cannot complete the Xbox setup without being online:

I've not used any of my consoles offline although I know it's possible to use a PlayStation completely offline. You can buy it, set up a local user account and play games from disc without ever connecting it to the internet or PSN. When you buy new games, they ship with the required latest firmware on disc so you'll still get firmware updates when buying new games.

This is making me wonder what the Xbox dashboard experience is like when completely offline for several weeks, presumably there are a lot less ads!
But it also requires to connect online for every XB1 game you put in for the first time?

i have not tried the performance mode, but i should try this again to see how much it dips, because there it was more seconds per frame than the opposite ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
Teardown is a heavy game, even on PC so I'm not surprised to see consoles dropping to frame rates that low.

I have wondered if it's possible to use the RT hardware inside the GPU's to speed up some of the stuff the games doing.

Teardown is scaling super well on PC.

PS5 in it's unlocked performance mode renders at native 1080p and can drop to ~90fps in the burning building.

In the same scene, at native 1440p with max settings my 4070ti is running 120fps locked, and is actually CPU limited as it has another ~200mhz headroom on the GPU clock and another 28% worth of GPU utilisation to go.

So it would be close to 3x the performance of PS5 if I had a faster CPU.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 000609.png

I think that might have been what @Globalisateur was asking in the question above.
I know there are some games that just work, but I believe the majority of Xbox One games require an update to work on Series consoles. Well, maybe not majority, but a significant amount of notable titles, including first party games like Gears 5, and I believe every game that shipped on a disc after the Series consoles launched.

the only thing that bothers me with the game, on PS5 at least, don't know if the physics are more sophisticated on PC, is when you tear appart a building, if the upper part is still holding to a small bit attached to the ground or the rest of the building, it won't collapse despite the weight distribution, as it normally should, so you can have an entire floor almost floating in the air, attached by a tiny bit of structure, and it will fall only when you destroy that small bit.

I am so happy that i upgarded my monitor from VRR to VRR. From the beginning i knew this is gonna be huge win for me and save me a lot of headache!

Great video Alex! As always :love:

I know there are some games that just work, but I believe the majority of Xbox One games require an update to work on Series consoles. Well, maybe not majority, but a significant amount of notable titles, including first party games like Gears 5, and I believe every game that shipped on a disc after the Series consoles launched.
Sony do caveat PS4 backwards compatibility on PS5 with the statement "Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software." so there may be a software/firmware component, although I do recall that in the Road to PS5 video, Mark Cerny made it clear that backwards compatibility in on a silicon level in PS5 was something that AMD worked hard on.

I presume that was necessary as PS4/PS5 lack the hypervisor abstraction layer that Xbox One/Series does. It may be no more than that.

Re: Q4

Yes. There is a reason to keep an Xbox One.
It's a tiny reason, highly specific. But it's fact.

The Xbox 360 game Risen, when played through backwards compatibility, runs too fast on One X and Series S/X. The camera speed is tied to framerate. A small tap on the stick will spin your view all the way around. Controlling the game becomes, if not impossible, then certainly extremely frustrating.
On Xbox One/S, the game runs slow enough to enable reasonable control of the game.
That's why I'm happy that Risen was rereleased vor xb1 & xbs/x
I played through this game on my xsx and yes, it is possible (ugly but possible). But the game itself is so great and I really wanted to play it from my couch on a big screen. Well, but still waiting that the rerelease gets a price-cut ....

back to Topic:
Teardown is a great example of games that are possible but really need more power (for big destruction things). But I guess the performance is mostly cpu-limited because of the physics of the game. Not while getting a wall down, but for the big booms. But I still don't get it why the double-buffer vsync is applied. I would guess this is a bug but at least this should be better when using VRR as the lag is reduced by one frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back