Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
back to Topic:
Teardown is a great example of games that are possible but really need more power (for big destruction things). But I guess the performance is mostly cpu-limited because of the physics of the game. Not while getting a wall down, but for the big booms. But I still don't get it why the double-buffer vsync is applied. I would guess this is a bug but at least this should be better when using VRR as the lag is reduced by one frame.
In 2023 shouldn't they use GPU compute for the voxel physics? 10 years ago Housemarque did all the voxel physics using GPU async compute for Resogun (PS4).

I'm not familiar with either of the games being discussed here but from what I understand there's performance considerations in terms of CPU vs GPU depending on how much the rest of the game logic that needs to run on the CPU needs to interact with the physics calculations. This is why purely visual physics are almost always better run on the GPU but after that it's not as clear cut.

In 2023 shouldn't they use GPU compute for the voxel physics? 10 years ago Housemarque did all the voxel physics using GPU async compute for Resogun (PS4).

My GPU load increases when the on screen physics ramp up, not an exact science but that says to me that some of the physics are done via GPU.

PS Remote Play sucks. Always has, and they've done nothing to change it.

About the WiiU comparison though.. does Nintendo purposefully delay the image to the TV slightly to closer match it to the gamepad?

About the WiiU comparison though.. does Nintendo purposefully delay the image to the TV slightly to closer match it to the gamepad?
That's possible, but wouldn't really matter if it's the best latency you can get out of the system. Perhaps we could test the latency of something like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 or Injustice on WiiU against the 360/PS3 counterparts to see if the WiiU has some sort of built in deficiency here. I believe both BO2 and Injustice support on tablet play, so they could be tested both on tablet and on TV.

Plenty of people saying they love their PS Portal and the input latency is lower than what they were using before, not at the level of WiiU but not that far away. I think the latency really depends on your network setup here.

By the way if we compared to Switch I do think PS Portal could even have a better latency in some cases. Switch on portable mode (using the awful joy-cons BTW) has an additionnal latency compared to a real controller and a game playing at 20-30fps (like Hogwarts) will have an additionnal latency compared to 60fps on PS5. Someone should really do a comparison here and I think most would be surprised of the results.

In this week's DF Direct, the team catches up with the news about The Last of Us Part 2's remaster and wonders what the fuss is about, while Alex takes another look at Cyberpunk 2077 DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction across its updates and via the Alan Wake 2 DLL. Rich finally gets his hands on a PlayStation 5 'Slim' and unboxes it for your viewing pleasure, and Half-Life's 25th anniversary is celebrated by the team. Also: what is actually going on with Xbox's console sales in Europe?
0:00:00 Introduction and DF merch store!
0:03:13 News 01: The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered announced
0:17:27 News 02: Cyberpunk 2077 gets Ultimate Edition
0:35:16 News 03: Xbox sales down in Europe
0:53:19 News 04: Half-Life hits 25th anniversary, documentary released
1:07:59 News 05: StarEngine graphics update video released
1:19:30 News 06: Rich unboxes a PS5 Slim!
1:33:56 DF Supporter Q1: Have you checked out the Portal port for N64?
1:41:59 DF Supporter Q2: I think TLOU Part 2 looks similar to path traced games, with better image clarity - what do you think?
1:47:44 DF Supporter Q3: Do you worry that you emphasize top-end graphics too much in your game coverage?
1:50:37 DF Supporter Q4: Is there a niche for a powerful, exclusively handheld system in today’s market?
1:57:26 DF Supporter Q5: What if the new Switch was actually two consoles - a portable console and a home console?
2:02:07 DF Supporter Q6: Happy Thanksgiving! Do the American expats at DF celebrate Thanksgiving in their new European homes?

Plenty of people saying they love their PS Portal and the input latency is lower than what they were using before, not at the level of WiiU but not that far away. I think the latency really depends on your network setup here.

By the way if we compared to Switch I do think PS Portal could even have a better latency in some cases. Switch on portable mode (using the awful joy-cons BTW) has an additionnal latency compared to a real controller and a game playing at 20-30fps (like Hogwarts) will have an additionnal latency compared to 60fps on PS5. Someone should really do a comparison here and I think most would be surprised of the results.
I would have to ask how many of those people are using game mode on their TVs? This is a tech-savvy site, so you would expect everyone here to use that mode. Twitter, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who don't use game mode and would, for the most part, not be able to tell the difference. It doesn't mean the latency isn't there. It's just that they don't notice it or, if they do, don't realize where the issue might be.

I would have to ask how many of those people are using game mode on their TVs?
My PS5 and Series X both automatically enable 'Instant Game Mode' on my LG OLED. This has been the case for a while, it's the default behaviour of both consoles.

I would have to ask how many of those people are using game mode on their TVs? This is a tech-savvy site, so you would expect everyone here to use that mode. Twitter, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who don't use game mode and would, for the most part, not be able to tell the difference. It doesn't mean the latency isn't there. It's just that they don't notice it or, if they do, don't realize where the issue might be.

The DF review actually mentions that. If you don't use game mode on your TV you may not notice the additional ~4 frames of lag. If you use Game mode on TV, you're far more likely to notice (feels like 30 FPS gameplay with a 60 FPS stream, so a 30 FPS stream might actually feel like 15-20 FPS gameplay, ouch!)

My PS5 and Series X both automatically enable 'Instant Game Mode' on my LG OLED. This has been the case for a while, it's the default behaviour of both consoles.

Sure, but how many people are going to have a more expensive TV that supports auto detection and activation of game mode?

They wouldn't have to. The Wii-U communicated directly with the handheld and the hardware was designed around that functionality. So, basically similar latency to communicate with the handheld versus the latency to communicate with the TV.

Remote Play on the PS Portal has to go through your wifi-router which introduces a not-insignificant amount of lag as well as potential interference with other wi-fi devices which can become very problematic in locations like say an Apartment. Additionally we have no idea if there is bespoke hardware in the PS5 to handle remote play (realtime encoding, realtime streaming, etc.).

This is also why it would be a VERY bad idea if you could use it as an additional controller on the PS5 (something the DF review wished it could do). If the PS5 could directly connect with the PS Portal it would alleviate much of the latency issues as well as allow it to potentially be used as an additional controller.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The DF review actually mentions that. If you don't use game mode on your TV you may not notice the additional ~4 frames of lag. If you use Game mode on TV, you're far more likely to notice.

Sure, but how many people are going to have a more expensive TV that supports auto detection and activation of game mode?

Regards,
SB
i remember when my friend had a huge flat front CRT tv and we played rock band on the ps3, i used to play the drums
then he got a sony flatscreen hdtv which was optimized for movie viewing and i dont think it had a game mode (this was like 2008/09) and i couldnt play the drums anymore, the lag was so insane i had to calibrate so much
my friend was oblivious, he didnt understand why i was calibrating all the time

I know there are some games that just work, but I believe the majority of Xbox One games require an update to work on Series consoles. Well, maybe not majority, but a significant amount of notable titles, including first party games like Gears 5, and I believe every game that shipped on a disc after the Series consoles launched.
They did change something with a system update back in September of 2022. Maybe they've improved on it further since.

As for the console itself. The initial set-up requires a connection to XBL ever since the original Xbox One. As far as I'm Microsoft has never changed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back