Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Might be the best looking game of all time. Nice way to cap off an amazing year. I hear it's fantastic too.

Any ideas on the consoles "quality mode" PC IQ equivalent settings?

Is there a quality mode option for 40fps gameplay?

Anyhow, it's nice to see that Remedy opted to use a partial RT software-driven solution for the consoles.

Any ideas on the consoles "quality mode" PC IQ equivalent settings?

Is there a quality mode option for 40fps gameplay?

Anyhow, it's nice to see that Remedy opted to use a partial RT software-driven solution for the consoles.

I would guess it's the same, just running at a higher resolution to target 30 fps, but could be wrong.

I've heard from a buddy ray reconstruction forces post processing to high. That's pretty lame...

It actually makes a lot of technical sense. You probably couldn't do ray reconstruction after post processing in any game. Nvidia specifically recommends that post processing is done after upscaling for DLSS. I'd guess post processing would add too much to the image that would interfere with ray reconstruction results. Not exactly sure of everything they're doing in post, but the game has a ton of effects. They have motion blur, vignetting, lens distortion and probably other things that would interfere. Maybe colour correction and stuff.

Edit: Kind of sucks because it'll impact how I play around with ray tracing. On a 3080 path tracing would be a stretch, but maybe with post processing low it'll be viable. Will just have to play with the denoisers and see what the artifacts are with ray reconstruction off.

You can not compare the price of a PC vs the price of a console because the advantages of PC are so vast that it makes any comparison impossible.

For example:

• I can play 20 year old games on PC, can PS5 do that?
  • I can edit a video on my PC, can PS5 do that?
  • I can play Switch games on my PC, can PS5 do that?

It's pointless even trying to compare them.

Great video. Amazing looking game and such an interesting case study for mesh shaders. We have been talking about that on so many occasions and for the first time we can see it in action.
But what happens with PS5 that has support only for Primitive Shaders

You can not compare the price of a PC vs the price of a console because the advantages of PC are so vast that it makes any comparison impossible.

For example:

• I can play 20 year old games on PC, can PS5 do that?
  • I can edit a video on my PC, can PS5 do that?
  • I can play Switch games on my PC, can PS5 do that?

It's pointless even trying to compare them.
We are talking specifically about the performance of current Gen games and their tech. We are NOT talking about PC and Consoles as an overall computing device and multi functions.

The settings from the video:
PS5 performance
post process low
texture resolution medium+
texture filtering low
volumetric lighting low
volumetric spotlight quality low
global illumination quality medium
shadow resolution low
shadow filtering medium
shadow detail medium
ssao on
global reflections low
screen-space reflections low
fog quality medium
terrain quality medium
far object detail (LOD) medium
scattered object density medium

PS5 quality
post process low
texture resolution medium+
texture filtering medium
volumetric lighting medium
volumetric spotlight quality medium
global illumination quality high
shadow resolution medium
shadow filtering high
shadow detail medium
ssao on
global reflections low
screen-space reflections low
fog quality high
terrain quality high
far object detail (LOD) high
scattered object density ultra

Last edited:
We are talking specifically about the performance of current Gen games and their tech. We are NOT talking about PC and Consoles as an overall computing device and multi functions.

And that's why you can't compare the two because people seem to think it's OK to not factor in all of PC's advantages like they don't exist.

If we compare platforms then we have to compare every advantage/disadvantage fairly and not cherry pick the conditions of the comparison to bias towards consoles.

But what's the point of adding RT reflections on consoles if you have to put a resolution so low that there are more artifacts on the whole screen than just SSR ?

Speaking personally, I would say consistency. It's not just that SSR breaks down, it's that there are surfaces that should be reflective (both gloss and matt) which look wrong. Plus things like mirrors, which are visibly broken even to someone who knows nothing about graphics. Everyone knows how a mirror is supposed to work, or that glass reflects stuff. Super basic stuff that everyone intuitively knows.

A drop down to 1080p native would free up about 1/3 of frame time for reflections, and free up some memory to help with the BVH footprint. A third RT option - like Forza - would have been a welcome addition IMO. Fortunately I'm on PC so I can make sure I have this.

AW2 still looks amazing overall on console though. A fantastic effort from Remedy.

Edit: Another really solid Series S version of a next gen game too. Moving beyond cross gen has, if anything, helped the Series S.

Last edited:
There's nothing ignorant about expecting someone to do their own checking, especially after they've been told where to look.
No, a helpful and respectful member would have simply pointed out the timestamped area, and not assume that the other member did not watch the video. 99.9% of the video dealt with the PS5 "performance mode" PC IQ equivalent settings, and the still-shot of the PS5 quality mode equivalent in that moment just escaped me.

I think significantly more than 98% of gamers know to look for decent image quality or else developers would all be releasing sub 1080p games.

Most of them can probably notice a difference between 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k. Most could probably easily notice the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Most probably couldn't tell the difference between low AO and high AO and RT AO without someone telling them what to look for. Most probably couldn't tell the difference between low and medium shadows or medium and high shadows. And most don't even see a difference between Ultra and high. Hence why many just recommend to run games at medium or at most high shadows because the increased precision and fidelity of Ultra shadows is completely unnoticeable for the vast majority of PC gamers and the cost is so high.

Most gamers would likely still find good baked lighting to look just as good as RT lighting in games with static environments and static time of day. Which makes sense since baked lighting uses some form of RT to bake the lighting. They need to know to look at dynamic objects interacting with shadows to be able to know whether they are looking at baked or RT. A good developer making good use of shadow rendering tricks can still make that tricky for most gamers even if they are looking.

Hence, "decent" image quality varies from person to person and varies based on what that person naturally sees or more accurate what stands out most to that person's visual perception system. Hence why DLSS/FSR/XeSS (most any temporal reconstruction technique) is not decent image quality but image degredation for me while for others it's an overall improvement to them even with the various rendering anomalies introduced when using it. I don't have to look to find them because my visual perception system is drawn to them because that's what triggers warning signals in my brain that something isn't right, while for others they actually need to look for them to see them. Also, why until RT AO showed up I would just disable AO on any game that allowed me to disable it because it always looked wrong.

Regards,
SB

No, a helpful and respectful member would have simply pointed out the timestamped area, and not assume that the other member did not watch the video. 99.9% of the video dealt with the PS5 "performance mode" PC IQ equivalent settings, and the still-shot of the PS5 quality mode equivalent in that moment just escaped me.

And a member who's not lazy would have checked the video once it was pointed out to them what they were after was actually in the video.

But I'm not going off topic with you any longer so conversation is done.

Here, Alex will probably highlight this better but in the mean time lets all get on the same page about image quality. Stills left to temporal stablise are not showing what some people are talking about. The video is linked to the part to watch.

Ouch, that would drive me nuts. If I was able to play this (only on EGS on PC so never going to buy it), I'd absolutely 100% look to edit the config file for the game to enable native rendering. I can't believe Remedy decided it was a good idea to not expose that setting in the graphic settings menu.

Regards,
SB

Just tried these tweaks and hot damn, difference in very noticible.

Ugh, so just like Control, I'd absolutely 100% have to dive into config file editing in order to make the game both playable and palatable to play. Control, for example wouldn't allow disabling of motion blur or DoF in settings among other things that I'd need in order to make the game not look horrible. Makes sense as motion blur was used to help hide the temporal reconstruction artifacts in the game. But in that case those artifacts were the lesser evil to me compared to motion blur.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back